Just got my 2nd shot. Waiting to leave.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Cool Alien day contest. "Win a mildly racist mug, but only if you're American"

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 26, 2021, 05:56:07 PM

If you don't mind me asking what are the prerequisites for you to get a shot where you're from?

Here in Ontario, Canada I haven't even been able to get a first shot because I'm not old or important enough.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 26, 2021, 06:10:38 PMCool Alien day contest. "Win a mildly racist mug, but only if you're American"

Only Americans can win them or only Americans consider them racist?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

"Continental USA only". Although it's mostly Hawaiians and Maori who take umbrage with "tiki culture" and Hawaiians are Americans so you're like, half right there. 

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 26, 2021, 06:21:52 PM

If you don't mind me asking what are the prerequisites for you to get a shot where you're from?

Here in Ontario, Canada I haven't even been able to get a first shot because I'm not old or important enough.

The only requirements are that you're alive and you want one. When I received my first shot a month ago, the only requirement was that you were at least 16 years old.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 26, 2021, 06:29:15 PM
"Continental USA only". Although it's mostly Hawaiians and Maori who take umbrage with "tiki culture" and Hawaiians are Americans so you're like, half right there.

That's American exceptionalism right there.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 26, 2021, 06:34:45 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 26, 2021, 06:21:52 PM

The only requirements are that you're alive and you want one. When I received my first shot a month ago, the only requirement was that you were at least 16 years old.

Well I'm envious.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Just catch the virus and get the antibodies like me.

No shots needed. 

Huggs

Huggs

Already did last year.

But there are still certain members of my family who are hesitant about the vaccine, so I'm trying to set an example.

SM

SM

It's only racist when the people who would find them racist are eligible to win.

'murica

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2021, 06:20:48 AM

It's only racist when the people who would find them racist are eligible to win.

'murica

This is quite a good piece on the subject:

https://www.longdistanceradio.com/6-filipino-tiki-bar

SM

SM

Haven't had a listen yet, but I'm guessing it's along the same lines as using Buddhas as art pieces?  There's huge billboards on the main drag from Bangkok to the airport telling people not to do it.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It touches on a few different things including the basic history of the practice and the large Filipino workforce in LA who have been entwined with it, but yes a good chunk is along the lines of "maybe don't take vague elements of other peoples cultures and turn them into kitsch commodities", through the specific lens of tiki bars and Polynesian culture.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 27, 2021, 02:55:36 AM
Just catch the virus and get the antibodies like me.

No shots needed.

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2021, 03:25:02 AM
Already did last year.

But there are still certain members of my family who are hesitant about the vaccine, so I'm trying to set an example.

My parents both have their first shots now since they're old enough to be eligible and I'm glad too because I'm most worried about spreading it to them, though it took a little convincing from me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed