Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 306,396 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 07, 2017, 06:20:15 PM
Resurrection wasn't bad because of Ripley.

Ripley was a part of the problem yes, her cloning and super powers completely toppled the serious tone of the previous films.

BishopShouldGo

Nahh. Still want the retcon tho.

The Cruentus

Not opposing your desire.
I, myself half want a retcon just to get rid of Resurrection and restore the serious tone of the franchise, but I liked alien 3 and have no issue with Ripley's death, or Hicks and Newt's, though the manner of it something I disagree with.

Alien 3 just came at the wrong time...after Aliens, which set the bar too high and was too much of an upbeat film that such a dark film like Alien 3 came as a hell of a drop.

SM

Also cheaply killing off survivors of previous film in opening titles and replacing them with faceless rapists and murderers who exist solely to run down dark corridors shouting "f**k" and being chased by a dodgy special effect.

And having the audience ahead of Ripley for half the film.

Valaquen

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 07, 2017, 07:11:32 PM
Not opposing your desire.
I, myself half want a retcon just to get rid of Resurrection and restore the serious tone of the franchise, but I liked alien 3 and have no issue with Ripley's death, or Hicks and Newt's, though the manner of it something I disagree with.

Alien 3 just came at the wrong time...after Aliens, which set the bar too high and was too much of an upbeat film that such a dark film like Alien 3 came as a hell of a drop.

Like SM said, I don't think it was really the tone that tanked it, but a lot of problems with the script that pissed folk off.

The Cruentus

No, the tone by itself wasn't an issue but Alien 3 was quite dark when the last film was optimistic and ended on a "happy" note whereas the first Alien film had an uncertain ending.
The dark tone is not bad or a problem by itself because it sells the movie, its just after what it came after....hell of a mood swing for us.
Alien 3 is a film that would have worked if it was the 4th Alien film,that way the intermediate film could balance the different tones and Hicks and Newt's deaths could have been done differently or not at all, as Ripley's death could have been a passing of the torch so to speak.

SM

The big mood swing from Alien to Aliens didn't do any harm.

windebieste

Neither of which warrant the movie being retconned.  For all of its problems, it's still a decent movie and a damned fine 'ALIEN' piece. 

While I agree with much of the points above, we need movies that step outside of our comfort zones and that's what this series is all about.  Too many times big studios make safe decisions and the result is much like so much homogenised content already on the market.   

I don't see trading in a bold movie like this for what amounts to Round 2 of 'bullet proof' characters that aren't allowed to die running around doing the same things they did previously.  Leave that to Disney.  I need my entertainment to be be challenging as much as it is light and easy to digest.  As it is, however, with Disney dominating the big fluffy comic book action scene with 'Marvel' and 'Star Wars' we need meatier, grounded and challenging scenarios as well.  Anything 'ALIEN' needs that harsh edge - and 'ALIEN 3' delivers it in spades. 

Blomkamp's current proposal is so much of a pipe dream.  How much more appropriate would it have been if he was around in 1988 to present this to Fox?  Then it would have made sense.  As it is now, being Ripley's 2nd 'Resurrection', all the sense of vulnerability and apprehension that is at the core of these movies evaporates. 

Ripley already has super powers (corrosive blood, super senses, ridiculous strength) by the time of the 4th movie.  What exactly is there to give her now?

A cape?  lol.

-Windebieste.

The Cruentus

There wasn't much of a mood swing there since Alien did not have the nihilistic despairing tone of Alien 3

SM

Nor did it have lots of noisy guns and explosions and combat and an Alien horde.

SiL

Or Bill Paxton.

SM

Yeah, or noisy Bill Paxton.

The Cruentus

Aliens had a lot of tense and quiet moments too, so its differences were minor in tone compared to Alien 3.

SiL

They weren't minor. Alien was a brooding horror film; Aliens was an action-horror movie complete with one-liners, 80s machismo, and a super cool robot fight at the end.

The Cruentus

Aliens was more about terror than horror actually and a lot of tense moments, which it shared with Alien. Alien 3 was much more depressing and despair ridden with virtual certainty of death for Ripley.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed