Yes, to the Predator universe only
4 (5.3%)
Yes, to both universes
24 (31.6%)
No I do not consider the AVP movies canon
48 (63.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author
Do you consider the AVP movies canon? (Read 22,531 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2016, 08:32:51 PM
QuoteCanon, in my opinion, should be sometimes subjective, rather than be at the hands of some exec trying to control a franchise.

Those creating content in the franchise need a common point of reference however.

It is a copyrighted material that belongs to Fox, so they have right to dictate what is an official continuity of their story.  Other than that, everybody has a right to, and is capable of coming up with their own head canon as it were.

For me, the AVP films work with the Predator films and all the Aliens films, but not the Prometheus film.  My Prometheus canon includes Prometheus and Alien and Aliens.  I just think that the hokey inclusion of Bishop II in Alien 3 on some level jives with The Weyland character in AVP.

Randomizer

I do consider AVP canon even though there are contradictions between it and the Alien movies. Have my own headcanon running in here. On the other hand I cannot say the same for AVP-R. That's somewhere in an alternate universe pretending it never happened since the ending didn't seem to help much to the overall timeline.

TheBATMAN

No they are not canon because Prometheus has since retconned the origins of the Weyland Corporation. Those who argue they can somehow co-exist are just drowning in their own desperation. It also doesn't really matter what Fox officially releases either. Canon relies upon consistent continuity as much as anything else. Alien 3 and Blomkamp's film if it ever gets made cannot both be canon. Either Alien 3 is retconned out of existence (in a story sense) or Alien 5 is marketed from the get go as an irrelevant what-if sequel.

The AVP films are alternate reality now, thank the lord.

Master

Master

Whatever you say dude.  You are the BATMAN after all.

@Randomizer

Shame on me, I'll  go whip myself as repentance.

Randomizer

Randomizer

How dare you say (the) BATMAN without capital letters !?

EDIT: Am I that dominant?  :laugh:

Kaltes

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Sep 09, 2016, 09:09:13 PM
No they are not canon because Prometheus has since retconned the origins of the Weyland Corporation..

Which is good, because having Bishop be Weyland made no sense.

SrSpinelli

The AvP movies are an insult to both franchises
Turned the Xenomorphs, Stealthy monsters, smart, dangerous, strong an could resist taking several bullets(Marines used different kind of bullets in Aliens.) into a weakling creature that squeals like a baby monkey.
Turned the Yautjas, the noble space Hunters into cowards that kill people for fun(guy freezing to death, numerous deaths in AvPR), made an Elder Predator kill several innocent humans for fun, pretty sure it's against the their law to lie to inferior species saying that they are their Gods.

I can continue if you want.

RakaiThwei

Right now, in my opinion, best way to compare the films altogether is like how Fox handles the X-Men franchise's continuity..

SamuelDL

I would say yes. As they said, they do not interfere with either of the two franchises and I think it enriches both universes. They are not bad movies, especially the first one. We can not compare them with the masterpieces of the saga, but I consider them very enjoyable. They are an interesting point of view and it is always exciting to see Alien and Predator together in real image.

SrSpinelli

Quote from: SamuelDL on Nov 16, 2016, 10:42:43 AM
I would say yes. As they said, they do not interfere with either of the two franchises and I think it enriches both universes. They are not bad movies, especially the first one. We can not compare them with the masterpieces of the saga, but I consider them very enjoyable. They are an interesting point of view and it is always exciting to see Alien and Predator together in real image.
It shits on both
Predators hunting in thecold, killing unworth prey, using Xenos as trial and making up bullshit with the "Mark" thing, Xenos being super skinny and weak, Predators being extremely stupid, Xenos being found on Earth(when the first record was on Nostromo.) a Praetorian that impregnates pregnant women, a giantic Xenomorph Queen when the first one was like, two times taller than the average Warrior, making Xenos stupid and basically shitting on the Predator honor with the whole "Gods" things.

Yes, they are bad movies. they do interfere with both franchise, they kill Weyland and make him look exacly like Bishop designer(which was on Alien 3 only to represent the company)

So no, they aren't canon.

SiL

SiL

Hunting in the cold is fine (and is even established in the movie that when the temple was set up, it wasn't cold). Aliens have always been skinny: the ones in the AvP movies were fat by usual standards. The AvP Queen was considerably older than the original as well.

SM

SM

What's "killing unworthy[y] prey"?

windebieste

Quote from: SrSpinelli on Nov 16, 2016, 09:38:52 PMthey kill Weyland and make him look exacly like Bishop designer(which was on Alien 3 only to represent the company)

I don't even understand how this is a problem.  Weyland and Bishop 2 are completely different characters.  So what if they are both portrayed by the same actor? Why is this even an issue?  The similarities in appearance can easily be explained and attributed to recessive genes.  That is, traits, including appearance - that have become apparent in future generations if a direct genetic lineage can be traced. 

What's more, there's an alternate take on this issue you may like to consider.  There's been a long standing debate as to whether Bishop 2 was human - or another android representing the company's interests.  That's an issue that's never been adequately resolved and probably never will be.  In this regard, both version of Bishop could just as easily be 'tribute' versions of the founder of the company.   It sure makes for a good argument that Bishop 2 IS an android, huh.  That's big headf**k right there.

Either way, it's not that bad an issue, really.  Jeeze.

I'm not even sure if it even conflicts with 'PROMETHEUS' where Guy Pierce' depiction Peter Weyland could be a direct descendant of Bishop's Weyland.  After all, the 2004 founder of modern robotics could easily be associated with the 2023 version of the Weyland company CEO who talks about more synthetic humans becoming a reality by blood ties.  It sounds like a reasonable progression to me and not that difficult to accept.  It's actually quite plausible.

What else is there that suggests otherwise?  I can't recall offhand...  I'd have to watch all the movies with this idea in mind to ascertain any concrete conflicts. 

-Windebieste.

SrSpinelli

SrSpinelli

Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2016, 10:41:05 PM
What's "killing unworthy[y] prey"?
A guy that was freezing to death, a fat man that wasn't a threath, a police man that had seen Wolf

Quote from: SiL on Nov 16, 2016, 10:24:18 PM
Hunting in the cold is fine (and is even established in the movie that when the temple was set up, it wasn't cold). Aliens have always been skinny: the ones in the AvP movies were fat by usual standards. The AvP Queen was considerably older than the original as well.

And that Queen shouldn't be that big, after all, many comics and games showed that Queen are twice or a bit more bigger than a Normal Xeno, the only ones bigger than that were Empresses and Queen Mothers

SamuelDL

Quote from: SrSpinelli on Nov 16, 2016, 09:38:52 PM
Quote from: SamuelDL on Nov 16, 2016, 10:42:43 AM
It shits on both
Predators hunting in thecold, killing unworth prey, using Xenos as trial and making up bullshit with the "Mark" thing, Xenos being super skinny and weak, Predators being extremely stupid, Xenos being found on Earth(when the first record was on Nostromo.) a Praetorian that impregnates pregnant women, a giantic Xenomorph Queen when the first one was like, two times taller than the average Warrior, making Xenos stupid and basically shitting on the Predator honor with the whole "Gods" things.

Yes, they are bad movies. they do interfere with both franchise, they kill Weyland and make him look exacly like Bishop designer(which was on Alien 3 only to represent the company)

As well said Windebieste, the Bishop of Alien 3 is an android or a descendant of Weyland that we see in Alien Vs Predator. But aside from small details... it is a film very well filmed, with amazing shoots and with some great ideas (the pyramid, place it in the Antarctic, the origin of the confrontation). I would rather Resurrection not be canon instead of this one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed