Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 83,684 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh god man. AVPr and eating underwear simply do not go together.

Well there is one truth, Aliens is one of the best movies ever made. Period. Thus, since AVPr has aliens in it, if you erase the humans, preds and everything else that sucked. It is top 20 easy.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 11, 2016, 09:10:13 PM
Sure, ALIEN is structurally a standard horror movie, no one is denying that fact. What makes ALIEN so genius is that it feels like it goes beyond that.
What makes Alien genius is they gave the concept credibility. As does Aliens.

QuoteALIEN is not a safe and pleasant movie,
It's as safe and pleasant as Aliens. The evil penis monster is vanquished and the last survivor drifts off to sleep to live happily ever after. Which is exactly how Aliens ends, except with more dead penis monsters and more survivors. In both cases it's the sequel that interrupts the survivor{s}'s otherwise pleasant victory.

QuoteThere is nothing low-end horror movie with A3,
You're delusional.

Killing off [some of] the main characters in the opening scene in inglorious fashion is slasher movie sequel 101, as is populating the movie with faceless, indistinguishable, unknown characters who exist solely to die in increasingly brutal fashion. Friday the 13th Part II et al.

The only thing Alien3 has going for it to push it from "low-end" horror is production value, performances, great direction and Ripley's sacrifice at the end. Everything else, particularly in terms of plot - shock deaths, bland chase sequences, increased gore in favour of genuine suspense or terror - is exactly bottom of the barrel slasher flick fare.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 11, 2016, 10:46:16 PM
Nah, if anything I'm calling on Alien 3 for the cheap way of handling the transition from Aliens to Alien-style storytelling; the plot was fine, but what they did to change the story to it was cheap and ineffective which is more typical of low end horror movies rather than higher end ones.

Clarify for me? - You're basically criticizing the killing of Newt and Hicks (nearly put Newt and Billie there for some reason :laugh:) in the title sequence - fail enough, a bone of contention for many years and will continue to be. And but, in your eyes, how does that equate to a transition to an Alien-style of storytelling?

predxeno

predxeno

It feels like Alien 3 is bending over backwards to compensate for its own storytelling.  Admittedly, the film is at the bottom of my favorite AVP movies list for what it did to the cast of the previous film, if it compensated the lack of those characters without killing them then this film would have gone up several places on my list.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 12, 2016, 08:35:40 AM
It feels like Alien 3 is bending over backwards to compensate for its own storytelling. 

What are you trying to say, predxeno? Be specific please.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 12, 2016, 12:03:12 AMTo this day, there are plenty of fan theories explaining how the Alien egg got on the Sulaco which ultimately got resolved 2 decades later in A:CM Stasis Interrupted where it's revealed that Wey-Yu had a hand in smuggling the creatures onboard.

Anyone who thinks that game is a decent explanation for anything should consider psychiatric treatment.

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 12, 2016, 08:35:40 AMAdmittedly, the film is at the bottom of my favorite AVP movies list for what it did to the cast of the previous film, if it compensated the lack of those characters without killing them then this film would have gone up several places on my list.

Except, as I tried to point out at length before, the loss to Ripley is the key motif of the film. Take that away, you get a different movie.

predxeno

predxeno

Well, as I stated before not only do Hicks and Newt's death feel cheaply handled (offscreen deaths are not the appropriate way to deal with them) but the entire opening to the third film is sloppily laid out.  An alien egg is mysteriously onboard the Sulaco and no acknowledgement, let alone an explanation, is ever provided in-film (regardless of whether A:CM is a good story or not, it at least tried to amend that continuity issue).  Even the Strause Bros. knew they had to provide a specific reason for why Chet could eggbarf albeit a reason that was unpopular among the fandom, but even they understood the principles of cause and effect.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

While I completely agree the magic Egg is a pretty crappy opening (especially as the same end result could've quite easily been reached much more pleasingly), I'd still take that over ACM's hysterically ludicrous storytelling, which is about the worst, most childish, most fan-wanky bit of plotting in the entire franchise, above even the film at the centre of this thread.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Except the Bros had several different reasons for the eggbarfing rubbish and it was only after being complained at by fans online that they gave any reasons. No such reasons made it into the film - it's just as messy as Alien 3's eggs.

That said, I do agree that the magic egg was still messy and ACMs attempt to rectify anything is just as silly. Personally I preferred the lone facehugger coming aboard with the Queen and having a run around during the credits of Aliens.

SiL

SiL

Eggbarfing is a lot messier. The problem with A3 isn't that there is an egg, it's where the thing is. Putting it on the dropshop would've solved literally everything. Barfing comes straight the f**k outta nowhere.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The Alien Anthology tried:

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SiL on Jan 12, 2016, 11:02:40 AM
Eggbarfing is a lot messier. The problem with A3 isn't that there is an egg, it's where the thing is. Putting it on the dropshop would've solved literally everything. Barfing comes straight the f**k outta nowhere.
Shit, new alien, new style of procreation. I don't see the big problem with that one. The runner never had a chance to make eggs, perhaps it may have given birth to live young or laid eggs in the dead host. Just mindless speculation. It's still better than the SUPER facehugger. Hell the magical space egg is better than that too.

SiL

SiL

The problem is it's pants on head retarded. It's a new host, but it's still an Alien. Host doesn't come into it.

And the Runner was going to coccoon people.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 12, 2016, 11:44:57 AM
It's still better than the SUPER facehugger. Hell the magical space egg is better than that too.

I think a royal hugger would have been pretty reasonable.

SiL

SiL

Keeping with the ant/termite analogy Cameron started, the royal facehugger is entirely reasonable. Ant queens are born, not moulted into by drones.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed