Prometheus+Predators?

Started by TJByrum, Nov 15, 2013, 09:07:59 PM

Author
Prometheus+Predators? (Read 38,784 times)

Liberator

Liberator

Thanks to Nightmare Asylum, and to the staff at Prometheus.  The predator sightings in Prometheus are among the high points watching it.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Liberator I think you need to take your opera playing predators and whatever writing ability you might have to the vengeance for wolf thread and complete that story for the good of avpgalaxy.

SM

SM

I'm feeling very Liberatored.

SiL

SiL

It's a lens flare! A leeeens flaaaare!

*dragged off in straight jacket*

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 18, 2013, 12:57:54 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 17, 2013, 06:52:10 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 17, 2013, 05:30:24 AM
The funny part here is that AvP Requiem already kinda-sorta linked them, what with the Space Jockey skull up on the wall at the beginning of the movie. :P
And Prometheus directly negated it with Weyland.
Not really - surely you've seen the discussions we've had about that and how they're not mutually exclusive, right? :)
I have.

Those were some... er, great... discussions...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Liberator on Nov 26, 2013, 05:57:36 AM
Thanks to Nightmare Asylum, and to the staff at Prometheus.  The predator sightings in Prometheus are among the high points watching it.

Dude, I was joking when I posted that video. It's clearly a lens flare :P

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

To be fair, it IS still present in the movie, even if it's just a coincidence. One could argue the case that there's absolutely no way nobody working on the movie didn't notice it pre-release and say "hey, look at that. Maybe we should edit it out digitally?"
It would have been trivial to remove, and instead they left it in.

Sometimes the best moments in movies are unintentional. :)

And given the franchise and its history, it's a pretty uncanny and hilarious coincidence. I mean of all the things that could have accidentally happened in 'Prometheus', we got an accidental blatant Predator reference? Holy shit.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 27, 2013, 11:00:11 PM
To be fair, it IS still present in the movie, even if it's just a coincidence. One could argue the case that there's absolutely no way nobody working on the movie didn't notice it pre-release and say "hey, look at that. Maybe we should edit it out digitally?"
One could argue the case that there absolutely is a way, and even if they did, that they clearly didn't care

Aspie

Aspie

This thread, retroactively, is what gave Freddie Mercury aids.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Nov 27, 2013, 11:23:36 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 27, 2013, 11:00:11 PM
One could argue the case that there absolutely is a way, and even if they did, that they clearly didn't care
Either one of which doesn't really reflect well on the filmmakers and their attention to detail. :P

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Oh yeah, because they designed a tri-light flashlight that caused a lens flare with a red tint in one take, taking the same formation of a laser that Predators in some- unfortunately -previously connected movies also used, and choosing to not edit it out or use another take is poor attention to detail. It's astounding, the fact that the people making Prometheus didn't give a shit about Predator or AvP still perplexes the fanboys. Here's some straws; take as many as you'd like.

Quote from: Aspie on Nov 28, 2013, 12:00:26 AM
...Oh Jesus.  :laugh:

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: Aspie on Nov 28, 2013, 12:00:26 AM

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 28, 2013, 12:27:26 AM
Oh yeah, because they designed a tri-light flashlight that caused a lens flare with a red tint in one take, taking the same formation of a laser that Predators in some- unfortunately -previously connected movies also used, and choosing to not edit it out or use another take is poor attention to detail. It's astounding, the fact that the people making Prometheus didn't give a shit about Predator or AvP still perplexes the fanboys. Here's some straws; take as many as you'd like.
You, uh, you kinda missed my point there.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Alright. Then what is your point?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Whether it was intentional or not, whatever the reason for it being there, doesn't change the fact that it *is* there. Of all the movies for a blatant Predator reference to show up in unchecked (accidental or not, doesn't matter), it's in the Alien prequel by Ridley Scott? That's amazing.

That's like finding a Freddy Krueger reference in the original 1980 'Friday the 13th'. It's like if an extra in 'Schindler's List' happened to be wearing Indiana Jones' hat through sheer coincidence. It's like, well, any of these.

The way I see the tri-laser thing in Prometheus, there's a few scenarios:

1. It happened by accident and (somehow) nobody noticed, despite passing through the hands of numerous movie industry professionals. We noticed it, and we're just random people on the internet. In my book, that makes the filmmakers ignorant.

2. It happened by accident, someone noticed, but somehow had never seen 'Predator' or heard of "AvP" (despite it literally being an unspoken topic during the making of the movie). In my book, that makes them culturally ignorant.

3. It happened by accident, someone noticed, recognized what it could be interpreted as, and left it in anyway because they "didn't care". In my book, that makes them culturally ignorant (although for different reasons) given the nature of the Internet and "fandom". The fact that we're having this discussion at all is evidence of this, not to mention countless other discussions we've had about all kinds of single-frame minutiae in all of the movies ever since the movies were available for home viewing (and re-viewing and in-depth scrutiny).

4. It happened by accident, someone noticed, recognized what it could be interpreted as, and left it in intentionally. In my book, that makes them brilliant master trolls of the highest order, largely for the same reasons as #3 above.

It's a little bit like Robert Rodriguez openly saying that 'Predators' wasn't going to reference anything other than the first Predator movie, and then it ends up making references to other Predator/AvP material anyway (intentionally or otherwise).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed