First Alien: Isolation Screenshots

Started by ikarop, Dec 13, 2013, 08:22:23 AM

Author
First Alien: Isolation Screenshots (Read 53,861 times)

underbound

I like what I see. Lets just hope its not shit like A:CM. Other than that im looking forward to this now that we got something flowing fake or not.

Bio Mech Hunter

Bio Mech Hunter

Wow, these are impressive. Hopefully they're actual in-game screenshots. I love the atmosphere and attention to detail.

Quote from: Its_Auto on Dec 13, 2013, 11:02:18 AM
I *really* hope these are in-game screenshots and not pre rendered, as if they are, they are doing what i've always said most games lack in - focus. One of the few games that *have* done this was Killzone 2,  whereby if you aim down the barrel of the gun, the gun became blurred/unfocused just like it would in real life rather than being a flat image with the rest of the screen, and from that top image, it looks like the focus is correctly on the motion tracker making the background slightly blurred ~ i LOVE this effect SO SO much, just makes it look real/movie like... im totally excited for this game!!
I'm with you on this. When done right, it really does add to the immersion.

Engineer

When I hear "clones" it makes me think of resurrection. I hope this is NOT the case, but what if the 'twist' is that Amanda ripley is not really Amanda ripley, but a ripley clone leftover from alien resurrection and relocated to a remote space station....

I hope not, but that was the thought that popped into my head...

Powerloader

Quote from: Engineer on Dec 15, 2013, 04:54:23 AM
When I hear "clones" it makes me think of resurrection. I hope this is NOT the case, but what if the 'twist' is that Amanda ripley is not really Amanda ripley, but a ripley clone leftover from alien resurrection and relocated to a remote space station....

The tech looks very Alien-era, so I doubt it.

robbritton

Looks grand, let's hope the quality level can be maintained.

Engineer

Quote from: Powerloader on Dec 15, 2013, 08:30:43 AM

Yes, I noticed that too... But the whole clone thing really just bugs me. I really hope it has nothing to do with resurrection...

MrSpaceJockey

I think he meant that the connection with Rez would be the "twist" - that clone Amanda would be in an old abandoned station from the Alien era but she would actually be in hundreds of years afterwards.

Quote from: Engineer on Dec 15, 2013, 04:09:02 PM

Yes, I noticed that too... But the whole clone thing really just bugs me. I really hope it has nothing to do with resurrection...

Probably doesn't have anything to do with Resurrection. They seem to be straying away from the sequels as much as possible, Rez would probably be on top of that list right below the AVP films.

Mr. Clemens

Don't forget, the oft-quoted "clones and soldiers" line was originally said by a guy who 'knows a guy' at CA, I believe. He might have meant synthetics.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 15, 2013, 04:16:48 PM
I think he meant that the connection with Rez would be the "twist" - that clone Amanda would be in an old abandoned station from the Alien era but she would actually be in hundreds of years afterwards.

Then she'd be called 'Ripley 9' and we'd instantly know from the start, because of the identical likeness and voice.

So, not much of a twist which could be feasible. :) And, really, if that were the case? It'd be a selling point... Play as a part-Alien human with acidic blood and heightened senses/strength/reflexes for helping to solve puzzles. That kind of stuff.

Besides which, they weren't even expecting Ripley 8 to have her old self's memories. It's unlikely they'd replace them with her deceased daughter's for no real advantage.

MrSpaceJockey

"After all, they are emotionally inexperienced, with only a few years in which to store up the experiences which you and I take for granted. If we gift them with a past, we create a cushion or a pillow for their emotions, and consequently, we can control them better."

Maybe those clone soldiers are actually replicants.  ;)

DUB1

DUB1

Those screenshots look nice, but the settings look too familiar. Don't get me wrong, I love the aesthetics unique to the Alien franchise, but we've seen space stations and LV-426-like colonies a lot already, so I'm hoping that we get some fresh places to explore. Something we haven't already explored in a Alien game or even the movies. It doesn't even have to be for a whole mission, it could just be a few rooms that resemble nothing we've already seen.

UDA

UDA

I don't know, I can't imagine any situation in which I would like the idea of clones.

I could see them doing something like Cloning Amanda, and that clone being the one you play as, and then later encountering other clones of her, making a huge test out a xenomorph encounter, a while conspiracy. I know I'm being negative here, but the more I think about it, the whole Clone concept just implies things I can't get behind. Maybe resurrection just let that bad taste in my mouth, but there's only so many reasons the narrative of the story would call for clones instead of synthetics or just more soldiers, and I can't think of one scenario that's appealing.

I'm actually okay with the familiar atmosphere. I thought the Colony in ACM was horribly done (not just because it wasn't as movie accurate as I would have liked). In this case I don't guess they're making an exact replication of the Nostromo, which if fine with me. We rarely get to see situations with aesthetics from the first movie, and I always thought it had the strongest atmosphere, right along side those gorgeous sets in Alien 3. Right now I don't care if they create original environments or not, I'm happy seeing those familiar computer screens, glowing things in what might be the medical bay, suits, ect. I kind of hope they would have a lot of the same signs and symbols that were present in the movie, small details like that (the sign of the person floating upside down, that stuff). If this is a ship and not a space station, I'd love you see the bridge, and maybe even the computer room where the Nostromo crew talked to mother.

Oh, and the areas where they were gathering coolant from, and the room (I don't recall what it was, but I refer to it as the Rain room) where Brett was killed. The aesthetics there were great, Giger or Giger like work was snuck into a lot of those shots, and it worked really well. Not asking for the same thing, but if they could tap into the spirit of some of those sets...

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I think we're over-thinking the clones thing. Mr Clemens had a point about it probably meaning synthetics or something. If anything "cloning" would just be a cheap explanation of the grunts you'll be fighting and nothing more, I'd bet.

Hopefully the holdover elements in the screenshots are coupled with the sense of a 20-50 year time difference in terms of technology.  I don't want it to be pure Alien the same reason I didn't like Aliens: CM for being pure Aliens.  Maybe include the Alien 3 version of the interlocked W and Y Weyland-Yutani logo in addition to the Weylan wings. This isn't official canon at all but I imagined the Fury 161 base to be older than the colonies and such of LV-426, which would explain the more angular looking W/Y logo there as opposed to the blockier one seen in Aliens (and since Hadley's Hope is about 20 years old, my "fanon" backstory for Fury would place its creation around the timeframe of Alien: Isolation, so that logo would be appropriate)  More of the Japanese kanji, as one of the screenshots hints at, would also give a better sense of the multi-cultural aspect of the company.

I too, would love to see a return of sets like the landing leg room (What you call the Rain Room is where the landing gear of the ship tucks into when the Nostromo is in flight - the alien is actually hanging off of the landing leg's "toes" when it attacks Brett), which, with its high ceilings and little lighting, had such an awesome Gothic feel that needs to come back.

Dustie

Dustie

I thought clones and soldiers is just a messy reference to all the Alien drones. It doesn't really look like they can clone people in Alien era. It was difficult enough in Resurrection times.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

But that was because of the gene splicing the Alien does when it impregnates you.

Supposedly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed