Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 855,140 times)

Prez

Prez

Alien Resurrection - Director's Cut.

I still find enjoyment in this one. It has all of Juenet's trademark Euro centric weirdness mixed with some interesting gothic horror.
For all it's faults, visually this one is a great looking film. The set design and VFX are great. Some of the CGI shows it age mind.

It does introduce some out there concepts to the Alien universe... that newborn is still silly.

I felt the cast was really strong and I enjoyed most of the characters. Ripley 8's personality was always intriguing to me.

It really is the bastard "spin off" child to the first 3 films ... I totally get the hate for it but I've really grown quite fond of it.

Russ

Russ

It looks beautiful. Which somehow adds insult to injury. I really hate this one... Dan Hedaya is a particular low point for me.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Russ on Oct 04, 2017, 08:19:48 AM
It looks beautiful. Which somehow adds insult to injury. I really hate this one... Dan Hedaya is a particular low point for me.

He is incredibly goofy in this film - most likely more to do with Jeunet's direction than anything.

Russ

Russ

Well, the whole thing is French whimsy, isn't it? Look, Jeunet makes not bones about that, they were making some sort of black comedy, egged on by Weaver herself who clearly had way too much influence over the production (then again, without her there wouldn't have been a production I guess)... it's all too artsy and up its own arse for me.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on Oct 04, 2017, 03:26:44 AMAlien Resurrection - Director's Cut.

I still find enjoyment in this one. It has all of Juenet's trademark Euro centric weirdness mixed with some interesting gothic horror.
For all it's faults, visually this one is a great looking film. The set design and VFX are great. Some of the CGI shows it age mind.

It does introduce some out there concepts to the Alien universe... that newborn is still silly.

I felt the cast was really strong and I enjoyed most of the characters. Ripley 8's personality was always intriguing to me.

It really is the bastard "spin off" child to the first 3 films ... I totally get the hate for it but I've really grown quite fond of it.

I've said it a few times - Resurrection is a good film, it's just a bad Alien film. Tonally it feels more like a horror spinoff of The Fifth Element, which is fine, it's just wrong for an Alien movie. I can quite enjoy it for what it is.

Incidentally, the extended chapel scene in the Special Edition is really good. Sigourney's great in it. A shame it got cut. Funny how most of the extensions in the longer cut seem to be bits that more directly reference the previous movies.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 04, 2017, 10:00:41 AM
Quote from: Prez on Oct 04, 2017, 03:26:44 AMAlien Resurrection - Director's Cut.

I've said it a few times - Resurrection is a good film, it's just a bad Alien film. Tonally it feels more like a horror spinoff of The Fifth Element, which is fine, it's just wrong for an Alien movie. I can quite enjoy it for what it is.

Incidentally, the extended chapel scene in the Special Edition is really good. Sigourney's great in it. A shame it got cut. Funny how most of the extensions in the longer cut seem to be bits that more directly reference the previous movies.

Agreed on most of that The Chapel scene is great.

Just finished part 5 (half of the Girl who kicked the Hornets Nest) of the original Millennium mini series.

Noomi is great in these films.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Monster Squad
Graveyard Shift

Two very different Stephen Macht performances. :laugh:

Puppet Master: The Legacy

If the fact that this was a clip show wasn't bad enough, it also tries to retcon some sense and continuity into the series... badly.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

What's up with all the Puppet Master films? Never seen any, sadly. Want to take on the Children Of The Corn series again?

Spoiler
Joking. :P
[close]

Finally going to watch Demonic Toys this year, interested to see how terrible it is   :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

My friend and frequent podcast cohost started doing video reviews of the series, so I got curious and decided to watch them. It hasn't been quite as annoying as the Corn movies, I'll give it that. And speaking of Demonic Toys, the crossover with Puppet Master is next... that premiered on the SyFy channel... :-\

I'll watch the first Demonic Toys eventually, since I'm kind of curious to see how a David Goyer penned Full Moon film looks. :laugh:

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

I see, which are you recommending? I seen your previous reviews, so I will guess 1 thru 3... ?

I also have Demonic Toys VS. Dollman on DVD yet to watch too, it looks even more horrible :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

So far I'd only recommend 3... and I suppose Retro Puppet Master is vaguely interesting in that it stars Mark from The Room and is partly responsible for that movie's existence.  :laugh:

Scorpio

Scorpio

Stephen King's IT mini-series 1990
Species 1995
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 05, 2017, 03:53:07 AM

Species 1995

I dug Species 1-3 out of the shed (in my quest for my Blade Runner Director's Cut DVD). Rather looking forward to them.

Scorpio

Scorpio

You should check out Species IV too.  I know it doesn't have the best reputation, but I enjoyed it for it was.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 05, 2017, 08:59:05 AM
You should check out Species IV too.  I know it doesn't have the best reputation, but I enjoyed it for it was.

I will if its on netflix or something - I don't think I have it my dvd collection. Thanks, though - I give no shits if the internet hive mind condemns a film (I rate Paul WS Anderson) and if its good and I like it... it's good and I like it!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed