Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 305,110 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 01, 2015, 02:09:26 AM
Because it frustrates me that someone could consider all the films canon and media (Where in my perspective) the two AVP films, ACM and several ridiculous comic storylines are nothing but stains on the franchise.

The good stuff (Alien3) will survive because it is loved in certain circles and by the fandom at large whilst the unworthy crap will be thrown out the window by the fandom at large the second it's decanonized.

Wait what? Why do you care what other people consider to be canon? Like seriously? Does it affect you personally?

How, exactly, would Alien3 "survive" if it's rendered non-canon? By your logic it would be thrown out the window with everything else that's "non canon".
Or, alternately, fans would do what they've done unwaveringly for the last 35 years and believe whatever they want to believe.

Absolute worst case scenario, even if things got split into "multiple timelines", everything is still canon, but in its own timelines or whatever (and those timelines would be fan dictated, just like they've always been - we've had a thread about it for 6 months now).
It's like you're personally offended by certain fans' preferences for the franchise, preferences you can't change no matter what happens. Why is that, exactly?

Son Of Kane

Because like I said, people (Large amounts) love Alien3, so it will continue to be recopyed and rebought and acknowledged.

You think the same will be true for the likes of ACM and some bad comics? No.
The only reason people tolerate it in any manner (Because most otherwise fervently hate it) is because it has an entry on the Alien wiki that says it's canon.
As soon as it isn't people will ultimately dispose of it.

Like with Star Wars right now, loved things continue to be discussed (KOTOR) whilst other crap is thrown out the window completely.

Xenomrph

Sure, and none of that has anything to do with what's "canon", since people decide for themselves what's canon. Blomkamp's movie could end up sucking and we'd be right back where we started. If some people choose to take "everything" as canon, that doesn't change anything and it shouldn't affect you at all, and if it somehow does then that's something you have to come to grips with on your own I guess. Saying, "Oh boy I hope those people who take everything as canon are presented with a scenario where they HAVE TO CHOOSE!" just makes you seem petty and juvenile.

Countless people disregard stuff even if it's on some fan-run wiki because they choose to. Colonial Marines may be "officially" canon, but I'm very sure the number of people who actually accept it as such is very, very low. Even if Blomkamp's movie undoes Alien3, Colonial Marines will still remain on the Alien wiki, and it'll still be "canon", it'll just get a footnote that it's part of some "other timeline" along with Alien3.

Son Of Kane

I didn't ask for it not to exist, I was just making the point that people won't recognise it if they're given the choice.
The Neill Blompkamp film will cement that there is a choice by establishing alternate timelines.

That's all.

Xenomrph

But there's always been the choice.

I don't think we need Blomkamp's movie to force the issue, especially for people who don't want there to be that choice.

Son Of Kane

Well, if Neill Blompkamp's film is a retcon, they'll have to face that choice- whether they like it or not.

Xenomrph

And now we're back to the original question of why you think that's a good thing, or why you care at all.

Son Of Kane

Because I'm a terrible person.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Doktor Wunderbar on Mar 01, 2015, 02:11:15 AM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 01, 2015, 01:27:26 AM
I can't wait for every pretentious artsy 14 year old to come out of the wood works crying how cinema is dead. I love reading the youtube comments section.
Who needs to wait?  We're getting a ton of "how dare they" right now.  I just wish I had popcorn.

It's always been everywhere in every internet forum ever, I'm just waiting until people start signing in en masse to let the world know their totally unique and unshared ideas about how Alien is Dead Forever.

OpenMaw

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 01, 2015, 03:10:02 AM
It's always been everywhere in every internet forum ever, I'm just waiting until people start signing in en masse to let the world know their totally unique and unshared ideas about how Alien is Dead Forever.

It happens every time.  :D

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 01, 2015, 02:18:31 AM
Because like I said, people (Large amounts) love Alien3, so it will continue to be recopyed and rebought and acknowledged.

You think the same will be true for the likes of ACM and some bad comics? No.
The only reason people tolerate it in any manner (Because most otherwise fervently hate it) is because it has an entry on the Alien wiki that says it's canon.
As soon as it isn't people will ultimately dispose of it.

Like with Star Wars right now, loved things continue to be discussed (KOTOR) whilst other crap is thrown out the window completely.
From what I've seen, "large amounts" wouldn't be the word to describe them. There really isn't that many people who love it. A good amount who like it but even those numbers don't compare to the fans who love the first two movies.

Federick Gonsa

Federick Gonsa

I knew this guy was destined to do something like this lol I just hope He gets to do District 10 as soon as he finishes Alien V I bet on Sharlto Copley playing an android!

RakaiThwei

Yahoo did a news article which covers some details which we already know, even mentions that Alien 3 and Resurrection won't be undone but the author of the article believes that this could take place between ALIEN and ALIENS. If that is the case, and assuming it is.. which is unlikely considering the concept art and the likely ideas.. It sounds like Out of the Shadows.. at least what this author is assuming anyway. I hope he is wrong, and very likely.. this guy is wrong:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/alien-won-t-undo-alien-3-resurrection-director-184258582.html

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 01, 2015, 08:35:06 AM
Yahoo did a news article which covers some details which we already know, even mentions that Alien 3 and Resurrection won't be undone but the author of the article believes that this could take place between ALIEN and ALIENS. If that is the case, and assuming it is.. which is unlikely considering the concept art and the likely ideas.. It sounds like Out of the Shadows.. at least what this author is assuming anyway. I hope he is wrong, and very likely.. this guy is wrong:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/alien-won-t-undo-alien-3-resurrection-director-184258582.html
I seem to recall reading rumors that "Alien 5" would be a prequel bridging Prometheus 2 and Alien. I'd be totally okay with that.

Granted that kinda precludes having Ripley and Hicks in the movie, but I'd be totally okay with them not being in the story at all.

Son Of Kane

Rumours say it will be connected to Prom 2 and 1 retroactively, which would mean this:

Alien, Aliens, Alien3, A:R.

&

Prometheus, Prometheus sequel, Alien, Aliens, Neill Blompkamp's Alien.

Sounds good to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed