Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 305,032 times)

SM

Where is the harm in a new film?

The Cruentus

None whatsoever SM, that is not what is being disputed here.

I look forward to the new film retcon or not but....

A retcon just for three dead characters is just not really a good enough reason methinks, I am half on board for the retcon just to undo resurrections parody-like tone, but I still think bringing back characters just because we all didn't like it is bit silly, by that logic, every film where a favorite character died should now be retconned.... :P

SM

So there's no harm - then you go on to detail why it's a bad idea.

From a fan response point of view and therefore a commercial point of view - if they have a good idea for the film, they'd be silly not to make it.

However it turns out is ultimately irrelevant.  Those that want it, have it.  Those that don't, don't have to bother.

The Cruentus

A bad idea about films is hardly harmful. I don't oppose the new film nor the idea of a retcon, but the reasons seems shallow to me.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 08, 2017, 03:05:59 AM
What Greater Good?  Is there any guarantees that it will be any good at all?  Isn't the sacrifice a little too great to trade in half the series for an absolute unknown?  Where's the proof?  Blomkamp said so..?  wtf?

I'd love a Blomkamp 'ALIEN 5' but is a retcon even needed?  No. It is not.  Is Ripley even needed.  Nope.  Not at all.  Could Blomkamp make an 'ALIEN 5' that adds to the series as a whole without carving it up?  Sure, he could!  The recent 'Rogue One' movie showed us how to insert relevant content into a series could be done without tearing the series apart.  Notably, that movie is a vast improvement over the other new 'Star Wars' movie we saw released a year ago - which was basically shit. 

But no...  Ripley must come back.  At all costs.  Whether she's needed or not.  'She Who Cannot Die' MUST return. 

No wonder people have called Blomkamp's proposal out as being driven by juvenile wishful fan fiction. 

That's exactly what it is. 

-Windebieste.

But don't you see that A:R did exactly the thing that you're railing against.  They already brought Ripley back at all costs.  That was already juvenile.  It was already a retcon basically in a way because it brought back a core character that was already dead.  It is this silly A:R film which resulted from Alien 3 that has led us on a continuity path which brings ideas of resurrection and total recall into a series which up until that point was noted for its efforts in being grounded in realism.

I can't imagine that Blomkamp's retcon wouldn't be based around the idea of passing the baton somehow, perhaps to Rebecca Jorden, or some other character, but without a retcon the Alien series has landed in a world of silly that is unfitting for such quality sci-fi.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 03:13:28 AM
::) That is your opinion, not a fact. Alien 3 is inferior but that is no reason to retcon it. Alien is arguably inferior to Aliens, should Alien be retconned?

Not all sequels are going to be good.

Like I said, if you want a rehash, either rewatch the movies or play the games, you will get the same experience more or less from a new movie based on Aliens.  :P

Alien is hardly inferior to Aliens by most accounts, but even if it was, it is the founding element which sets the story arc in motion.  It doesn't derail anything, whereas Alien 3, despite being a good film, does.

I hope with the passing of Carrie Fisher, Fox realizes what a precious asset they have in Sigourney Weaver, and green-light her film ASAP.  I wish her many years of healthy life, but she is getting on in years.  One or two more films with Ripley would be amazing.  In fact Blomkamp should make a trilogy as per the current trend.  Each film could be a cliff-hanger for the next...

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 03:13:28 AM
::) That is your opinion, not a fact. Alien 3 is inferior but that is no reason to retcon it. Alien is arguably inferior to Aliens, should Alien be retconned?

Not all sequels are going to be good.

Like I said, if you want a rehash, either rewatch the movies or play the games, you will get the same experience more or less from a new movie based on Aliens.  :P

nah, i want a new film. i like alien and aliens equally. theyre good films. unlike a3.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 03:26:32 AM
None whatsoever SM, that is not what is being disputed here.

I look forward to the new film retcon or not but....

A retcon just for three dead characters is just not really a good enough reason methinks, I am half on board for the retcon just to undo resurrections parody-like tone, but I still think bringing back characters just because we all didn't like it is bit silly, by that logic, every film where a favorite character died should now be retconned.... :P

its not about unkilling those three characters. it's about restarting at the point where the franchise was at its apex, and the possibilities were endless. hell, jon spaihts admitted it was impossible to write a story post-resurrection. the dude had to go back in time. :D

gosh, all you have to do is make one more film with ripley, and she can then pass the baton to A-list Actress Newt. bam. so simple. makes almost too much sense.

PsyKore

This actress playing Newt would have to be something incredible.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 08, 2017, 07:59:44 AM
This actress playing Newt would have to be something incredible.

Jennifer Lawrence.  Bam!

Ingwar

Why do you compare movies to each other? It doesn't make any sense.

Hicks, Newt and ... Jonesy are dead ;). Ripley is dead. Deal with it. It's just a movie.

The Cruentus

Alien is hardly inferior to Aliens by most accounts, but even if it was, it is the founding element which sets the story arc in motion.  It doesn't derail anything, whereas Alien 3, despite being a good film, does.

Hence why I said arguably Alien is a brilliant classic but Aliens is keyword arguably superior hence first film = inferior, ::) and Aliens could be watched as a stand alone film thanks to Ripley's exposition to the company and marines so its not really necessary to the second film where as the third film requires knowing the lore which you can get from the second movie.

nah, i want a new film. i like alien and aliens equally. theyre good films. unlike a3.

Nah you want a rehash, an Aliens with marines... :P 
Lets retcon matrix then shall we or terminator for their disappointing sequels... I swear not to insult anyone here, but the fandoms can be such crybabies. If you want something retconned then fine, I'm half and half on it...but have a better excuse than "its a bad movie"  There is a lot of bad movie out there, it happens and there is no guarantee than Niels film will be good, it may even be worse. Think - hoping that the sequel
to AVP 2004 is going to be better.....and then you got Requiem, Neil's film could be another Requiem. Reboots to broken franchises are proof that trying to fix something by making as if its never happened doesn't always work.

Also Alien 3 got mixed reviews really, its hardly the worst film in the franchise, that dishonor goes to Requiem.

Alien 3 is not a bad film but most folks just want Hix'n'Noot as someone on here put it  :laugh:

Hicks and Newt don't need to be alive for Ripley to pass the baton nor does she in fact,  and a new film doesn't have to be post resurrection, that film is over 200 years into the future and can be utterly ignored.

A new film can just have new characters.

Hicks, Newt and Ripley are good characters but the more they whined about coming back, the more they getting turned into plot-armored fandom pet special snowflakes...and no one likes a special snowflake.

@ingwar
Yes, they are dead. people should move on, its like they can't imagine an Alien film without Ripley or H and N.yet the resurrection shows what happens when you bring Ripley back. The movie was never about Ripley really, Aliens are the titular character, they are the core of the story and other characters are just the counter to it.

SM

QuoteWhy do you compare movies to each other? It doesn't make any sense.

Because some are popular and some aren't.  Hence the current situation.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2017, 08:19:24 PM

Why have an internet forum where people can discuss and compare movies?  It's just not fair!

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 02:09:29 PM

Hence why I said arguably Alien is a brilliant classic but Aliens is keyword arguably superior hence first film = inferior, ::) and Aliens could be watched as a stand alone film thanks to Ripley's exposition to the company and marines so its not really necessary to the second film where as the third film requires knowing the lore which you can get from the second movie.

Nah you want a rehash, an Aliens with marines... :P 
Lets retcon matrix then shall we or terminator for their disappointing sequels... I swear not to insult anyone here, but the fandoms can be such crybabies. If you want something retconned then fine, I'm half and half on it...but have a better excuse than "its a bad movie"  There is a lot of bad movie out there, it happens and there is no guarantee than Niels film will be good, it may even be worse. Think - hoping that the sequel
to AVP 2004 is going to be better.....and then you got Requiem, Neil's film could be another Requiem. Reboots to broken franchises are proof that trying to fix something by making as if its never happened doesn't always work.

Also Alien 3 got mixed reviews really, its hardly the worst film in the franchise, that dishonor goes to Requiem.

Alien 3 is not a bad film but most folks just want Hix'n'Noot as someone on here put it  :laugh:

Hicks and Newt don't need to be alive for Ripley to pass the baton nor does she in fact,  and a new film doesn't have to be post resurrection, that film is over 200 years into the future and can be utterly ignored.

A new film can just have new characters.

Hicks, Newt and Ripley are good characters but the more they whined about coming back, the more they getting turned into plot-armored fandom pet special snowflakes...and no one likes a special snowflake.

@ingwar
Yes, they are dead. people should move on, its like they can't imagine an Alien film without Ripley or H and N.yet the resurrection shows what happens when you bring Ripley back. The movie was never about Ripley really, Aliens are the titular character, they are the core of the story and other characters are just the counter to it.

Nah. I know what I want. Buh bye a3 and a4. High five neill.

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2017, 08:19:24 PM

Some people's realities really are are dramatically compromised. Alien and aliens are the best and are the classics, deal with it. I say this as a person who enjoys a3 and a4. 8)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 07, 2017, 09:08:29 AMRetcon not only good but necessary.

It's just not though. Covenant is proving that right now.

You're confusing what you want with what must be done, again. The films don't need to be retconned in any way, shape or form.

windebieste

God damned Boo-hoo Brigade.   lol.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed