Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 124,269 times)

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: 343 on May 19, 2017, 12:34:49 PM
Quote from: newbeing on May 19, 2017, 12:32:24 PM
Quote from: 343 on May 19, 2017, 12:23:53 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on May 19, 2017, 07:47:39 AM
Prometheus is 6.9.

And back down to 74 for Covenant...
And to 73 and 6.4.

Score is now 60-40 or 50-50. 5/6 good reviews vs. 5 bad reviews. :-(
Why is that? If it will go on like this it will be 67% at the end. Still fresh, but no certified fresh anymore.
I haven't seen the film yet, but i am disappointed (in this score).  I really expected a 7,5/10 or 3,5/5. At least.

This is kind of the flaw with Rotten Tomatoes. A film that every critic rated a 6/10, which I think is the fresh cutoff, could still be a 100% fresh. It is not a good measure of quality imo.
Yes, but that does not explain the sudden downfall from 78% to 73% and dropping.

I think because it was just released in the US some critic reviews are still being collected, thus the fluctuation in score. I've seen ratings change for movies months after their release.

I'm guessing it will end up hanging around the 75% area.

As for what the number means, who cares? You'll formulate your own opinion. I used to be afraid that public opinion would sway my own, but really how hyped or cautious you are going into something doesn't really matter.

Quote from: gantarat on May 19, 2017, 01:36:00 PM
Quote from: 343 on May 19, 2017, 01:31:06 PM
Yes, but if it remains certified fresh? That is the question. To certified fresh or not to certified fresh. ;-)

Movies designated with the seal retain the Certified Fresh status as long as their Tomatometer remains above 70%.  The Certified Fresh designation may be held at the discretion of the Rotten Tomatoes editorial team.

https://flixster.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/62679-what-is-%22certified-fresh-%22
I know, but at this current rate with the bad reviews and it will end below 70% for sure.

Quote from: newbeing on May 19, 2017, 01:46:32 PM
I think because it was just released in the US some critic reviews are still being collected, thus the fluctuation in score. I've seen ratings change for movies months after their release.

I'm guessing it will end up hanging around the 75% area.

As for what the number means, who cares? You'll formulate your own opinion. I used to be afraid that public opinion would sway my own, but really how hyped or cautious you are going into something doesn't really matter.
I hope so, but i doubt it.

Sure, i will make my own opinion, but a good score and sales are important also. I want to see more Alien-movies in the future.

newbeing

newbeing

MovieBob *SPOILERS* in this one

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: newbeing on May 19, 2017, 12:32:24 PM
Quote from: 343 on May 19, 2017, 12:23:53 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on May 19, 2017, 07:47:39 AM
Prometheus is 6.9.

And back down to 74 for Covenant...
And to 73 and 6.4.
Score is now 60-40 or 50-50. 5 good reviews and 5 bad reviews. :-(
Why is that?
I haven't seen the film yet, but i am disappointed.  I really expected a 7,5/10 or 3,5/5. At least.

This is kind of the flaw with Rotten Tomatoes. A film that every critic rated a 6/10, which I think is the fresh cutoff, could still be a 100% fresh. It is not a good measure of quality imo.

Actually, many of the supposedly fresh reviews have very rotten quotes... The only realistic data there is the average on top... the percentage is a decoy...

Protozoid

Protozoid

I wonder what the most common!y used words in the reviews are. I feel like a lot of focus is on expectation. Prometheus was "disappointing" but "ambitious" and Covenant appears to be "satisfying" but "familiar".

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

:o

Just got back.  Mind Blown.  I'm still processing what happen but David is a SOB period.  I think the Prologue should of been left in the film. 

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 19, 2017, 06:46:18 PM

Just got back.  Mind Blown.  I'm still processing what happen but David is a SOB period.  I think the Prologue should of been left in the film.

Good to hear! How filled was the cinema and what kind of vibe did you get from the audience during/after the film?

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

Quote from: cucuchu on May 19, 2017, 06:49:28 PM
Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 19, 2017, 06:46:18 PM

Good to hear! How filled was the cinema and what kind of vibe did you get from the audience during/after the film?

I saw the first showing this morning.  About half full.  Honestly, "Alien" films have never been "HUGE" at the box office because they are "R-rated" horror film really.   So my expectations box office wise are to pretty much just match "Prometheus" numbers.  Basically 120 Domestic (400-500 Worldwide).   As for the film, I really liked it because I was nervous it wasn't going to be a Prometheus sequel but it really was when you see how David basically carried over from one film to the next.   I think only Bishop got multiple roles per movie outside of Ripley.   I think some people will be upset with how the Engineers were handled but I thought it was very interesting honestly.   Can't wait for "Awakening".   But the crowd I was with, there were several of screams and gasp.   And the ending has all of us like "NOOO", lol.

iain

kwisatz

kwisatz

Wow his thesis about Ridley having a massive crush on Fassbender actually has the potential to explain everything.

gantarat

gantarat

As i expect joe didn't like movie.

BishopShouldGo

Dude that closeup of the crew picture at the end made me cringe. I actually gasped. So so so bad.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 19, 2017, 09:54:45 PM
Dude that closeup of the crew picture at the end made me cringe. I actually gasped. So so so bad.
Why?

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Remember, guys, Angry Joe liked Terminator: Genysis. And Suicide Squad.

The point is, people in the same larger fandom of any series will like and hate different films. It's inevitable. I like the Terminator series, for example, and I liked Genysis in spots. It's not the best film in the series, but it's not the worst. So I can understand why Joe likes it, and why someone might not like it. Hell, I understand why people wouldn't like Alien or Aliens.

I think I probably get why Joe, here, dislikes Covenant: It's not what he wanted it to be. That's it. It's full of "stupid" things that, to him, don't make any sense. But look at the guy's props and costumes. He's a full-blown fan. So much room to disappoint someone who carries all that kind of expectation around with him.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 19, 2017, 10:24:00 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 19, 2017, 09:54:45 PM
Why?

Probably because we've seen it all over the internet by now as a marketing picture.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed