Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 196,770 times)

426Buddy

It's not just the forum, its really the fan base as a whole. Everyone likes this series for their own reasons and everyone has strong opinions on what they like and don't like about the franchise.

Personally I think its because every movie in the alien franchise has been wildly different in tone and story.

XenoZipper

I don't feel the unity like you guys do but that's me. Most fans I've come across end up being kind of dicks & it was their opinion or nothing. Just my experience with the franchise. I'm glad you guys have had positive experiences but I haven't had much yet.

426Buddy

Not sure if i ever felt any unity with the fan base. What i'm trying to say I think is that this isn't that kind of franchise. What I've noticed since I've been visiting places online over the last few decades, you are mostly right, other fans are really passionate and really fight for the validity of their opinions. So if you're looking for unity and agreement about what makes this series great, you probably aren't going to find that anywhere.

XenoZipper

Yea you're right on that. I guess it's just the part of me that doesn't like debating or arguing with people over opinions that kind of taints it for me a little bit. I don't like to be confrontational at all and just look for the like minded people to avoid that as much as I can. It's just too bad the opinions are so all over the place for this particular franchise. I don't experience it nearly to this extent on any others.

Mr. Clemens

This place is a tea party compared to the music forums I visit!  :D

Anyway back on topic, thanks everybody for using the spoiler tags. Getting mine tomorrow.  :)

Perfect-Organism

I'm going to enjoy 3 and 4 back to back when I pick up mine.  And I do mean ENJOY!

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 01, 2016, 07:59:40 PM
Yea you're right on that. I guess it's just the part of me that doesn't like debating or arguing with people over opinions that kind of taints it for me a little bit. I don't like to be confrontational at all and just look for the like minded people to avoid that as much as I can. It's just too bad the opinions are so all over the place for this particular franchise. I don't experience it nearly to this extent on any others.

Hahaaha Xenozipper if you were a superhero they'd call you Mr. Negative or Negatron lol. Joke, don't kill me. /Hides

Honestly I understand you, same here when I see someone saying AVPR was awesome or A3 is better than 1-2 in my head I'm like wtf are you talking about m8, under which rock did they dig you up from LOL...but I've learned to let it go, because I figure some are young fans who might change views, others like action more than horror or vice versa, heck some others like naked green little men, others like anything that has the word Alien printed on it, etc etc etc, really none of my business...It's like you, when you tell me you like go-bots or some sh!t I want to reach through my TV and choke you, but I don't, you know why? because I can't lol.

No seriously though, I've read every Alien comic besides countdown and 2-3 more and Defiance I feel is the one that appeals the most to my taste. I haven't seen any completely dumb sh!t yet, and I do excpect that this series will have it's Alien and Aliens moments even though issues 3-4 didn't it can't always be great. I say give Defiance the benefit of the doubt, I would like to hear your views on Life and Death instead, a Xenozipper major negativity event is badly needed in that thread lol.  ;D

XenoZipper

Would that not make me a super villain then with a name like Negatron? Nah I don't really have any opinions on Life & Death. Read both Pred & Prometheus & honestly, they just went through one eye and out the other. Nothing memorable to me at all to talk about. And yes I realize I sound very negative a lot. Don't have a lot good going on in my life right now to be positive about so maybe that taints my view as I read. Guess I could always go back to the old saying of, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Kurai

Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 01, 2016, 10:18:09 PM
Read both Pred & Prometheus & honestly, they just went through one eye and out the other.

The way Fire and Stone was released was a mess. If you read it as it was "intended" then it's quite a fun romp IMO. Dark Horse just really needs to get a catch all title for the series rather than re-titling every 4 issues, I like it but it can't be that great of a market practice. :P

Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 01, 2016, 10:18:09 PM
And yes I realize I sound very negative a lot. Don't have a lot good going on in my life right now to be positive about so maybe that taints my view as I read. Guess I could always go back to the old saying of, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".

IRL affects our perception on nearly everything, don't worry about feeling negative and saying what you think. I've found that some of the expanded universe stories I used to hate a few years ago I now love.  :)

Like 426Buddy said, each of the movies are just so different and that's probably the reason for the split in the fandom.

I'm interested in what you think could be done better in the comic.  :)

XenoZipper

Yea I read Fire & Stone as intended. That one I waited for all of it to be out & read it as it's meant. Only parts of it were interesting to me. As for what could be done better, I'm honestly not sure. Where everyone is liking the characters & feeling tension, I'm just getting nothing. I have 0 emotion towards any of them human or synth so maybe there's nothing for me personally that could be done better. Maybe it is from being in blah moods lately but I dunno. I read many other kinds of comics and enjoy them immensely, just not these ones for some reason.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Which ones do you enjoy the most?

Also, what would you like to see more of? Which movie is more your style? Alien or Aliens? I prefer Alien more but loved Aliens for the locations, settings and good story. So my taste range might be more flexible. Maybe you only liked one scene? Maybe only the newborn? Please tell me you don't want to see another newborn? Common there must be something that you would want to see more of?

What matters more to you?  Story? Art? Characters? The Alien/s? Terror? Action? Space locations? You must be a huge Alien fan like us if you're here. What would you tell Dark Horse if you could? It better not be the end is nigh! Lol.

Me personally I like to see huge commercial or industrial space ships, space stations or bases on exoplanets with long rusted out or dark corridors, a great story, not too many people, a crew of 7 is enough, and terror. That's what does it for me, that's why Alien is ny favorite movie of all time and Aliens 3rd or 4th. I see a lot of these elements in Defiance, Isolation, AVP1 and especially AVP2 which is my favorite game of all time and I used to be a big game junkie in 2000-2007..

In comics I like Berserkers, Labyrinth, Havoc vol.1, and Fast track to Heaven which is the only comic that had an Alien theme instead of Aliens, for me at least, though the story was way too small.

So yeah, I guess this means I'm a sci-fi space horror/space sci-fi fanatic and love every minute of it.

Your problem might also be Dark Horse, I've noticed the culture there seems to be a bit more mainstream action oriented and less serious that I originally thought. I'm sure there all gung ho types who like boring ass gun fights in Alien movies that's why they've produced or allowed so many sh!t Alien comics to be produced. I haven't seen anything smart besides 2-3 series since the beginning...30 effin years ago. Need some higher iq people to run this series like Brian Wood who's doing a great job so far..

XenoZipper

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 02, 2016, 03:20:24 AM
Which ones do you enjoy the most?

Labyrinth is my top, book 1 & 2, Hive, things like that

Also, what would you like to see more of? Which movie is more your style? Alien or Aliens? I prefer Alien more but loved Aliens for the locations, settings and good story. So my taste range might be more flexible. Maybe you only liked one scene? Maybe only the newborn? Please tell me you don't want to see another newborn? Common there must be something that you would want to see more of?

No I'm not big on Resurrection and do not want to see another newborn. I like Alien & Aliens equally for different reasons. What I'd like to see more of? Learning new aspects of the aliens like they did in Labyrinth with Church's little back story.

What matters more to you?  Story? Art? Characters? The Alien/s? Terror? Action? Space locations? You must be a huge Alien fan like us if you're here. What would you tell Dark Horse if you could? It better not be the end is nigh! Lol.

ALL that stuff is important to me. Probably story the most.

Me personally I like to see huge commercial or industrial space ships, space stations or bases on exoplanets with long rusted out or dark corridors, a great story, not too many people, a crew of 7 is enough, and terror. That's what does it for me, that's why Alien is ny favorite movie of all time and Aliens 3rd or 4th. I see a lot of these elements in Defiance, Isolation, AVP1 and especially AVP2 which is my favorite game of all time and I used to be a big game junkie in 2000-2007..

In comics I like Berserkers, Labyrinth, Havoc vol.1, and Fast track to Heaven which is the only comic that had an Alien theme instead of Aliens, for me at least, though the story was way too small.

So yeah, I guess this means I'm a sci-fi space horror/space sci-fi fanatic and love every minute of it.

Your problem might also be Dark Horse, I've noticed the culture there seems to be a bit more mainstream action oriented and less serious that I originally thought. I'm sure there all gung ho types who like boring ass gun fights in Alien movies that's why they've produced or allowed so many sh!t Alien comics to be produced. I haven't seen anything smart besides 2-3 series since the beginning...30 effin years ago. Need some higher iq people to run this series like Brian Wood who's doing a great job so far..

Kurai

Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 02, 2016, 04:04:57 AM
No I'm not big on Resurrection and do not want to see another newborn. I like Alien & Aliens equally for different reasons. What I'd like to see more of? Learning new aspects of the aliens like they did in Labyrinth with Church's little back story.

Totally agree here. My one complaint with all the fair we've been getting is how the Aliens are constantly portrayed as big bug like zombies. Church's little back story was f-ed up, but fit with the Aliens perfectly. I want the Aliens to be intelligent, I always pictured them as being a somewhat more bestial Coeurl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeurl
While not having Coeurl's total sapience, but... I don't know quite how to explain it...

It's the same feeling I get playing as the Alien in any of the AvP games, the Alien you play as has that vicious nature tempered by human caution.

XenoZipper

Quote from: Kurai on Sep 02, 2016, 04:30:36 AM
Quote from: XenoZipper on Sep 02, 2016, 04:04:57 AM

Totally agree here. My one complaint with all the fair we've been getting is how the Aliens are constantly portrayed as big bug like zombies. Church's little back story was f-ed up, but fit with the Aliens perfectly. I want the Aliens to be intelligent, I always pictured them as being a somewhat more bestial Coeurl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeurl
While not having Coeurl's total sapience, but... I don't know quite how to explain it...

It's the same feeling I get playing as the Alien in any of the AvP games, the Alien you play as has that vicious nature tempered by human caution.

Actually that Coeurl sounds pretty damn neat and I can kinda get what you're meaning about it and I can roll with that for sure. I don't like seeing them portrayed as annoying bugs that are easily killed either. I'm right with you in wanting to see a lot more intelligence. I don't want them to start speaking or anything like that though haha

Corporal Hicks

There's no denying that this fanbase is so ridiculously varied. Each of the films is so completely different and certain people are drawn to certain elements. And that's good! Where's the fun in all being the same? Of course, we all have overlapped opinions and completely differing opinions. I'm loving Defiance but the only Fire and Stone I really enjoyed was Predator, the rest not so much and I'm not massively into Life and Death so far either.

I'm gutted to hear you don't feel you can share your differing opinions. I feel that despite our massively varied community, we can all respectfully disagree. We got rid of all the childish ones years back and we're all adults here that can disagree nicely.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed