Alien: Life and Death

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 27, 2016, 11:07:57 AM

Author
Alien: Life and Death (Read 27,715 times)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I actually liked how Moritat
Spoiler
drew the hive interior on the second to last page. The fact that the xenos are keeping Chris alive gives me hope that we might still get some Labyrinth-type shenanigans, though I doubt DH would go as far as they did back then.
[close]

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 22, 2016, 07:49:42 PM
I actually liked how Moritat
Spoiler
drew the hive interior on the second to last page. The fact that the xenos are keeping Chris alive gives me hope that we might still get some Labyrinth-type shenanigans, though I doubt DH would go as far as they did back then.
[close]

Yes! I definitely agree with your spoiler that it would be very cool if they decided to go that route! That's the kind of stuff I want to see in these new comics.

Kurai

Kurai

Just picked this up and I'm not a fan of how the Aliens were drawn at all, though the humans looked ok most of the time. Then again, Jill's sad emoticon face made me giggle later on for all the wrong reasons. XD
This also may be a bit of a weird criticism, but I feel they drew Chris as too attractive and stereotypical comic femaley. She's been established as having a long face and the Fire and Stone team even had her being picked on for her looks.

About all the running around and combat, I don't get what the real issue with this is. It makes sense in the story and we've had fairly restrained action until now. What I think people are having trouble with is realising that this isn't issue 1 of a new series, it's issue 12 of Life and Death. The numbering and naming is really messing with people's heads it seems. One thing I picked up from that previously linked negative review is the repeated statement that the issue doesn't work as a jumping on spot for new readers. Well of course not, it's the middle of the freakin book. >_>

That said, I do think the issue could have used some more plot pieces to make it stand out more from other Aliens combat scenes.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I actually agree with the criticism of how Chris has been drawn in the whole event. In Fire and Stone she had a very distinctive hooked nose that neither Mutti nor Moritat has drawn. Small, but I noticed it, too.

SM

SM

Chris' 'distinctive nose' wasn't obvious in F+S Predator or Omega either.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Kurai on Sep 23, 2016, 06:25:56 PM
Just picked this up and I'm not a fan of how the Aliens were drawn at all, though the humans looked ok most of the time. Then again, Jill's sad emoticon face made me giggle later on for all the wrong reasons. XD
This also may be a bit of a weird criticism, but I feel they drew Chris as too attractive and stereotypical comic femaley. She's been established as having a long face and the Fire and Stone team even had her being picked on for her looks.

About all the running around and combat, I don't get what the real issue with this is. It makes sense in the story and we've had fairly restrained action until now. What I think people are having trouble with is realising that this isn't issue 1 of a new series, it's issue 12 of Life and Death. The numbering and naming is really messing with people's heads it seems. One thing I picked up from that previously linked negative review is the repeated statement that the issue doesn't work as a jumping on spot for new readers. Well of course not, it's the middle of the freakin book. >_>

That said, I do think the issue could have used some more plot pieces to make it stand out more from other Aliens combat scenes.

Nice review Kurai, that pretty much sums it all up for me too. I would just like to add a few things:

1. Moritat should never draw an Alien in his life again. Sorry for being so blunt, but it's the truth. The humans and other scenery is much better drawn. But the Aliens, horrible. Like Xenogenesis or Sam Keith or maybe worse for me. Not only are they always running on all 4's, they have the wide big bug mouths jaws and always opened. And that's just for starters. Easily tied for the worst part of the book.

2. The story. Actually, what story? I still cannot see any.

It's getting to the point where I'm about to give up on this series. I know for sure I'll never buy anything written from Dan Abnett again. I'm so happy i didn't drive to the store last week just for this. I must have read it in 5 minutes.

Every comic has been just bang bang run run hide bang bang...absolutely not one mention of anything scientific or any writing that requires an iq of more than 5 to understand.

I don't know who came up with this story but it could have been written and drawn much better. It was a series that basically needed more love or someone that's really passionate about the series. It seems as if all this was written by someone who's working on it as if it's just a side project.

4/10 I would give this issue. All the points going to the location (LV-223) and also the ending, which shows some hope for the next issue.

The good news is I got Aliens Defiance #5 with this at the same time.

SM

SM

Fire & Stone had sciency stuff.  Life & Death (as you may have gathered from the title) is about combat and survival.  There's very little room for waxing lyrical.

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

Im digging over all how fast paced everything is. I dont mind techy and speech laden comics, but its a nice change of pace from Fire and Stone... complete page turner :) Just kinda sucks how Dark Horse is spacing all of the books out to 1 a month.

I need to pick up the Fire and Stone Omnibus, I heard there was a lot of unused concept art in it (including Deacons)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Surprise!

I actually really liked this issue, the art is squigly and not good but I still enjoyed it more than the art in Prometheus L&D. I liked where the events went and the aliens felt like an actual threat.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

The art actually really grew on me after I looked at the issue a few times. Moritat's xenos are cartoony, but he does add a good amount of detail, so I can dig it. I agree that the xenos felt like a credible threat in this issue. Have you read the solicitations for the coming issues? I'm interested to see
Spoiler
what the Marines' plan is to use the queen. I'm hoping for a cool sequence where they capture her.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So I enjoyed #1 far more than I thought I would. Clips along at just the right pace, not stuffed, just the right setup, some great character moments in the artwork. In general, I think the artwork was good but the Aliens are still too cartoony. They're on the same level as Sam Keith.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

DH has a short preview of #2. Beware of spoilers!
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/29-804?page=0

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 13, 2016, 01:13:41 AM

Thanks Ultra.

Some weird sh!t in there lol. That first thingy on the first panel looks freaky. The rest is the same as every other issue. And what is up with those cartoony baby headed anime looking humans. They weren't drawn like that in the first issue. Whoever coordinated this entire series...is definitely not the same person who made Defiance and the future Dead Orbit series..it can't be...

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 13, 2016, 01:13:41 AM

Yea pretty meh about the artwork. The creatures on the first page look similar to the things we saw in Fire & Stone. I also don't know why I didn't piece this together before but Chris & Jill, that's got to be a reference to the Resident Evil series where most people expected the Chris & Jill characters in that series to hook up but they never did. I could be wrong though, just my thought.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoZipper on Oct 13, 2016, 06:06:07 AM
Yea pretty meh about the artwork. The creatures on the first page look similar to the things we saw in Fire & Stone.

Yeah, I think they're the monkey things from Prometheus - Fire and Stone.

I actually think the artwork in that preview looks better than #1. Doesn't look so cartoony to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed