Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 135,780 times)

CONKERSBADFURDAY

AvP4 is f**king strange. Will hopefully have a review for it up tomorrow, but I'm not even sure how to gauge this one.

Ultramorph

Mind giving us some spoiler-tagged insight into what's so strange? I don't mind spoilers.

RakaiThwei

I'm just curious to how the Predators are treated in the last issue.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 11, 2015, 08:51:02 PM
Mind giving us some spoiler-tagged insight into what's so strange? I don't mind spoilers.
Sure. Or, I'll do what I can :P

Spoiler
Elden takes the main stage this time, but he's less crazy revenge murderer person and more sad child who just realized the world isn't the way he thought it was. It's not a bad take on him, and while I can see the progression he made to this point, I just don't like it. Elden has not been a character I've ever sympathized with, but this comic absolutely wants me to feel sorry for him. SO when he spends a few pages talking to a Predator, asking "Why are you attacking me? Are you no different than the other monsters here?" etc, it just feels like it's trying to hard to come to an elevated point. The problem is, the first three issues didn't have such a thing going for them. This was just kill kill crazy chaos violence.

Poor dialogue doens't help.

Yet at the end, when all is said and done and points are trying to be made, what didn't work early in the comic starts to work. I actually quite liked the end, especially the last panel.
[close]

As to the predator:

Spoiler
He and Elden duke it out, but xenos show up at the last minute. Elden escapes and the predator does not.
[close]

DarthJoker45

Spoiler
Do we get to see the mutated predator duke it out with xenomorphs, and what exactly happens to Francis with his mutation? Does he stay hulked out, or does he change? Exactly how much fighting is in this issue?
[close]

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jan 12, 2015, 03:54:57 AM
Spoiler
Do we get to see the mutated predator duke it out with xenomorphs, and what exactly happens to Francis with his mutation? Does he stay hulked out, or does he change? Exactly how much fighting is in this issue?
[close]
There's not as much fighting as I was expecting. Will detail below

Spoiler
The super Pred never dukes it out with any Xenos. He and mutated Francis have a go for a few panels, and it's an alright fight. There's a nice bit of brutality there. Super Pred clearly has the upper hand. Eventually, Elden shows up, teams up wtih Francis, and the two take out the super Pred in what is also a nice bit of brutality. That's about as much fighting as there is though. Elden and the regular Pred fight in the beginning, and some Xenos show up, but the whole sequence isn't that impressive.
[close]

As to Francis then

Spoiler
The goo speeds up his cancer, so he's only hulked out for a little bit. Eventually he kinda starts to fall apart. I guess it's ironic that his last ditch effort killed him quicker than the disease though.
[close]

Ultramorph

Thanks for the info! It definitely sounds like a fittingly strange ending to a weird series. As far as Francis, it looks like I guessed right...
Spoiler
About the accelerant speeding up his cancer.
[close]

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Spoiler
That sounds both weird and very disappointing. Do the xenos show up at all for the rest of the issue? This has to be the most disappointing book in the whole Fire and Stone series.
[close]

RakaiThwei

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Jan 12, 2015, 03:32:49 AM
As to the predator:

Spoiler
He and Elden duke it out, but xenos show up at the last minute. Elden escapes and the predator does not.
[close]

So in other words.. based on what you say also in other replies--

Spoiler
The remaining Predator dies like a bitch.. and in the beginning of the issue too. Lame.
[close]

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jan 12, 2015, 03:48:39 PM
Spoiler
That sounds both weird and very disappointing. Do the xenos show up at all for the rest of the issue? This has to be the most disappointing book in the whole Fire and Stone series.
[close]
Spoiler
Pretty much. They show up at the very end and surround Elden, but they don't actually do anything to him.

And yeah, AvP has turned out to be my least favorite of the Fire and Stone comics, which is a damn shame since I loved the first two and enjoyed the third.
[close]

@Rakathwei

Spoiler
To be fair, he puts up a good fight with Elden. Eventually xenos show up though, and Elden coward powers away. I wouldn't say the Predator died like a bitch, but he def goes out near the beginning of the issue.
[close]

Ultramorph

Spoiler
Any indication as to why Elden goes back to LV-223 in Omega?
[close]

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 12, 2015, 10:41:14 PM
Spoiler
Any indication as to why Elden goes back to LV-223 in Omega?
[close]
I didn't even know that was a thing :P

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Interesting. Have you seen the Omega trailer?

http://m.ign.com/videos/2015/01/09/prometheus-omega-trailer

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/josh-williamson-interviews-kelly-sue-on-prometheus/1100-150946/

Spoiler
Given that Omega picks up in April, I wonder why Elden waits so long, and what he's doing in that time, assuming that the preview we got today picks up page 1.
[close]

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 12, 2015, 10:49:01 PM
Interesting. Have you seen the Omega trailer?

http://m.ign.com/videos/2015/01/09/prometheus-omega-trailer

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/josh-williamson-interviews-kelly-sue-on-prometheus/1100-150946/

Spoiler
Given that Omega picks up in April, I wonder why Elden waits so long, and what he's doing in that time, assuming that the preview we got today picks up page 1.
[close]
Have not. Honestly, I've been doing my best to avoid any and all spoilers for this so I can go in as blind as possible.

Which is ironic since I"ve been answering everyone's questions here :P

DarthJoker45

This has proven one thing. Christopher Sebela does not need to write an AVP comic ever again.

Spoiler
He stated that he was going to feature aliens and predators fighting each other to the death. Instead, he gave us a mutant monster mash up. This comic had a great set up, and I agree that the first two issues were solid. However, it just went down hill with the third issue. I am not saying that Sebela is a bad writer, but he definitely didn't handle this story arc well with the last two issues. 
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed