Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 133,417 times)

happypred

Wanted to start a thread collecting all reviews so far

I'd also appreciate it if AvP Galaxy members post their reviews and synopses here in the future. Please also feel free to link comic book website reviews of the Fire and Stone here.

We have these so far (thanks to Ultramorph):

Prometheus #1 Comicbookbin

Prometheus #1 Whatchareading

Prometheus #1 Skeletonpete

Prometheus #1 Famousmonsters

Prometheus #1 Thisisanothercastle

Russ

OK, so I know I'm going to get rapped in the mouth for this, but...

Is there an Aliens: Fire and Stone, AvP Fire and Stone and Prometheus: Fire and Stone.

Or is there just "Fire and Stone#1" - I'm looking at the DH website now, and I can see all sorts of #1s is all..

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Russ on Sep 09, 2014, 08:52:22 AM
OK, so I know I'm going to get rapped in the mouth for this, but...

Is there an Aliens: Fire and Stone, AvP Fire and Stone and Prometheus: Fire and Stone.

Or is there just "Fire and Stone#1" - I'm looking at the DH website now, and I can see all sorts of #1s is all..
As long as there are two Ps, we're good.  ;)

There are multiple minis.  Prometheus: Fire and Stone, Aliens: Fire and Stone, Predator: Fire and Stone, and AVP: Fire and Stone.  Each mini is numbered 1 to 4.   Crossover City.

Russ

Nice one, UA - much appreciated.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Nice idea for a thread, happypred!

There's also a few more reviews that have gone up:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2014/09/03/is-it-good-prometheus-fire-and-stone-1-review/ (8/10)

and the spoiler-filled

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?4248-Prometheus-Fire-And-Stone-1

Unleash the Fanboy has a 7.5/10 review, too.

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comics/reviews-comics/indie-reviews-comics/prometheus-fire-stone-1-review/117861

Rhymes With Geek gave it an 8/10.

http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com/prometheus-fire-stone-1-rwg-reviews/

I just saw that TFAW has charged my account, and will be shipping issue #1 probably tomorrow. After a year of waiting, this is definitely cool, even if shipping costs suck.  :)

Also, two small, spoiler-free reviews, both positive.

http://bigcomicpage.com/2014/09/10/joint-review-prometheus-fire-and-stone-1-of-4-dark-horse/

From everything I've read it seems...

Spoiler
That this issue gets better in the second half, and that the first half is a bit burdened by having to introduce all the characters. I'm fine with that, as that's exactly what we should have expected from the first issue of such a big series.
[close]

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 09, 2014, 11:17:11 AM
Nice idea for a thread, happypred!

Thanks, I'm hoping we'll link reviews and share our own reviews here, hopefully for every issue of Fire and Stone

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dark-horse-comics/prometheus-fire-and-stone/1

Corporal Hicks

Should be out today. :) I'm gonna go pick up my copy tomorrow after work. I'm trying to avoid the reviews for the moment.

movieartman

movieartman

ok my thoughts & review, SPOILERS

PROMETHEUS - FIRE & STONE #1
- wow this takes place over two hundred years after prometheus  ???
- cast all seems likable
- faces are well drawn, realistic, was worried we would get some more cartoony faces like most of the recent idw godzilla comics, good subtle changes in expressions, without the character looking like a new person.
- metal everywhere, likely reefering to the underground base that the engineers ships emerged from in the film
- jungle... i like this, the oil is growing a world like it did on earth, a complaint some had about the film was that was a plot hole that this black oil was used for VERY different thing with many different results, i like that they are flat out making that in continuity that the oil is chaotic and can do a mass variety of things
- the alien monkey is bad freaking ass, would love to see larger versions of em fighting the xenos
- GOD DAMN IT enough with the planet confusion make up your damn minds!
- ok so the xeno's where looose at some point, to have killed the cattle like aliens, so... some one had to lock them back in the hope.
- speaking of which DEM XENOS look awesome by this artist!  ;D
- wait... WAIT... are the xenos from 426? and came here on the hope? or did they evolve from the deacon?

great issue, great art with a lush range of imagery, both organic and industrial landscapes look great by him.
still confusing at point... in a good way.. mostly

in the end im VASTLY more hyped for these series after this issue than i was prior to it, which is a very good thing. (and i was pretty damn hyped to begin with so thats saying something)

TheBATMAN

I enjoyed issue 1. Nice art and sets things up nicely and the pacing is nice and slow. Looking forward to #2. I just wish the art for the rest of the series will be this good.

wmmvrrvrrmm

The art seemed good, but the story made me cringe. I wonder why they're wearing the space helmets from Prometheus .

Ultramorph

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Sep 11, 2014, 10:38:09 PM
The art seemed good, but the story made me cringe. I wonder why they're wearing the space helmets from Prometheus .

They reused a lot of art from the original issue #1 (when the story was set immediately after the film), which was finished before Fox made them rewrite the story, hence the old suits. A bit lazy, but studio interference is a bear.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 11, 2014, 10:44:39 PM

They reused a lot of art from the original issue #1 (when the story was set immediately after the film), which was finished before Fox made them rewrite the story, hence the old suits. A bit lazy, but studio interference is a bear.

well, it might have helped if they set it back then. I was wondering if they had a clue which year it was supposed to be set. And their space ship looks a bit inspired by the Prometheus as well. So there was an original #1. hmm

orchidal

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Sep 11, 2014, 11:06:21 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 11, 2014, 10:44:39 PM

well, it might have helped if they set it back then. I was wondering if they had a clue which year it was supposed to be set. And their space ship looks a bit inspired by the Prometheus as well. So there was an original #1. hmm

Despite all these inconsistencies (especially the location/moon confusion in this issue) I thought the story set up an adventure that may potentially be more Lovecraftian (AtMoM specifically) than the film it's based upon

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: orchidal on Sep 12, 2014, 12:03:37 AM
Despite all these inconsistencies (especially the location/moon confusion in this issue) I thought the story set up an adventure that may potentially be more Lovecraftian (AtMoM specifically) than the film it's based upon

Well, I dread to think what next actually, with all these Fox representives telling them that they can't have this and this without that and this meaning that they have to move it further into the future by 129 years or whatever to turn it into Aliens meets Prometheus

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed