Why the bio-mechanical elements in Giger's design?

Started by zasz, Mar 26, 2013, 09:30:45 PM

Author
Why the bio-mechanical elements in Giger's design? (Read 1,436 times)

zasz

zasz

So it's pretty well known that the Alien design has a lot of sexual subtext. But what about the bio-mechanical elements that also seem to be pretty important to the design? Do they represent anything? What could they represent?

Fear that machines will replace man? Fear of alienation originating from the industrial age and Taylorism? Or just something that looked nice for the design?

Edit: I've got a more elaborate theory now, but it has more to do with the movies than the original design.

The mechanical parts allude to machines, of course. When machines were introduced into the economy, factory owners (the "capitalists") became obsessed with efficiency. Workers had specialized tasks, so they mechanically performed the same actions all day long, exactly as the machines did. Chaplin made a movie about this, with imagery of a flock of sheep in the opening sequence interwoven with imagery of a group of workers going to work in the morning.

How does this connect to Aliens? I assume that as the "perfect organisms" they are extremely efficient. More importantly, they seem to have a hive mind. Which corresponds to the sheep imagery. It is about the fear of a loss of humanity and individuality, becoming like mindless machines, thus "alienation". It even has the word right there.

Then there's Weyland-Yutani, the big corporation that's the true culprit. What do we resent most of big corporations today? Treating people like machines, or mindless sheep.

Reading too much into things is a lot easier than I used to think...

LarsVader

Why do you separate the sexual "subtext" from the biomechanical?

zasz

Does the biomechanical have sexual subtext?

Xenomrph

Quote from: zasz on Mar 26, 2013, 11:12:14 PM
Well it can, depending on how you want to look at it. :P

The biological and mechanical are inextricably linked in Giger's art, so if he's sexualizing the artwork, he's inherently sexualizing both the biological AND the mechanical since you can't separate the two.

LarsVader

Common... 

zasz

zasz

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 27, 2013, 01:01:39 AM
Well it can, depending on how you want to look at it. :P

The biological and mechanical are inextricably linked in Giger's art, so if he's sexualizing the artwork, he's inherently sexualizing both the biological AND the mechanical since you can't separate the two.

So I just realized that the bio-mechanical look is just his style. Still, what you said is too much like art theory for me to understand, lol. I understand all the words, but I just can't sense make of the whole. I don't see how the mechanical contributes to, or adds to the sexualization.

Bio-mechanical being his style, it would indicate that it's not part of the design only because of something that's specific to that particular design. (unless sexualization is also part of his style and not just a favored subject)

Quote from: LarsVader on Mar 27, 2013, 01:33:18 AM
Common... 

http://wiki.mcneel.com/_media/piston.gif
Lol

Valaquen

Pick up one of Giger's art books and you'll have your answer regarding his fascination with the bio and the mechanical.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

In-film I always thought they were engineered to blend within artificial environments, explaining both their appearence and the hive's -- similar to the walls of the Derelict.

An engineered camouflage, so to speak.

zasz

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 27, 2013, 11:12:12 AM
Pick up one of Giger's art books and you'll have your answer regarding his fascination with the bio and the mechanical.

You mean, that he is fascinated by those, or something else? I've never been good at guessing the thoughts behind the art, so humor me...

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 27, 2013, 01:34:32 PM
In-film I always thought they were engineered to blend within artificial environments, explaining both their appearence and the hive's -- similar to the walls of the Derelict.

An engineered camouflage, so to speak.

That would be interesting, taking on both traits of the hosts and the environment. Would they blend in natural environments too?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Obviously not.

Pretty much I think they have the same link with mechanical environments as Extatosoma tiaratum (dry leaf bug) has with a dry leaf.

zasz

Oh, wait, for some reason I thought you meant adaption, lol.

Dustfinger

Quote from: zasz on Mar 27, 2013, 05:38:15 PM

You mean, that he is fascinated by those, or something else? I've never been good at guessing the thoughts behind the art, so humor me...

google his work.  The great majority of it is bio-mechanical and sexualized.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed