The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 243,161 times)

SM

Sorry I can't see where you've mentioned how it's "definite".  Could you please repeat it?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 19, 2015, 08:47:40 PM
However, it can definitely be said that if the first AVP movie didn't include the concept of blooding at all then Fire and Stone wouldn't have featured it in its storyline either.  As Rakai-Thwei confirmed for us, the writers wanted Fire and Stone to be a reboot of sorts and that's why none of the previous comics were even referenced.  The AVP movies served as a bridge that connected the earlier comics to Fire and Stone, that's why it is an integral part of Fire and Stone's development.

Fire and Stone was a reboot, that's why none of the original plot lines from the previous comic EU were featured or even referenced, the blooding from AVP is the sole exception.  If the AVP movies never existed then the blooding never would have been featured in Fire and Stone; the idea may have originated in the comics but it was the movies that publicized it and that's what made it possible for the concept to exist in Fire and Stone.

SM

I still don't see how that's a "definite" nod to the films.  As Hicks mentioned I think, if anything, it's a nod to the earlier comics that invented the concept and has since become part of the lore.

Ultramorph

I agree, it read as a reference to the old comics that movie-lovers would also get. Best of both worlds.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 11:55:53 PM
I still don't see how that's a "definite" nod to the films.  As Hicks mentioned I think, if anything, it's a nod to the earlier comics that invented the concept and has since become part of the lore.

One could say that this very forum owes its existence to the Dark Horse comics as the very idea of AVP originated with Dark Horse.  At least that's how I remember it.

predxeno

Well as I said, if it wasn't for the movies then the blooding plot device wouldn't even have been introduced in Fire and Stone, that's pretty significant.

SM

I'm still not sure what you're basing that on?

If there had been no AvP film, or ritual scarring hadn't been in the film - it still could've been used in a comic because it came from a comic in the first place.

predxeno

predxeno

As I said before, the entire idea of Fire and Stone is that it's a reboot of the franchise therefore none of the previous EU would belong in the story.  Can you name another aspect of the previous EU in either the Aliens or Predator franchise that somehow made it into Fire and Stone?

I just re-discovered an interview with Editor-In-Chief Scott Allie who oversaw ALL 4 story arcs in Fire and Stone, and this is what he said on the matter:

QuoteDo you plan on revisiting any classic Alien or Predator comic storylines, like Marvel does with its Ultimate comics?

Scott Allie: Nope, that's definitely not the focus here. We're more careful to not repeat things we've done before, although with so many comics in the past, there's a chance there'll be some similarities. But that's not a goal.

Which of the movies are you not treating as canon?

Scott Allie: I think we're treating them all as canon, but it's a big universe, and the human race has been around a long time. Some films are closer to our timeline than others, and we're guided more by the earlier films, and by Prometheus.

http://io9.com/see-dark-horses-first-alien-predator-avp-and-prometh-1500505424?dfp_pp_ab=on&dfp_desktop_three=off&utm_expid=66866090-43.E9Bjfd6NTuSlXJewu2e_Ig.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Ultimately, I think it's clear from these words that the writers took ALL the movies to be canon and took NONE of the previous comics as relevant.

SM

Just because they're not beholden to old storylines doesn't obligate them to ignore the old lore regarding the creatures, should they so choose.

Didn't they also say they ignored the AvP movies?

predxeno

The writer of the AVP comics did claim that he wanted to ignore the AVP films but as you can clearly see, the person who was pulling the strings between all 4 arcs decided differently.  Regardless of what you're trying to say, the blooding is obviously included because of the films; you made some good points but ultimately you have still failed to come up with another aspect exclusive to the former comics EU that also made it into Fire and Stone.

SM

That's not really relevant to the discussion though.  You're claiming that DH "definitely" got blooding from the film, but I can't see anything that backs that up.

It could've come from the comics - where it originated - or the film.

predxeno

Yeah, except Scott Allie, the person who was controlling the entire story, has explicitly stated that the previous comics had no relevance to F&S while the films did.  I know you don't like to listen to the words of directors, writers, etc., but it's pretty clear that the AVP films did play a part in the development in Fire and Stone, if not your personal canon.

Ultramorph

An element from the old comics that made it into Fire and Stone? White hybrid mutants.  ;D

SM

Oh, no you di'n't!

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 20, 2015, 01:07:14 AM
Yeah, except Scott Allie, the person who was controlling the entire story, has explicitly stated that the previous comics had no relevance to F&S while the films did.  I know you don't like to listen to the words of directors, writers, etc., but it's pretty clear that the AVP films did play a part in the development in Fire and Stone, if not your personal canon.

My opinion isn't relevant either.

They said they ignored the old comics and the AvP films.  Ergo the blooding could've come from either source; not solely the film as you're claiming.

predxeno

*Sigh*, you're once again twisting the facts to fit the argument you're making; the truth is a writer of 1/4 of the story said that he didn't want to include the films, but the person in control of 4/4 of the story and more said that they were included.  I know you don't like losing, but please don't exaggerate the details to the point of inaccuracy just to win an argument.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed