Katherine Waterston’s Role In ‘Alien: Covenant’ Revealed?

Started by Stolen, Jun 09, 2016, 06:47:48 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston’s Role In ‘Alien: Covenant’ Revealed? (Read 38,322 times)

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 09, 2016, 11:23:07 PM
Why all the hate?  The Alien films have always been about Ripley's story.

Ripley, Ellen: The unluckiest space trucker in the known universe. Fine! We saw her tale. She's dead. Blomkamp needs not to change that. Ripley the Galactic Hero, fated to fight the Alien like Vader was fated to fall to the dark side and Star Wars is the saga of the Skywalker clan? No. Just no. The idea applied to Alien is vomitously horrible. Bad enough we have Ripley's daughter. Now her mom, too?! If true, it's completely ridiculous.

OTOH, isn't there a Dark Horse comic where Ripley is fated through her great-grandfather on earth or something and the aliens have some sort of genetic memory of the Ripley clan? It's a stupid   difficult idea to swallow (because how would the alien species magically know the Nostromo would somehow encounter the derelict or have any contact at all), but it does set a precedent of sorts.

PsyKore

I'd probably wait for more concrete info on this. I personally wouldn't like to see it happen though. But I don't think Ridley really takes much consideration of video games or anything else, so it probably wouldn't be as "on the nose" if he were to do it.

whiterabbit

Simple maths.

Ripley's mum + Engineer == ZOMFG that's why she is so damn tall and manly.

Ah screw all you uptightwads; I can dig Waterston playing Ripley's mother.

SiL

I'm one of those people who really likes the original Paranormal Activity. I'm a sucker for ghost stories and the fact the thing feels like shit happening to two normal, every day people gets under my skin -- particularly watching it in an old, creeky, two story house. That shit's effective.

But then the sequels rolled out, and it's not shit happening to two normal people. It's this long, family-specific stream of witches and lore and all sorts of bullshit. This isn't something that could happen to anyone, it's something that happens to these specific people and anyone unlucky enough to meet them. And it's f**king boring. It takes the edge off of it.

That's where things like Isolation and this rumour -- hopefully just that -- take us. Alien stops being about poor space truckers, it starts being about the curse of the f**king Ripley family. It wasn't just any hapless souls who happened upon the derelict, it was The One. f**k off already.

Really, really getting bored with every sci fi story turning galaxy-spanning events into a series of unfortunate events for one special family.

whiterabbit

I only need to know one thing. Where they are.

and by they, I mean the aliens. I don't really care who else is along for the ride. That's how I look at it. Plus Ripley's mom looks freaking hot.

CainsSon

CainsSon

WTF man. I hope this is garbage.
And to think I was just arguing that just having 3 sequels before ALIENS made the series too convenient!

There is no way to make this happen unless they come up with some VERY, VERY good reason this relates to Ripley's inclusion later on.
And that reason has to be good enough for this to be necessary.
How the hell are we supposed to believe Ripley ends up on LV426 2x and encounters these same circumstances, just by chance?

Are they going to insinuate that Ripley knew what the crew of the Nostromo were doing there all along, - to find her mother and didn't tell anyone? Because that's f**king stupid.

The whole thing is f**king stupid.

It's exactly what people hate about prequels. How can they make this same star-wars prequel-type mistake again here?

Up till now, Ive liked EVERYTHING Ive seen and heard surrounding this movie (apart from the word 'ALIEN' in the title).

Ripley's Mother = Faith in film deflated.

Scorpio

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jun 10, 2016, 01:57:56 AM

Ripley, Ellen: The unluckiest space trucker in the known universe. Fine! We saw her tale. She's dead. Blomkamp needs not to change that. Ripley the Galactic Hero, fated to fight the Alien like Vader was fated to fall to the dark side and Star Wars is the saga of the Skywalker clan? No. Just no. The idea applied to Alien is vomitously horrible. Bad enough we have Ripley's daughter. Now her mom, too?! If true, it's completely ridiculous.

Not the first Alien but the sequels definitely turned it into that.  But if Alien 1979 hadn't made the character so iconic she would never have returned.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 10, 2016, 02:40:39 AM
I'm one of those people who really likes the original Paranormal Activity. I'm a sucker for ghost stories and the fact the thing feels like shit happening to two normal, every day people gets under my skin -- particularly watching it in an old, creeky, two story house. That shit's effective.

But then the sequels rolled out, and it's not shit happening to two normal people. It's this long, family-specific stream of witches and lore and all sorts of bullshit. This isn't something that could happen to anyone, it's something that happens to these specific people and anyone unlucky enough to meet them. And it's f**king boring. It takes the edge off of it.

That's where things like Isolation and this rumour -- hopefully just that -- take us. Alien stops being about poor space truckers, it starts being about the curse of the f**king Ripley family. It wasn't just any hapless souls who happened upon the derelict, it was The One. f**k off already.

Really, really getting bored with every sci fi story turning galaxy-spanning events into a series of unfortunate events for one special family.

True, the first movie is not about Ripley, she just happens to be the survivor of that movie.  Until James Cameron's Aliens rolled around, and turned the Alien series into the Ripley saga.  Now we've had 3 movies that revolve around the character.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 10, 2016, 03:24:01 AM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jun 10, 2016, 01:57:56 AM

Not the first Alien but the sequels definitely turned it into that.  But if Alien 1979 hadn't made the character so iconic she would never have returned.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 10, 2016, 02:40:39 AM

True, the first movie is not about Ripley, she just happens to be the survivor of that movie.  Until James Cameron's Aliens rolled around, and turned the Alien series into the Ripley saga.  Now we've had 3 movies that revolve around the character.

Yes, finally someone understands.  The Alien series is defacto the Ripley series.  Anyone who denies her iconic nature is delusional.  Every attempt to make an Alien related film has always depended on some sort of imitation of Ripley's archetypal persona.  We don't need to see Ripley's Mom, but we do need a retcon of Alien 3.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 09, 2016, 07:47:44 PM
I really hope this ends up being incorrect. It would be such a lame and on-the-nose thing to do. Fox really need to let go of the Ripley character.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I like Isolation and they did a pretty damn good job. But I wouldn't want another game with Amanda. Leave the Ripley family alone please... Bring back Noomi, Shaw was a good character!

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 10, 2016, 03:47:39 AM
Yes, finally someone understands.  The Alien series is defacto the Ripley series.  Anyone who denies her iconic nature is delusional.  Every attempt to make an Alien related film has always depended on some sort of imitation of Ripley's archetypal persona.  We don't need to see Ripley's Mom, but we do need a retcon of Alien 3.

Everybody understands. Some like it more than others. I think we do not need to see Ripley's mom, nor do we need a retcon of Alien 3. But because someone at Fox wants it this way, we will likely get both. It's interesting that the authors of the limked article had to rescind the rumor as Fox says it's a spoiler.

Scorpio

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jun 10, 2016, 04:12:56 AM

Everybody understands. Some like it more than others. I think we do not need to see Ripley's mom, nor do we need a retcon of Alien 3.

We didn't need 3 sequels and 3 spinoffs to Alien either but we got them.  You know if they mess this whole thing up, it will just get rebooted in 20 years anyway.

I'm sure a Ripley origin story would bring in the crowds.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 10, 2016, 04:18:17 AM

Everybody understands. Some like it more than others. I think we do not need to see Ripley's mom, nor do we need a retcon of Alien 3.

We didn't need 3 sequels and 3 spinoffs to Alien either but we got them.  You know if they mess this whole thing up, it will just get rebooted in 20 years anyway.

Hmmm, you know a Ripley origin story could fit in very well into an Alien: Isolation film.  We could see the departing moments of Ripley as she takes off for the Nostroma.  That's natural, and it propels the story along of Amanda searching for her mother.  Ripley's mother could be along to say goodbye to her mother as well.  But I think if we have anything too adventurous or alieny happen to Ripley or her mother prior to Alien, then the whole thing will just be ridiculous.  To me, Ripley's interesting adventures start when she heads off towards LV-426.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 10, 2016, 04:25:08 AM

Hmmm, you know a Ripley origin story could fit in very well into an Alien: Isolation film.  We could see the departing moments of Ripley as she takes off for the Nostroma.  That's natural, and it propels the story along of Amanda searching for her mother.  Ripley's mother could be along to say goodbye to her mother as well.  But I think if we have anything too adventurous or alieny happen to Ripley or her mother prior to Alien, then the whole thing will just be ridiculous.  To me, Ripley's interesting adventures start when she heads off towards LV-426.

Ripley is 30 years old in Alien, so there's plenty of room for backstory.  And you can always use amnesia to explain why Ripley doesn't remember. 

You could have teenage/20 something Ripley searching for her mother (Daniels), so she boards the Nostromo to do so.  Very much like Alien:  Isolation.

If the Han Solo movie makes a lot of money you can bet they will do this.  Just cast a hot young star to play 'young Ripley'.  Licence to print money.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 10, 2016, 04:57:42 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 10, 2016, 04:25:08 AM

Ripley is 30 years old in Alien, so there's plenty of room for backstory.  And you can always use amnesia to explain why Ripley doesn't remember. 

You could have teenage/20 something Ripley searching for her mother (Daniels), so she boards the Nostromo to do so.  Very much like Alien:  Isolation.

If the Han Solo movie makes a lot of money you can bet they will do this.  Just cast a hot young star to play 'young Ripley'.  Licence to print money.

There's going to be a Han Solo movie?  The problem is that it just wouldn't make any sense for Ripley to have problems prior to Alien.  The likeliness of that much stuff happening in one life is astronomical.

Giger Beast

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Jun 10, 2016, 03:49:59 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 09, 2016, 07:47:44 PM
I really hope this ends up being incorrect. It would be such a lame and on-the-nose thing to do. Fox really need to let go of the Ripley character.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I like Isolation and they did a pretty damn good job. But I wouldn't want another game with Amanda. Leave the Ripley family alone please... Bring back Noomi, Shaw was a good character!

Yes, in times like these I really wish they'd have kept Shaw. Noomi was awesome.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed