Alien mural, giant head, 2000 years and jesus

Started by [BAM] Yojimbo, Oct 03, 2015, 06:51:58 AM

Author
Alien mural, giant head, 2000 years and jesus (Read 1,641 times)

[BAM] Yojimbo

Hey guys I just had an epiphany, in my view this makes more sense than anything has yet to come up with!

When they enter that preservation chamber they see the giant head and shortly after the alien mural which so just happens to be in a crucifixion position... What if Jesus actually was an ambassador sent by the engineers and because he was crucified they decided the human race was no good and decided on the re creating the black goo to "start fresh".

This makes complete sense with the 2000 time line and the massive religous overtones the film has.

You could argue "why didnt they just have a mural of jesus then?" answer? Because that would be as corny as f**k! Majority of people would cease to take prometheus seriously after that and it would be panned by critics and religous organisations alike.

So reason for alien mural? Because the alien symbolises death.  Since they crucified jesus there would be a great irony in having death up there, effectively symbolising our fate!

Clearly the giant head is also a symbol/figure that the engineers worship, they aren't just going to put auntie hildas cousin John twice removed on there.

To me the alarm bells ring clear, giant head = god, alien mural in a crucifixion position = jesus being crucified and lastly the 2000 year time period this a makes sense.

Its also clearly we was on a relative good terms with the engineers with the cave drawings spanning tens of thousands of years and suddenly it all went suddenly wrong 2000 years prior.

I am not some religous nut, im not even Christian however these reasons make the most sense to me and since religion and believing is plastered all over this film it makes so much sense, they could of just stuck a jesus on that mural but if they did I think the majority of the audience would start looking eachother confused or just plain laugh as that would be totally corny, I know i would of.

It would of made the plot too obvious and would of plain just made bad story telling.

Plus the allusion to all this seeking for answers throughout the film and the open ended ending alluding to a sequel it just makes sense!

whiterabbit

Ridley, is that you? :P

The mural is that flying spaghetti monster Carlos Haunte drew up with the Deacon super imposed on top. With some face huggers and people etc thrown in a baphomet pentagram.

This thing.

The jesus thing just isn't all that exciting.

Valaquen

Quote from: [BAM] Yojimbo on Oct 03, 2015, 06:51:58 AM
What if Jesus actually was an ambassador sent by the engineers and because he was crucified they decided the human race was no good and decided on the re creating the black goo to "start fresh".

It occured to you? This is almost word for word what Ridley said in a 2012 interview that was a bit of a bombshell.

QuoteMovies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

RS: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an "our children are misbehaving down there" scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Lets' send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him.
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

Infected

Well it took you long enough.

Perfect-Organism

Anybody ever notice in the film that when they mention the 2000 years, there is a sound effect in the background that sounds like laughing?  I think that was intentional.  Probably Ridley laughing.   :laugh:

oduodu

Spectragraph

The thing that flies around and scans everything with red lazer light - it makes a sound - that's probably what you heard.

Perfect-Organism

No, I thought that too.  But it is quite clearly a laugh.  Give it another listen.  The sound is different..

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 05, 2015, 06:42:59 PM
No, I thought that too.  But it is quite clearly a laugh.  Give it another listen.  The sound is different..

It's a Predator mimicking Ridley's laugh.  :P

Seriously though, I never noticed that before. I might have to rewatch the film and give it a careful listen.

Primordial

Listened to that part in a loop but couldn't detect it.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 05, 2015, 06:57:08 PM

Seriously though, I never noticed that before. I might have to rewatch the film and give it a careful listen.

Ok, seriously, I can't be the first person to detect that.  It sounds like a voice from that animation of the engineers running.  Remember that moment when Fifield goes, "what was that?", and then the animation happens?  Well you start to hear all these strange engineer sounds.  Then at one point, just as David mentions "2000 years", you can clearly hear a laugh in the background.

Valaquen

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 05, 2015, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 05, 2015, 06:57:08 PM

Ok, seriously, I can't be the first person to detect that.  It sounds like a voice from that animation of the engineers running.  Remember that moment when Fifield goes, "what was that?", and then the animation happens?  Well you start to hear all these strange engineer sounds.  Then at one point, just as David mentions "2000 years", you can clearly hear a laugh in the background.

I don't own Prometheus. Someone please verify this  :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

I just re watched that section of the film.  Indeed at the moment when you hear the "laugh", the spectrograph arrives.  So possibly it is the spectrograph, but I have to say it sounded just like a laugh.  Perhaps it was used as an opportunity to insert that little inside dark joke.

markweatherill

Seriously, the giant head needed to belong to a giant body.

Then it could have been like Jason and the Argonauts from then on.
They could have had flying alien harpies and everything.

Mustangjeff

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 06, 2015, 12:12:48 AM
I just re watched that section of the film.  Indeed at the moment when you hear the "laugh", the spectrograph arrives.  So possibly it is the spectrograph, but I have to say it sounded just like a laugh.  Perhaps it was used as an opportunity to insert that little inside dark joke.

Like how crappy their recording medium is :)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: markweatherill on Oct 09, 2015, 07:23:00 AM
Seriously, the giant head needed to belong to a giant body.

Then it could have been like Jason and the Argonauts from then on.
They could have had flying alien harpies and everything.

You know, we actually discussed something similar in another thread recently.  Consider the notion in the Fire and Stone series that the deacon actually planted itself and grew to become a mountain.  This opens up all sorts of possibilities.  One of which is that the pyramid structures may have actually been grown.  Perhaps they were engineers that sacrificed themselves to become the pyramids.  I mean, the structures do have heads on top of them.  Why would they do that?  Likewise, the giant engineer head, could literally be an engineer who turned himself into that particular installation through conscious reworking of his DNA so he became a building of sorts.  We know so little of the engineers, but if you consider the events of Fire and Stone, this becomes a possibility.

So maybe the giant head did not belong on a giant's body, but maybe it used to be just a dude...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed