A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 35,962 times)

Corporal Hicks

No doubt. It's an obvious decision for them considering the mass positive response that came following Blomkamp posting the concepts.

Russ

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 01, 2016, 09:12:09 AM
What I do love about Blomkamp is he acknowledged that! He said writing wasn't his best area and he endeavoured to get help with it. His wife (I think?) is working on the script with him but she also worked on Chappie and while I did love that film, it had issues with the script.

I did not know that! Wow - well - great, that's awesome. I've not seen Chappie, so can't comment, but I thought the concept was a bit ropey - but as I say, that's probably unfair.

Honestly, I'm thrilled that he knows his strengths, though... that's really positive news in terms of the script.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Russ on Sep 01, 2016, 11:30:41 AM
What I do love about Blomkamp is he acknowledged that! He said writing wasn't his best area and he endeavoured to get help with it. His wife (I think?) is working on the script with him but she also worked on Chappie and while I did love that film, it had issues with the script.

I did not know that! Wow - well - great, that's awesome. I've not seen Chappie, so can't comment, but I thought the concept was a bit ropey - but as I say, that's probably unfair.

Honestly, I'm thrilled that he knows his strengths, though... that's really positive news in terms of the script.

Hopefully she will make him understand how silly and childish this retcon idea is, and even if that's not the case they will have to take A:C and Paradise Lost (?) in account anyways. There is a good chance that Ridley's prequels might indirectly nullify the entire concept of Blomkamp's A2, forcing Blomkamp to go a different direction.

But, as I mentioned before, I have this feeling that either A:C or its sequel will introduce some kind of Engineer enabled quantum warping time/space traveling, which will open up for parallel timelines and/or universes where both A2 and A3 can exist at the same time. From FOX's point of view that's a win-win situation as they can churn out whatever they want from that point, making more money on the franchise than ever before.

Kurai

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 02, 2016, 02:45:35 AM
Hopefully she will make him understand how silly and childish this retcon idea is, and even if that's not the case they will have to take A:C and Paradise Lost (?) in account anyways. There is a good chance that Ridley's prequels might indirectly nullify the entire concept of Blomkamp's A2, forcing Blomkamp to go a different direction.

This is something that I've been thinking about for a while now. Ridley's prequel project doesn't end with Covenant. It would be a bit of a business blunder to do Blomkamp's idea before all of Ridley's prequels are out of the way. If we consider there to be at least one more prequel, and it takes two years to develop, that's at least late 2019 before Blomkamp can get going on his own Alien movie and none of that is taking into account his own projects.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Russ on Sep 01, 2016, 11:30:41 AM

But, as I mentioned before, I have this feeling that either A:C or its sequel will introduce some kind of Engineer enabled quantum warping time/space traveling, which will open up for parallel timelines and/or universes where both A2 and A3 can exist at the same time. From FOX's point of view that's a win-win situation as they can churn out whatever they want from that point, making more money on the franchise than ever before.

NOOOO!!!! Don't give them any ideas, Beagle!  :laugh:

SM

Make it so the USM, having insufficient data years prior to Resurrection, cloned Newt and Hicks hoping they carried the Alien Queen.  Those clones grew to adulthood normally etc.  They meet Ripley learn of their former lives via Call but have no memory of them.

You can touch on whether destiny is genetic, coupled with the religious aspect of Ripley ('For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.' Jeremiah 29:11), as well as shooting monsters.

The Alien Predator

Kurai

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2016, 05:31:01 AM
Make it so the USM, having insufficient data years prior to Resurrection, cloned Newt and Hicks hoping they carried the Alien Queen.  Those clones grew to adulthood normally etc.  They meet Ripley learn of their former lives via Call but have no memory of them.

You can touch on whether destiny is genetic, coupled with the religious aspect of Ripley ('For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.' Jeremiah 29:11), as well as shooting monsters.

That sounds pretty much perfect.

Does anyone know what Winona Ryder's opinions on the movie is? On the franchise as a whole for that matter?

BishopShouldGo

Yeah that's a good way to smooth it over. I feel it wouldn't work for most people though. I personally want the real trio. If you're going to give us Ripley, Hicks and Newt, then give us thee Ripley, Hicks and Newt. Gotta go all in.

Quote from: Kurai on Sep 02, 2016, 05:53:30 AM

That sounds pretty much perfect.

Does anyone know what Winona Ryder's opinions on the movie is? On the franchise as a whole for that matter?

She thinks the movie is a cool, artsy French movie, although doesn't view herself favorably. She was disappointed she never got to do another one.

Corporal Hicks

Blomkamp has already spoke about meeting with Ridley about the project and having had to change some elements of the film to fit in with the prequels. That's not to say that Ridley couldn't do something down the line to complicate matters even more but as he is serving as EP on both, I'd imagine that they'd be working together when Alien 3.2 gets back into swing.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2016, 05:31:01 AMMake it so the USM, having insufficient data years prior to Resurrection, cloned Newt and Hicks hoping they carried the Alien Queen.

Blood samples from Fiori 16 on ice, I presume?

Scorpio

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 02, 2016, 05:54:16 AM

She thinks the movie is a cool, artsy French movie, although doesn't view herself favorably. She was disappointed she never got to do another one.

That's the thing.  Michael Biehn was never an A-lister.  Winona Ryder was in the 90s, and she still gets roles in big movies (like the Star Trek reboot).  Makes more sense to bring her back than Biehn.

Russ

It's a grand idea, but I still think it'll be hypersleep dream all the way. Even as Beagle says above with the quantum time mechanics stuff being introduced, I'm just thinking how they'd get that across without all sorts of exposition. Whereas with the hypersleep dream, they literally could do a few cuts of the old movies interspersed with "the current scenario." And we know that these dreams are visceral cos Fassbender is watching Rapace's dreams in "Prometheus."

I don't think they'd have them drift in hypersleep for centuries and have that as why they've aged (cos that would mean Newt is a twelve year old with an adult body and that'd be daft. Unless they "downloaded the experiences" from another hypersleep dream so she's all growed up).

As Corporal Hicks says - its a shitty way to handle it, but it is the most expedient. Everyone knows "hypersleep" and "cryofreeze" etc, but I'm not sure how many people will remember the UCM from Resurrection and all that.

So in a way... this doesn't retcon those movies in the effect that it acknowledges those experiences - just that those experiences were not real.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Sep 02, 2016, 09:30:36 AMIt's a grand idea, but I still think it'll be hypersleep dream all the way.

If they do this... the retcon really will be a complete joke.

If you're gonna scrap the films, scrap them. Don't come up with pathetic work-arounds.

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 02, 2016, 09:38:08 AM

If they do this... the retcon really will be a complete joke.

If you're gonna scrap the films, scrap them. Don't come up with pathetic work-arounds.

It's just a theory - didn't they say that they're acknowledging the other movies? I'm sure I read that, and if they are doing that, I can't think of a neater way to explain it all away without clones and all sorts of stuff. Just technically - I mean, it'll be be what... two/two and half hours... it'll take a while to go into the whole "well, we were cloned" stuff.

Then again, the setups in Alien and Aliens were very lengthy, weren't they, but I'm not sure that "modern audiences" would sit still for an hour build up - even if Fox let NB do that in the first place.

As I say, its only my guess that they'd go down that road cos its established in the canon for one and for another, as I say, most people will "get" cryosleep/hypersleep - its almost a trope now. Whereas the deep mythos stuff may not be as accessible to Joe Public.

Conversely, we have the "performs fan service" quote and we know that NB is a huge fan - maybe he would want to get into the deep myth stuff and get it out there?

That'd be ace - but my gut reckons the freezerino dream will be the "acknowledgement."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed