Spoilers: Xenomorph origin revealed

Started by genocyber, Mar 13, 2017, 09:15:14 PM

Author
Spoilers: Xenomorph origin revealed (Read 52,478 times)

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: Evanus on Mar 14, 2017, 04:30:49 PM
I don't see how they can make two more movies just about David perfecting the Xenomorph. They'll have to include something else to make it more interesting. But what?

I don't know. Maybe I'm completely wrong and they'll still purely focus on David and his creations. I really hope not though.

You and me both. I cannot fathom what kind of story they are going to tell with these characters for another two films. I see a lot of excitement for this series to continue in two more films, and I am not being negative just for the sake of being negative, but I cannot see how they couldn't just wrap this story-line up in one more outing.

I liked how, when Covenant was first announced, that Prometheus was referenced as part one of a prequel trilogy; this makes the most sense to me from a narrative standpoint. However, starting a new trilogy with Covenant, and then Covenant 2, Covenant 3... man, that is a lot. Quality over quantity—we already had duplicated efforts and questionable content in the last quadrilogy.

newagescamartist

Quote from: lv_226 on Mar 14, 2017, 08:30:31 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Mar 14, 2017, 04:30:49 PM
I don't see how they can make two more movies just about David perfecting the Xenomorph. They'll have to include something else to make it more interesting. But what?

I don't know. Maybe I'm completely wrong and they'll still purely focus on David and his creations. I really hope not though.

You and me both. I cannot fathom what kind of story they are going to tell with these characters for another two films. I see a lot of excitement for this series to continue in two more films, and I am not being negative just for the sake of being negative, but I cannot see how they couldn't just wrap this story-line up in one more outing.

I liked how, when Covenant was first announced, that Prometheus was referenced as part one of a prequel trilogy; this makes the most sense to me from a narrative standpoint. However, starting a new trilogy with Covenant, and then Covenant 2, Covenant 3... man, that is a lot. Quality over quantity—we already had duplicated efforts and questionable content in the last quadrilogy.

I highly doubt the next two movies will deal purely with experimenting. I imagine the next story will show us something completely new. If David really is creating or re-creating the most dangerous lifeform in the galaxy, I imagine another alien race in the galaxy would have a problem with that and attempt to stop him. Could be a film where David negotiates with both humankind and the gods, maybe even turning them against each other with some trickery and his pets. I think the narrative is going to get a lot more expansive if Covenant does well at the box office. Heres hoping.

Evanus

Evanus

Yep, agreed. Really curious what they're going to do next. I'm hoping to learn more of the engineers, and possibly their creators.

SpeedyMaxx

I can't see how it goes on for more than maybe one more, either. (I also expect any survivors of Covenant to face a fate similar to Shaw's in the future, which is already repetitious.) And I think it diminishes Alien to keep banging the xeno/egg/facehugger/etc. drum 20 years before the events of that film, with or without David, especially if he is made a part of its genesis. I think they took the most conventional and limiting story track after Prometheus for a bigger short-term return. You could've done all sorts of horror stories out in the wild frontier, years after the movies.

Sutekh The Destroyer

Quote from: FreeFacehugz on Mar 14, 2017, 08:47:06 AM
Quote from: Theecatindahat on Mar 14, 2017, 08:00:06 AM
Quote from: Neomorph on Mar 13, 2017, 11:44:37 PM
This is sounding less and less plausible.

We already have a mural show that xenos existed already and I've already pointed out its physically impossible to have a handful of xeno eggs.

You're taking the term 'handful' literally to describe the size of the eggs. Remember 'handful' is also used to mean a small number of something.
Spoiler
The eggs will be similar in size to what we are familiar to.
[close]

Pretty sure he was joking lol

Thanks for the vote of confidence but unfortunately I was actually being that dense. Was have a weird moment.

Infected

Infected

It doesnt surprise me and i think this will be the truth, the last weeks ive been getting the vibe and thought that this whole thing,
is gonna be about Fassbender aka David.
They just replaced Ripley with David.
We arent and will never get the real mystery that we all wanted about the jockeys, we got a giant bald guy in a suit,
Ridley isnt capable of giving us that magic that he did with Giger back in '79, you know why? because Alien never was his big dream to make, it was just a movie for him wich he filled with some simple "art" back then, with the help of Giger, thats why we never got anything after Alien from Ridley, his passion was more in drama etc.
Now he sees that there is much more in this franchise, and by that i mean money, and simple milking the cow, and that cow is us.
When Ridley was on stage with Fassbender and Waterston, he said my job is to scare you.
And that scared me, yes. Why? because i dont give a oreo about being scared, the reason i watch Alien over and over, is because of the first act, the mystery the questions, i dont watch it to see Ripley in her undies or to see how Lambert or Hurt is getting it.
Im there for the magic the unknown stuff, so Ridley is doing this to scare people, well to me that sentence of his scared me,
because that is not understanding us the fans and the magic that surrounds the alien universe.
I can deal with a giant bald engineer, but give us more mystery and questions and answers, but i cant deal with Fassbender being the creator of this all.
So i say to you all, dont get to exited cos this whole thing can backfire big time in your face, and the dissapointment will be massive if  Ridley fails.

I mean he wants to do a sequel to Gladiator, with Maximus in the after life......

genocyber

If it was me I would not have David make the xenomorphs at all. It feels like it goes against everything that makes them unique creatures. I would have followed up on Shaw's fate of her merging with the tech of the ship to stay alive, and be transformed into a new abomination. Something of a more Giger-esque queen with David her reluctant helper.

CainsSon

CainsSon

At the end of the day, I blame fans and the studios for constantly wanting a series to deliver what it has ALREADY delivered.

You can say Im being negative for the sake of being negative, but Im really suped for this movie. It looks amazing. But what I see here, with David just having these eggs in his basement, is an entire, more interesting film being skipped in favor of cutting to 'what the fans want.'

But fans dont know what they want until they get it. They know what they DON'T want or aren't getting. And the studios should only consider the latter.

This is FOX listening to fans, who want to see more of what the series WAS and less of what its become. But there is a difference between fixing mistakes and hobbling mistakes.

Its the same business with ALIEN-KAMP. It should just continue from where it left off and work away from the what isn't good. That's all. Rectify, Downplay, whatever. Don't skip or hit delete because fans weren't happy. Those films wont go away because you hit a 'RESET' button.

I hope I'm wrong but I imagine FOX wants this to end up as just another ALIEN movie next. X amount of people landing on another planet. Oh no! More Aliens.

FOR EXAMPLE:
Its the same thing as when they try to remake Friday the 13th, because fans want to see more Jason. Except it took 3 movies to even get to what we consider 'JASON' to be. So we end up with a Friday The 13th Remake, that blasts through all of the events of the first 2 films in 20 minutes, just so Jason can put on a Hockey Mask and they can start where 'fans want them to.' And then the same fans are asking "Why did it suck?"
Well, it sucked because they were afraid to take any real risks.

Im glad RS was trying to inch his way toward things, but Im unhappy with seeing a lack of confidence in new ideas, cause us to revert to fall back 'what the fans want.'

Meanwhile, Im reminded of a PERFECT ORGANISM / Prater argument on his podcast. He notes: Everyone is so unhappy with this trailer (Im not. Im suped for the movie, I just hate what they are doing to gut the ending of Prometheus for this.)
Prater asked:
What is it that fans want? If this isn't delivering it, then what could you possibly want? They are never satisfied.
The truth is - They don't even really know, they just know when they aren't getting it, and the studio has to take a leap of faith.
This thing with David making the eggs, isn't a leap of faith. Its not trying anything at all.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Xenomorphs existed long before David's experiments. I assumed you watched Alien :). Derelict was an ancient ship. It's no-brainer.

CainsSon

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 14, 2017, 09:44:42 PM
Xenomorphs existed long before David's experiments. I assumed you watched Alien :). Derelict was an ancient ship. It's no-brainer.

I agree and hope they will head in this direction. But HOW DAVID makes these Eggs is just bollucks. I dont have a problem with him MAKING them or perfecting the creature. I have a problem with them just skipping over him actually doing it.

DaveT937

The question 'what do fans want?' is a really interesting one.

I've had lots of debates with my brother on this. He constantly moans about how bad Prometheus was - I actually agree with him, in the main. It was so disappointing - how Covenant will probably be rubbish, etc. I keep asking him 'what do you want then?' His answer to this? 'For them to let the franchise be'.

Quite an interesting answer I thought.

Should we just be content with the wonder of Alien and leave the beast alone? I, for one, can still watch it now and can completely ignore the path they tread with the Jockey in Prometheus. I don't consider it ruined, so I'm fine with them trying new things. It doesn't diminish the original for me.

Let's see what they cook up in Covenant. I was massively burnt by Prometheus, so my expectations are pretty low. I don't think I can be that disappointed again.

Roll on 12th May.

Infected

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 14, 2017, 09:44:42 PM
Who said the derelict was ancient? some old smoking space trucker/labour guy.

zoidy

zoidy

Is it too late to say ... it's just a movie  ;)

CainsSon

Quote from: DaveT937 on Mar 14, 2017, 09:56:30 PM
The question 'what do fans want?' is a really interesting one.

I've had lots of debates with my brother on this. He constantly moans about how bad Prometheus was - I actually agree with him, in the main. It was so disappointing - how Covenant will probably be rubbish, etc. I keep asking him 'what do you want then?' His answer to this? 'For them to let the franchise be'.

Quite an interesting answer I thought.

Should we just be content with the wonder of Alien and leave the beast alone? I, for one, can still watch it now and can completely ignore the path they tread with the Jockey in Prometheus. I don't consider it ruined, so I'm fine with them trying new things. It doesn't diminish the original for me.

Let's see what they cook up in Covenant. I was massively burnt by Prometheus, so my expectations are pretty low. I don't think I can be that disappointed again.

Roll on 12th May.

I think if you ask people, fans, right now "What do you want?" You will get one of 4 answers.
Either a) More Prometheus b) More Alien with less Prometheus and tell me that Jockey ISN'T a man in a suit or c) ALIEN-KAMP and bring back Hicks d) A story that has nothing to do with any of this. But there have been 2 sets of sequels now, that tried this and those people still aren't happy. A:C is the 4th Alien film since A:R. Ripley is long gone.

If I had to answer the question, I would tell you, I want something Pulse-pounding and perverse, with strong characters, and a stronger narrative. Im not against an Alien 5, but wrap it up. The series needs a solid direction and finish.

I think PROMETHEUS has problems. I enjoy it. Its most of those things, I want, until the MEDPOD scene, and then it just doesnt follow through. I think that as the series continues, fans will see it more as source for rather endless speculation about what's really going on and if they clarify some minor things it will be looked back on fondly.
As hated as PROMETHEUS is, it never actually does anything to outright explain that SPACE JOCKEY. If they just hint at the idea that its NOT an Engineer even more - even if they never get to what that SJ ACTUALLY is - this could change a lot of people's minds.

echobbase79

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 14, 2017, 09:43:45 PM
At the end of the day, I blame fans and the studios for constantly wanting a series to deliver what it has ALREADY delivered.

You can say Im being negative for the sake of being negative, but Im really suped for this movie. It looks amazing. But what I see here, with David just having these eggs in his basement, is an entire, more interesting film being skipped in favor of cutting to 'what the fans want.'

But fans dont know what they want until they get it. They know what they DON'T want or aren't getting. And the studios should only consider the latter.

This is FOX listening to fans, who want to see more of what the series WAS and less of what its become. But there is a difference between fixing mistakes and hobbling mistakes.

Its the same business with ALIEN-KAMP. It should just continue from where it left off and work away from the what isn't good. That's all. Rectify, Downplay, whatever. Don't skip or hit delete because fans weren't happy. Those films wont go away because you hit a 'RESET' button.

I hope I'm wrong but I imagine FOX wants this to end up as just another ALIEN movie next. X amount of people landing on another planet. Oh no! More Aliens.

FOR EXAMPLE:
Its the same thing as when they try to remake Friday the 13th, because fans want to see more Jason. Except it took 3 movies to even get to what we consider 'JASON' to be. So we end up with a Friday The 13th Remake, that blasts through all of the events of the first 2 films in 20 minutes, just so Jason can put on a Hockey Mask and they can start where 'fans want them to.' And then the same fans are asking "Why did it suck?"
Well, it sucked because they were afraid to take any real risks.

Im glad RS was trying to inch his way toward things, but Im unhappy with seeing a lack of confidence in new ideas, cause us to revert to fall back 'what the fans want.'

Meanwhile, Im reminded of a PERFECT ORGANISM / Prater argument on his podcast. He notes: Everyone is so unhappy with this trailer (Im not. Im suped for the movie, I just hate what they are doing to gut the ending of Prometheus for this.)
Prater asked:
What is it that fans want? If this isn't delivering it, then what could you possibly want? They are never satisfied.
The truth is - They don't even really know, they just know when they aren't getting it, and the studio has to take a leap of faith.
This thing with David making the eggs, isn't a leap of faith. Its not trying anything at all.

Who's saying the movie doesn't have David explaining how he made the eggs before he shows Chris?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed