Hudson ruins the movie for me.

Started by tmoldovan, Aug 27, 2013, 02:05:39 AM

Author
Hudson ruins the movie for me. (Read 5,247 times)

DC

DC

QuoteI generally agree that too much levity and knee-slapping can undermine the fear factor, but Hudson doesn't even approach the levels of wakka-wakka that Resurrection is guilty of.

^

Also, you have to admit Hudson handled himself better than most of us would have in their situation, it was quasi-realistic in a surreal, fictional sort of sense, and Cameron did a good job of making the film feel like it actually happened.

SM

SM

He SHOULD have handled himself better, what with being a trained and experienced marine.

TheMonolith

Who was trained and had experience only fighting gun toting people and had never seen, heard of or fought space rapists before.

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Aug 30, 2013, 10:18:45 PM
He SHOULD have handled himself better, what with being a trained and experienced marine.
Wait, wait, we don't know that. He sure sounds like the a-typical poor bastard that joined the core just to get out of his student loan debt. :P What was he combat experience anyways?

Plus being COMTECH... he was the NeeeeeeerrrDDD! of the group. So I totally buy his performance.  ;)

SM

SM

So he's four weeks from the end of his tour - and he never saw combat?

Seriously do people even watch these movies or just fast forward to da 'splosions...

TheMonolith

Never said he didn't see combat. His dialogue insinuates that he did, but strictly of the homo sapien variety.

SM

SM

No it doesn't.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Seemed they were far more accustomed to bug hunts than actual combat.

Quote from: TheMonolith on Aug 31, 2013, 11:16:30 AM
Never said he didn't see combat. His dialogue insinuates that he did, but strictly of the homo sapien variety.
It's usually the person who hasn't seen front line combat that talks shit like Hudson did. I don't even think he had much human battle experience either. Even in today's world it is very possible to be in the military for years and never be placed in direct harm. The movie portrayed soldiers such as Apone, Hicks, Vasquez and Dietrich as combat harden, while Gorman and Hudson were inexperienced. I don't think Arcturian poontang counts. Hudson didn't appear to be all that invested in military service.

TheMonolith

I'm a bit confused here.
Quote from: SM on Aug 31, 2013, 11:07:27 AM
So he's four weeks from the end of his tour - and he never saw combat?

Seriously do people even watch these movies or just fast forward to da 'splosions...
Doesn't this insinuate that you think he saw combat at least once?

I feel the squad (with the obvious exception of Gorman) has seen combat a few times, but had recently been subject to wild goose chases. However, I could be wrong, and if you have any in film evidence to counter it, I will retract this statement.
The point I am trying to make is, as far as I can tell, they were trained to deal with people on people combat, or what Hudson refers to as a stand up fight.  Other than that sticker on the nose of the drop ship, I see nothing to suggest otherwise.
They had been debriefed on xenomorphs beforehand, and had even seen them in the form of facehuggers. Additionally, the condition of the colony insinuates that something very bad happened there. Still, until you see the things in the flesh, there is no telling how you will react, soldier or not.

Now SM, I like you a lot. You are awesome. So, if you disagree, show me why and I will gladly look over what you have to present.

SM

SM

I just think they've (including Hudson seeing as he's been in the corps a long time - nearly 10 years) seen a lot of stand up fights AND bug hunts.  Recently however it's been a few bug hunts.

"Is this going to be a stand up fight, sir, or another bughunt."

I don't buy the whole Hudson is inexperienced thing.  He's just out of his depth in this case.

TheMonolith

That's exactly what I am saying.
See? We agreed with each other the entire time.

DC

DC

Quote"Is this going to be a stand up fight, sir, or another bughunt."

Doesn't necessarily mean he's encountered anything like what they encounter on LV-426.

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Aug 31, 2013, 12:26:15 PM
I just think they've (including Hudson seeing as he's been in the corps a long time - nearly 10 years) seen a lot of stand up fights AND bug hunts.  Recently however it's been a few bug hunts.

I don't buy the whole Hudson is inexperienced thing.  He's just out of his depth in this case.
Yea, alright. The aliens were probably the first enemy to cut them down to the bone.

DC

DC

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 31, 2013, 11:49:34 PM
Quote from: SM on Aug 31, 2013, 12:26:15 PM

Yea, alright. The aliens were probably the first enemy to cut them down to the bone.

I wouldn't word my post that way. The LV-426 aliens were probably the scariest f**king shit they've ever encountered, more like. ;)

Local Trouble

Yet the others didn't panic like he did.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed