Better cluster of six "known" actors?

Started by BishopShouldGo, Oct 05, 2016, 10:18:52 PM

Prometheus vs. Alien: Covenant, which has the better class of its six top-billed actors?

Prometheus: Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Marshall-Green, Elba, Pearce
5 (45.5%)
Alien: Covenant: Fassbender, Rapace, Waterston, Crudup, McBride, Bichir
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author
Better cluster of six "known" actors? (Read 1,257 times)

BishopShouldGo

I give Prometheus the slightest edge for having Oscar-winner Theron in it. That's just the one thing Covenant needed. A Theron, a Crowe or a Blanchett. Just one.

Fassbender and Rapace are in both, so it's pretty much equal there. Even though Rapace is probably in a smaller part in Covenant and Waterston is taking her place as the female lead. Waterston should be catapulted in popularity after FANTASTIC BEASTS.

Now let's take the other groups of four: Theron, Marshall-Green, Elba, Pearce. Theron is A-list. Marshall-Green was and still is unknown. Elba at the time was just taking off in the big blockbuster world, with Thor preceding this movie. Pearce is a great, semi-known character actor who led MEMENTO.

Now let's take the remaining three from A:C: Crudup is probably on the same level as Guy Pearce. They're pretty much at a tie. He led ALMOST FAMOUS, which like Memento, was a great film from long ago from a prolific filmmaker. McBride is inspired, as is Bichir. Bichir is an Oscar-nominee but is in a lot of lesser known films still, but still has pedigree from HATEFUL EIGHT. Overall those two are more known than someone like Marshall-Green, but nobody in this cast tops Theron except perhaps Fassbender, but he's a holdover from the previous entry anyway.

I vote Prometheus, marginally.

Enoch

Covenant - better cast!!! PERIOD.

whiterabbit

I think I have to go with A:C.

lv_226

Great question. Both casts are comprised of excellent talent!

Corporal Hicks

It's hard to really say as I don't really know any of the actors in Covenant. On paper, Prometheus had a fine cast but the only one who really stood out was Fassbender.

Scorpio

Aside from Fassbender and Rapace, I'm looking forward to seeing Waterston.  She has the kind of natural charisma that Sigourney Weaver did.  The others I don't know too much about.  Tess Haubrich I saw in a small role in Infini.  Billy Crudup I remember from Watchmen.

Corporal Hicks

I'd forgot about Crudup. Loved him in Watchmen (I really love that film). I recently saw Blair Witch with Callie Hernandez. She was alright.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 06, 2016, 08:49:01 AM
It's hard to really say as I don't really know any of the actors in Covenant. On paper, Prometheus had a fine cast but the only one who really stood out was Fassbender.

I second this. On paper, the cast for Prometheus is stellar. But McBride is amazing and under-used in anything that isn't comedy. He's a film guru and monk in his own right. He loves movies in a way I doubt most of Prometheus' actors ever could.

We all need to remember something very important, here. Alien was a hit because the actors were all unknowns, really. Prometheus had way too much star power for its own good. Work with unknowns, you go in without being able to put your finger on things; expectations are replaced with mystery. "The future, once so clear to me, had now become like a dark highway at night." That's what Alien is all about, baby.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed