Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 84,259 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 21, 2016, 11:41:31 PMOh, color grading. Wait can't they fix that?

Because it would require money and I honestly doubt many people even care.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 23, 2012, 07:33:49 AM
I spoke to Colin Strause about this last year and he claims Fox refused to let them touch the DVD/Blu-Ray at all. They said the west coast prints were fine but the east coast prints were dark. So they wanted to make the movie brighter but found out after they got the Blu-Ray from Fox, that the studio had made the movie a lot darker. They never had any say about it.

Bit of a surprise cos I always thought the darkness was their choice. It's easy to blame the Strauses but they just never stood a chance with this movie.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Well when I watched it in theaters it was still too dark to see anything, so the problem existed before the dvd/bluray release. Still blame falls to them unless the Strause bros were not involved with lighting during production and post production.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Where are you based 420? East or west coast of the States?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I'm in Michigan, east I guess. 

I must have read the quote wrong, I thought they were saying the problem was with the bluray/dvd version and not the the theatrical release.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Yea I was under the presumption that it was done at the camera level at that they couldn't fix it. It was dark as shit in the theater as well.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 22, 2016, 08:55:19 PM
Yea I was under the presumption that it was done at the camera level at that they couldn't fix it. It was dark as shit in the theater as well.

Are you also eastern?

From what I remember the Bro's saying the badly coloured/graded print was the one that got sent to DVD.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Rabbit would be far west. Unless he's so far west that he's actually east.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 22, 2016, 08:51:50 AM
It's not even color grading, it's post production contrast/brightness f**kery.
That's, uh, part of colour grading.

The first trailers were fine, but then they fired and replaced their colourist.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

No, I'm as far west as one can get from the rest of the world. :)

But yea... actually went on Christmas day to watch it and it was dark but I don't remember it being as bad as the dvd. However it is was no where as good as the trailers were. I chalked it up the theater just being old.

However I do remember deciding to put it on when some annoying family members came by. My mother asked why I picked it because you couldn't see anything and I said that was the idea. So in at least one way AVPr has served me well.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2016, 11:32:50 PM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 22, 2016, 08:51:50 AM
It's not even color grading, it's post production contrast/brightness f**kery.

The first trailers were fine, but then they fired and replaced their colourist.
Stupid question time. Why did they do that? Next immoral question. So does this mean that the movie could be fixed for a bluray edition?

SiL

SiL

Films are often re-graded for home release (or at least tweaked) as there are different considerations for making the film look right in cinema to at home, but it looks like it wasn't the case here.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2016, 11:32:50 PM

Really, because I've never f*cked my own work that hardcore in the color grading process.

SiL

SiL

Cool. You still adjust those things in your colour correction/grading step, though, so even if it was "f**kery", that's where it happened.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Yes, it actually has gotten better with age.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Care to elaborate?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed