Sorry, but I'm getting sick of ALIENS

Started by StayFrosty, Apr 09, 2013, 09:14:52 PM

Author
Sorry, but I'm getting sick of ALIENS (Read 10,543 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

I like that you don't see the queen burst out in Alien 3 SE/WC/AC/w/e, because it presents the idea that Ripley killed herself for no reason. The alien could have avoided killing her because it wasn't into chicks, or something. It's an alien, not a LogicTron Eight Thousand. Ultrasound? If you use your imagination you can see anything in those bloody things. If she and Aaron had been hungry, they might have seen a packet of crisps.

So ultimately, she threw herself into a vat of molten lead to stop feeling a bit sick, which makes Alien 3 my favourite film to watch when I have the flu.

SM

SM

Gilfryd

We definitely didn't need to see Ripley being chestbursted while ending her life.

First Blood

Go home Vertigo. You're drunk.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 09, 2013, 11:10:25 PM
Dodgy special effects aside, I like the version of the ending with the Queen not popping out of Ripley's chest. The one with the Queen provided some great imagery (I love the shot of her clutching the Queen as she falls into the furnace) but it also feels a bit forced.

Realistically she should have been spasming all over the place like Caine. It also seems a little too dramatically convenient for the Queenbuster to pop right at the very moment of Ripleys swan dive. Unless it somehow sensed it's impending demise and decided to "get out of there" asap.

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 10, 2013, 12:20:16 AM
Go home Vertigo. You're drunk.

Sounds like he might have the flu...  :(

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

It happens with every movie I think, thats why I restrict myself to watching my favorite movies once or twice a year at most. That way I keep them fresh, and watching them doesnt seem like a chore or just going through the motions, which is what usually happens when you watch the film over and over again throughout most of your life. When it comes to Alien movies (the trilogy), I watch it once a year usually during Fall cause the gloomy weather fits the mood of the movies the best, especially Alien 3

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: StayFrosty on Apr 09, 2013, 11:06:13 PM
One thing that bothers me about 'Aliens' is domes vs. ridges.... I still don't really know how to explain it. And it's weird that the ridged-heads have only been in two films vs. 4 dome films.  :D

Think JC explained it had something to do with the aliens being older and their craniums (the smooth part that covered the brain) simply fell off or disintegrated.... something like that!

Back on topic....

Yeah, this film has warn down on me too over time, it's a great sequel of course, but the theatrical cut was always enough for me.  The military approach was definitely something new back in the day, and who could deny Cameron's film a place in history that didn't just do what was done before, and has since been copied time and time again.  While there is some great additions to the DC, non of it really adds much to the film EXCEPT the early Colony sequence leading up to where the Jordan's find the alien ship, which should never have been removed in the first place.

As for the other films...

Alien is still the best for me and still holds up today probably because it's such an extraordinary event.  Like any film you do have to be in the mood for it, but there's something about the slow pacing that always works with this film, even though you've seen it a thousand times and know whats coming.  Sadly the DC of this film is a non-event for me, not only did Scott not really want to do it but it shows.  Typical examples of this would be, the long awaited Cocoon Scene that was not only re-edited to speed things up, but it was also put in the wrong place, and the infamous Alien Transmission scene that now has a different sound that is not only different, but so different in fact that it sounds suspiciously human! Adding to that existing scenes which were unnecessarily cut to give us a film that was actually shorter than the original release. 

Alien3 I have to admit I hated this film when it came out, but having read the book by Alan Dean Foster, I was really looking forward to this, little did I know then there was a lot more going for this film than the studio was letting on.  I very rarely watch the theatrical release, but the SE is definitely something else here and well worth a nostalgic look at least.  While it is obviously the studios attempt to give the fans what they want, since director David Fincher flatly refused to have any more to do with it, the Alien3 Special Edition provides us with an insight of what could have been a greater sequel.  A kind of mash-up between what we had been wanting to see, a couple of redundant scenes the film didn't need and, for whatever reason, different cuts thrown in of existing scenes that made little to no difference.

Alien Resurrection as a film in its own right works fine but just doesn't cut it as an ALIEN film, some of it is great, but the black humor is so out of place. We have the interesting idea of a Ripley clone with part of the alien inside her but the whole thing is barely explored, safe for a new military with little knowledge of what they're doing, yet they manage to bring Ripley back with little to no explanation. While a lot of people feel the film was just too different from the others, I often felt there was a lot of scope for the new Ripley, possibly adding a completely new trilogy in another direction. But Jean-Pierre Jeunet's film just feels like a missed opportunity, hence I suppose even by his own admission, the extended cut really isn't worth watching, FOX wanted it to complete a box-set to match the other films and they got it, even the behind the scenes stuff isn't much to write about.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Apr 10, 2013, 12:10:36 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5Uhrt-fB_i4pPH9nnBnPMAPoW6I8Dps7kuVp8eSlpiIpQ1lXJFA9eivUXLw

lmao

I've always preferred the TC of Aliens to the SE.  And even then I also went through the "it isn't the same movie I loved as a kid," phase with Aliens.  But I think it was simply overexposure to the movie.  When I was youngish, I literally would watch the movie, or pieces of the movie almost every day if I didn't have anything going on.  I thought it was that cool. 

Eventually though your taste is going to change and your going to move onto other things and I went through a stage where I couldn't watch the movie without zoning out and moving onto something else.

Literally after a couple of years without watching it at all, I've come back to it on this deployment about three times already and have had similar enjoyment viewing it, as I did when I was younger.

I think I simply had watched it to much, and was disappointed that other sequels in the franchise didn't measure up (Ares, AvP, AvPR, Prometheus) and nothing else provided me with similar thrills until the last couple of years with the newish scifi movies being released.

The Marines act like a deployed unit away from command authority.  Didn't bother me.  When we were in Dire Dawa, we acted the same way.  If they were around a bunch of brass instead of one lone LT, they probably would've been more disciplined.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

I got sick of Aliens ages ago, both the extended cut and the director's cut. One of the most overrated movies of all time, hands down.

Then on the other hand I can no longer stand any of James Cameron's movies anymore, except for Terminator, the original. That one I like, and I like it a lot.

SiL

SiL

It's only overrated when you get into discussions with large groups of die-hard fanboys.

Much like Alien3.

SM

SM

QuoteIt also seems a little too dramatically convenient for the Queenbuster to pop right at the very moment of Ripleys swan dive.

Curse you dramatic climax to fictional story!!!

Kimarhi

Given the fact that Aliens are man hunting space ninjas, you could chalk it up to the queen realizing it was in freefall mode and trying to do something to escape.  That and the sudden temp increase of falling into a furnace.....

PsyKore

Quote from: Gilfryd on Apr 10, 2013, 12:18:49 AM
We definitely didn't need to see Ripley being chestbursted while ending her life.

Not wanting to sound corny, but I thought it was poetic in a way. Very symbolic and it underlines Ripley's constant fight with the creature. Some people even liken it to Jesus on the cross. Yes, it is dramatic, but it's a damn beautiful end. In the version she doesn't burst, it feels less meaningful.

Also, something silly, you can kind of look at it like the opening EEV crash scene where Ripley loses everything important to her, only this time Ripley is the EEV and it's now the Queen inside that is losing everything.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SM on Apr 10, 2013, 11:05:13 PM
QuoteIt also seems a little too dramatically convenient for the Queenbuster to pop right at the very moment of Ripleys swan dive.

Curse you dramatic climax to fictional story!!!

Damn, that should have read queenburster not buster. And Kane not Caine. It's all Vertigo's fault! :P

QuoteCurse you dramatic climax to fictional story!!!

Yeah yeah, but the Alien universe has always been about realism and believability. That TC burster scene was stretching it a little too far IMO.

And as Cvalda mentioned, it makes Ripley's sacrifice considerably more meaningful if there was still time to save her. She could have lived a normal life but instead chose to martyr herself in order to prevent the Company obtaining a live specimen.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: ST on Apr 11, 2013, 03:24:12 PM
Yeah yeah, but the Alien universe has always been about realism and believability.
Like how the main Monster conveniently comes back at the end.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed