SEQUEL NEWS: Fox Struggling with Hiring Writers

Started by Gazz, Mar 27, 2013, 05:50:54 PM

Author
SEQUEL NEWS: Fox Struggling with Hiring Writers (Read 61,464 times)

Nightmare Asylum

BCP make this movie.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

...Things already veered off into space opera with Prometheus... might as well go all the way and do it properly in the sequel instead of delving back into unimaginative 1 Aliun vs a group of peoplez! Killing them off one by one.

yawn. :P

This film will either deliver an awesomely insane Giger nightmare.. or it will be a f**king failure of imagination. :P

And they better get Giger or Carlos Huante involved at an early stage... otherwise.. ugh. :P

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Blacklabel on Mar 29, 2013, 06:12:26 PM
And they better get Giger or Carlos Huante involved at an early stage

Agreed. And once they get them on, KEEP THEM ON.

Blacklabel

I really dont understand why Ridley got in contact with Giger too late in production.

Stupid.

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 29, 2013, 05:43:32 PM
BCP make this movie.

One at a time!  :laugh:

And they better get Giger or Carlos Huante involved at an early stage... otherwise.. ugh. :P

If I were in charge they'd already be involved. Before the script. I'd pay them to stay on throughout production. If the studio is having problems finding writers that can spin a yarn ... then get some great creature and environmental concepts out there to inspire them. Let THOSE be the seeds that grow the story. Hell ... pay a great composer to come up with a few atmospheric tracks for someone to write to. Feed that creative process!!

Not having cash has always been the great inhibitor for me. For what these guys spend on catering for a week could get an creatively unbridled project out of my head and onto paper at least.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

They are going through a lot of writers because they are looking to do the cheapest version.
The first movie made some cash but it survived on Ridley coming back home to an Alien movie. After the audience saw the results..... that hype isn't there anymore so pretty sure the studio is being extremely careful this time around.

irn

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Mar 29, 2013, 07:21:09 PM
After audience saw the results..... that hype isn't there anymore so pretty sure the studio is being extremely careful this time around.

Exactly. For the sequel to make any money it does have to be actually good. The initial press screenings would need to confirm it in their reviews before a sceptical public pay for a ticket.

TheChazmoch

...Things already veered off into space opera with Prometheus... might as well go all the way and do it properly in the sequel instead of delving back into unimaginative 1 Aliun vs a group of peoplez! Killing them off one by one.

yawn. :P

This film will either deliver an awesomely insane Giger nightmare.. or it will be a f**king failure of imagination. :P

You can dial the sub-genre nob down from "Space Opera" without jumping straight to "Contrived Sci-fi Slasher Flick". I'm in the school of thought that I don't want this to turn into just an R-rated, twisted Star Wars, or Mass Effect.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Mar 29, 2013, 07:21:09 PM
They are going through a lot of writers because they are looking to do the cheapest version. The first movie made some cash but it survived on Ridley coming back home to an Alien movie. After the audience saw the results..... that hype isn't there anymore so pretty sure the studio is being extremely careful this time around.

Well...this automatically gets my vote of confidence.   ::)

I don't know how much cheaper you can get than a non-Hollywood, unpublished screenwriter (Spaihts).  Of course, in that case, it might have actually turned out somewhat okay.  Unfortunately, Lindelof was brought in to screw things up royally (my opinion...save your hate mail).

Now, unless FOX wishes to deny the existence of Prometheus, and start over...we are stuck with the fact that we need a franchise savior to write us out of the existing mess, and deliver a script worthy of the Alien franchise.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 30, 2013, 03:34:20 AM
Now, unless FOX wishes to deny the existence of Prometheus, and start over...we are stuck with the fact that we need a franchise savior to write us out of the existing mess, and deliver a script worthy of the Alien franchise.
The problem is that this movie isn't an Alien movie or within the franchise. It shares a continuity with the Alien universe, but it isn't an Alien movie.

So there isn't any mess to write out of, there's simply a story to continue making.

Deuterium

Fox and Scott both want it to be an "Alien" movie...except when they don't want it to be an "Alien" movie.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 30, 2013, 05:29:03 AM
Fox and Scott both want it to be an "Alien" movie...except when they don't want it to be an "Alien" movie.
Ha. I suppose that's true though. I guess I just picked one side of the fence since flipflopping is annoying, so in my eyes it isn't an Alien movie.

I think the real question is weather they want the sequel to be an Alien movie or not. Scott has said this will be its own thing and branch off in other directions, but I wonder where these directions will go. I mean, is it possible the Prometheus 2 won't even be a horror film but something else?

TheChazmoch

Prometheus 2 shouldn't be limited to just a horror movie. It should be about exploration and discovery -- every side of it. The mystery, the excitement, the terror, the wonder, the horror; it should all be in there.

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 30, 2013, 03:34:20 AM

Well...this automatically gets my vote of confidence.   ::)

I don't know how much cheaper you can get than a non-Hollywood, unpublished screenwriter (Spaihts).  Of course, in that case, it might have actually turned out somewhat okay.  Unfortunately, Lindelof was brought in to screw things up royally (my opinion...save your hate mail).

When i said cheapest version i meant the movie, not how much they pay the screenwriter.
When a writer pitches an idea the idea itself has some sort of proposed budget suggested.
For example; if you write a scene where there is some sort of Jock war with thousands of Jocks and there are some Jock Tanks, and Jock Walkers, and Jock battle ship, etc, etc. That gets looked at and a price get dropped on how much it would take to shoot a scene. If it's too much then that scene would get rewritten in a way that is cheaper to film and so on.

So i think they are going through a whole mess of a writers because they are looking for a story that looks to be the cheapest movie to produce. Because i hardly think that people are afraid to get their hands into an alien flick, no matter how crazy this turned out, and the movie studio has to now look through edges of screenwriterdom to look for people who would want to write a sequel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed