Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 304,855 times)

Close Encounters

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 08:59:54 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Mar 06, 2015, 08:53:43 PM
I have my cynical concerns but at the same time it's not in any way being lazy, if anything it creates more opportunity and flexibility.

By being lazy and fanboyish.

There are so many options here if you step outside the boundaries of ALIENS. Bringing back Hicks is not necessary to make a sequel, neither is Ripley. It's like ALIENS is the Ten Commandments, Cameron is God, and Ripley & Hicks are Jesus & Holy Ghost...

I think it might be better to call Alien the Old Testament. An inhuman Enemy(Ash) trying to fool a flawed humanity into toying with something they shouldn't, leading to Death(the Xeno) coming into the world which leads to lots of dead people.

Aliens is the New Testament. A dualistic savior(Ripley/Newt), coming to save the stubborn sinners who won't listen(Marines), who then follow said savior as they flee the Death(Xenos again) that permeates their world. The betrayal of one follower(Burke) leads to the worldly death of the savior(Newt's abduction), but after tearing the ever loving sh*t out of Sin with light armor piercing rounds and a grenade launcher, the savior returns from the jaws of Sin(the Queen) and brings those who follow to a higher place(Sulaco), a place where Sin cannot survive and is ejected out the airlock.

I mean, if you're going to use a religious theme.

Frankly I find it funny that you constantly use the term Aliens fanboy as if that's a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned, clear love of a film in this series is a good thing, regardless of what you think of any other film in the series.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Deciding not to even care to follow up on the task at hand just because it doesn't feel right is the very definition of lazy.

Let me put it this way: Are there other options to tell another Alien story without bringing Hicks (and/or Ellen Ripley) back, which indirectly equals a retcon of two entire movies? If the answer is NO, then I'll stand corrected. If the answer is YES, then this whole retcon idea is indeed and without discussion a lazy cop-out and fan fiction okayed by almighty FOX.

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 06, 2015, 11:13:36 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 08:59:54 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Mar 06, 2015, 08:53:43 PM
I have my cynical concerns but at the same time it's not in any way being lazy, if anything it creates more opportunity and flexibility.

By being lazy and fanboyish.

There are so many options here if you step outside the boundaries of ALIENS. Bringing back Hicks is not necessary to make a sequel, neither is Ripley. It's like ALIENS is the Ten Commandments, Cameron is God, and Ripley & Hicks are Jesus & Holy Ghost...

I think it might be better to call Alien the Old Testament. An inhuman Enemy(Ash) trying to fool a flawed humanity into toying with something they shouldn't, leading to Death(the Xeno) coming into the world which leads to lots of dead people.

Aliens is the New Testament. A dualistic savior(Ripley/Newt), coming to save the stubborn sinners who won't listen(Marines), who then follow said savior as they flee the Death(Xenos again) that permeates their world. The betrayal of one follower(Burke) leads to the worldly death of the savior(Newt's abduction), but after tearing the ever loving sh*t out of Sin with light armor piercing rounds and a grenade launcher, the savior returns from the jaws of Sin(the Queen) and brings those who follow to a higher place(Sulaco), a place where Sin cannot survive and is ejected out the airlock.

I mean, if you're going to use a religious theme.

Frankly I find it funny that you constantly use the term Aliens fanboy as if that's a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned, clear love of a film in this series is a good thing, regardless of what you think of any other film in the series.

Fanboys direct the worst movies, that's why.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 06, 2015, 11:43:47 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 11:39:46 PM
Quote from: GQSioux on Mar 06, 2015, 11:29:56 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/how-neill-blomkamps-aliens-sequel-can-work/
Good article. Thumbs up
So you're on board now?

No. I like it that they discuss the whole thing from all angles and views. One of the guys defend A3 (& A:R), and most if them agree that retconning A3 & A:R is a lazy cop-out. If course I don't agree on most of what they're talking about.

Jarac

Jarac

To all of the people saying it's lazy and throwing the word "fanboy" around (as if they aren't being childishly fanboyish of A3 & A:R themselves):

Resurrection was the laziest shit I've ever seen. Going to such lengths to bring back Ripley it was essentially a comedy. And Weyland-Yutani  being bought out by Wal-Mart? They really didn't give a damn when they were writing that script. A retcon/alternate continuity opens the door to leave that bullshit behind, and most fans  (and yes, I say MOST), are happy to take that road than suffer Resurrection  (which was, again, a lazy film that brought back a character that should have stayed dead in a lazy, contrived manner). And even Alien  3 was lazy as they STILL haven't explained how that damn egg got where it was (even the piss-poor A:CM DLC danced around the issue).

An alternate continuity is a brave thing to do. It's a high risk - high reward scenario. It's what many fans have been wanting for years. If it flops, it'll be miserable, and Blomkamp will be hated by much of the Alien fandom (if not all of it) forever. If he succeeds, this franchise is back on-track as being strong, rather than being on life support.

There's a lot riding on this movie. It ain't lazy. He's got a LOT to live up to. I don't envy his position.

Close Encounters

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 11:26:46 PM
Fanboys direct the worst movies, that's why.

Got a citation for that? I'm talking an actual Hollywood-produced movie, made by a bona-fide fanboy that is a 'worst movie'.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 09:33:12 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 06, 2015, 09:22:43 PM
Ridley Scott retconned AVP, if AVP fans can get over that then I'm sure you guys can more or less do the same.

No he didn't.

You see, there are four franchises going on here: Alien, Prometheus, Predator and AVP. Although related by proxy (and Easter eggs), these franchises are at best crossovers. AVP movies don't dictate Alien movies and Alien movies don't dictate AVP movies. Same goes with Predator and Prometheus. The latter however is in a grey zone area that I personally don't know how to relate too. If it wasn't for Scott being the director I would consider PROM it's own thing or maybe a spin-off.

Ah, I see what you are talking about now so yeah, I guess I can see why it's upsetting for you that an Alien film is ignoring an Alien film.  It all just boils down to how you define your canons here; personally, I just view the whole idea of separating things into different universes and canons as over-convoluted ridiculousness cause there's always going to be other people who don't interpret things your way or a director who doesn't share the audience's point of view, and when this happens then the whole universe/canon thing is once again thrown out of whack.  I just follow the concept of Occam's Razor, that the simplest solution is the correct solution, and the simplest solution here is that all these titles are part of the same universe as the directors intended; it may be messy continuity-wise but what franchise doesn't have those issues?

Son Of Kane

How in bloody hell are you going to reconcile two versions of events after Aliens then?

predxeno

Alternate universes/timelines.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2015, 12:59:04 AM
Alternate universes/timelines.

That makes sense but why bother hamfisting the other franchises together then?

predxeno

It's all about determining where they fit in which timeline/universe; for example, the AVP films probably fit in the Alien 3 universe while Prometheus will fit in the Alien 5 universe.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2015, 01:05:32 AM
It's all about determining where they fit in which timeline/universe; for example, the AVP films probably fit in the Alien 3 universe while Prometheus will fit in the Alien 5 universe.

What about the two human Bishops then?

predxeno

One is descended from the other.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed