Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 622,302 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Wouldn't now be a good time for Portal 3 to get released?

Kradan

Kradan

If I can get my hands on it, why not ?

But don't mention your Gearbox heresy.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

After a couple of days of dicking about, my lady's work has decided she's having 3 weeks off on 80% pay. Kinda bummed out she just couldn't work from home - which she could do - and missing out on the full pay, but kinda glad she's going to be at home now too.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2020, 09:22:41 AM
After a couple of days of dicking about, my lady's work has decided she's having 3 weeks off on 80% pay. Kinda bummed out she just couldn't work from home - which she could do - and missing out on the full pay, but kinda glad she's going to be at home now too.

That's good news Generalissimo.  It's a bit naff about the pay, and the fact that she could work from home, but at least you'll get some time together. 

My work have closed and have guaranteed everyone's pay until the 12th of April, then they'll review the situation.  The business is shifting to primarily online, so some of us are going back in to handle orders. 

SiL

SiL

I'm deeply envious of the UK's 80% option. I know it wouldn't be nice to live in, but in Aus we just gutted most of our service industry and sent tens of thousands to welfare literally overnight :-\

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Mar 25, 2020, 09:32:10 AM
I'm deeply envious of the UK's 80% option. I know it wouldn't be nice to live in, but in Aus we just gutted most of our service industry and sent tens of thousands to welfare literally overnight :-\

That sucks man. I'm thankful it's there, for sure, don't misunderstand me. I know not everyone is in the same situation. Just bitter because the capacity is there for her to actually do that work from home.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2020, 09:35:02 AM
Just bitter because the capacity is there for her to actually do that work from home.
Yeah, that I understand -- like I said, I imagine if that was your reality, it would be frustrating at least. Finding a job after all of this will be utter shithouse. I hope you guys can make the most of it though, because it's a fairly unique opportunity to be able to let go of work obligations and not have to worry about cost of living in these times.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Whole country is in lockdown now. Where people are now is where they'll stay (in theory) for the next four weeks. The border is closed except for returning citizens who either go into immediate isolation or go to a facility, and a handful of mercy flights to extricate foreign nationals.

I've been taking all this stuff fairly seriously coz I'm in charge of an older person with health issues. I've also been away from the site for a while due to unrelated health issues, but I'm likely back for the (minimum) four week lockdown.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Mar 25, 2020, 09:44:08 AM
Finding a job after all of this will be utter shithouse.

Yeah, that is something I'm so worried about for every single damn person in this world. It's all well and good surviving this disaster (and it is! Not being sarcastic), but lives are potentially going to be in pieces after we've recovered. So many businesses and livelihoods hang in the balance. I'm scared for everyone man.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 25, 2020, 09:44:08 AM
I hope you guys can make the most of it though, because it's a fairly unique opportunity to be able to let go of work obligations and not have to worry about cost of living in these times.

Very true. Unfortunately for me, that's Megan's pleasure. It's day 3 of working from home. I'm now in the office at work.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Does Megan like AvP?  If so, you could always put her to work writing AvPG articles. ;D

Seriously though, while the pay reduction is never easy, it's good that she's home.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Wait are you brits not getting a workers bailout?

SiL

SiL

They're getting 80% pay from the government if they lose their jobs.

What are you kiwis getting? We're getting $550AUD a fortnight  :-\

TC

TC

$585 per week but it passes through the employer's hands, who has to promise to top that up so that the employee is receiving at least 80% of normal wages.

But of course some employers won't be able to afford that (e.g. because their business isn't operating at all during the shut down), and some people are going to lose their jobs entirely. So apart from the unempoyment benefit (which would be far less than the $585), the govt. is considering other options like a universal basic income.

TC

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

I just got my new rota through, I'm on reduced hours, but receiving full pay as to my contracted hours for at least the next three weeks. I'm lucky in the respect that my employers are one of the biggest companies in the world, and our sales are now going to be done online for the foreseeable future.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

David Fincher gave an online master class to quarantined film students  :o

https://twitter.com/NFTSFilmTV/status/1242530797040488448?s

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed