Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 629,765 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 20, 2019, 07:42:16 PM
Oh yeah, I'll take the heat over the cold anyday!

I'm the opposite. It's much easier to get warm when you're cold than it is to get cold when you're f**king boiling.

Kradan

Kradan

It's because we're humans. And you're f**king Predator!

Joking aside, I agree with Corporal,

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 22, 2019, 07:36:21 AM

I'm the opposite. It's much easier to get warm when you're cold than it is to get cold when you're f**king boiling.

Getting cold when its boiling involves f**king witchcraft!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Well science definitely takes your side. I guess I'm just a warm blooded anomaly!

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 22, 2019, 08:16:14 AM
It's because we're humans. And you're f**king Predator!

Umm, guilty.

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Jul 22, 2019, 02:10:56 PM
Getting cold when its boiling involves f**king witchcraft!

Well, voodoo to be specific. But umm, also guilty.  :)

Huggs

Huggs

Like I tell people, you can always put on extra layers if you're cold, but there's only so much you can take off in the heat.

razeak

razeak

That's what I try to tell the wife when I'm baking alive in the house. Put more clothes on! I'm naked!

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jul 21, 2019, 10:54:14 PM

Only "classic Cartoon Network" show

Christ, this makes me feel so old.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd rather it be cool only when I sleep. 

Despite having heat exhaustion borderline heat stroke before (104.5 internal core temp), I basically become a non functioning lump of nothing when it becomes cold. 

However, one of the most miserable experiences of my entire existance was last year at JRTC where it was 85 degrees at night with 80 percent humidity.

When you finally get to the field portion of the exercise you just lay there and f**king boil at night.  It's miserable.  I'd strip down to my boxers and still would be sweating so bad that in the morning my sleeping roll would be stuck to my back. 

We got so exhausted we stopped posting but the barest minimum of security at night and hoped that we'd get killed off by the opfor, but because our humvees had CROWS on them, the enemy infantry would go f**k with everybody else. 

JRTC 0/10 would not recommend.

They didnt even kill me off until the last day, where it does no good. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If you're gonna get killed in JRTC, it's better to get it in the first few days.  The logic being you don't suffer that much.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yup. Even though we had 2 sapper cos for a whole brigade so those that were picked off by Geronimo were resurrected fairly quickly.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is it true that baby wipes are like gold when you're on deployment?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It's all circumstantial.  When I deployed I was still field artillery without a field artillery mission.  So we would run our missions every day and then return to base.  So I didn't need to rough it but for a handful of 48 hour ops where we stayed out and came back in after two days.  I just stayed up the two days and would crash when we came back. 

In terms of pure physical discomfort after I reclassed to 12B my rotations to NTC and JRTC were worse.  Because I "lived" through both of them and it was hot and we were still running route clearance packages for NTC and got attached to the infantry at JRTC where we lived with our trucks and on the ground.  In the 2nd instance baby wipes also work as adult wipes, but also help get the dust and grime off of you.  They now make field wipes that I'd take to every field rotation we did. 

Every kind of creature comfort that you can be afforded all depends on command (you might have them but they deem them unnecessary), location (if your in the middle of nowhere there is zero chance your getting them), unit relationships (our leadership with the sapper company WOULD ALWAYS rub people the wrong way and we would get left out of alot of amenities that the other units were getting) and what the enemy was doing.  Both real and fake.  JRTC the badguys would target water and food transports and if they were successful in hitting them then you would be hungry and thirsty.   

Its even worse in reality with support units who are totally risk averse.  We didn't get resupplied for the last month we were in Ethiopia because they thought Al Shabaab would target the convoy in.  I had alot of blueberry poptarts in those days because it was the only thing left to eat. 

So in short pack all the creature comforts you can.  Snacks, hygiene items, and snivel gear. 

Eventually though you will have to have water to rinse off with, but thats like two weeks.  Your sweat will crystalize in between your skin and clothes and start to irritate you pretty badly.   It looks like a heat rash but it is actually your clothes stabbing you. 

Kradan

Kradan

SM

SM

Goddamn stabby clothes.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2019, 08:02:12 AM
Goddamn stabby clothes.

You should've seen the pair of shoes I just threw away.

It's a miracle I'm wasn't hamstrung.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed