Alien Woman: The Making of Lt. Ellen Ripley

Started by Bishop2, Aug 29, 2007, 02:13:17 PM

Author
Alien Woman: The Making of Lt. Ellen Ripley (Read 3,874 times)

Bishop2

If you're not interested in intense film analysis for symbolism and larger themes, boy, have I got a book that's NOT for you.  The people who are still intrigued by reading a work that explores Ripley as a feminist icon and how the imagery of the films evolved along with her, though?  I can't imagine it's gonna get much better than this.

Unlike some film analysis books I've read, this one completely avoids any personal opinions from the authors.  There are no reviews here, just straight-up looks at the characters and scenes of Alien up through Resurrection.  Some of the stuff is obvious: Everybody knows the facehugger is basically an equal-opportunity rape machine, and that aliens have oddly phallic heads.  Other stuff is less so.  Is Ash, as a robot, essentially a eunuch?  Does him trying to cram a rolled-up magazine down Ripley's throat basically amount to his own wack form of rape?  And so on.

Some of the best stuff comes in the Resurrection chapter with the discussion of the relationship with both Call and the Newborn to the newer, more brutal Ripley.  And to be fair, some of the stuff they say is just ridiculously over the top.  I think they've got an 80/20 ratio of making sense, but for example... in the first introductory chapter, they try to explain why putting a woman in the lead was so new for sci-fi.  And in the process, they suggest that the first Star Wars was actually an assault on the feminine, because the X-Wings represented sperm that were trying to destroy a gigantic ova (Death Star).  And I'm sorry, that's some f**king inane shit.

But as I said, mostly it's not too laughable.  It is, however, VERY self-serious.  I had to step away from it a few times just because this is so intensive and there's very little humor to what they're trying to do here.  This shit is for serious.  It's intriguing though, if you dig on film analysis, particularly the symbolic.  Double points if you're a huge fan of Ripley's character evolution throughout the series.

Uncanny Antman

I'd say 60/40, but other than that, you and I are on the same page when it comes to this book.

Mine had a different cover though.  :)

The Ultimate Predator

Looks very interesting. Is it true this was the first sci fi film with a women in the main lead? Its quite interesting. I do find some of the over-ridiculous stuff funny. If they look that deeply what do they think of Ripley fighting the Queen? Woman vs woman? But if anything reminds them of rape, whats that meant to symbolize?

Corporal Hicks

Pretty much spawned the heroine role, didn't it? Females were mostly either damsels in distress or evil chicks plotting over men.

CelticP

Halloween.

Uncanny Antman

Laurie Strode is the epitome of damsel-in-distress, so I dunno why you'd bring her up, unless it was to illustrate the opposite of Ripley.

Bishop2

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 01, 2007, 04:33:10 PM
Laurie Strode is the epitome of damsel-in-distress, so I dunno why you'd bring her up, unless it was to illustrate the opposite of Ripley.

Well, she did do a good job of keeping the kids safe, and she managed to seeming "kill" the assailant twice with sundry weapons - knitting needle, straightened hangar, butcher knife.  She was fairly industrious.

On the other hand, she spent the entire duration of the confrontation screaming and crying and whimpering while she did those things.

Uncanny Antman

It's true, she did manage to ward off The Shape for a time, but she was always passive.  She only acted when left with absolutely no choice.  Her two main functions in the climax of the film seemed to be crying, and surviving long enough for Loomis to save her.

Mike’s Monsters

This book sounds interesting. I always like these kinda books... How long has it been out now?

Bishop2

Quote from: Mikey on Sep 02, 2007, 02:54:08 AM
This book sounds interesting. I always like these kinda books... How long has it been out now?

The copyright date says 3 years.

gameoverman

I wouldn't call Ripley a feminist icon by any stretch.  They make her tough, but she still has that mother role and when it's taken away in Alien 3 they kill her.  :P 

In Alien Resurrection she's just a freak and has that weird thing with the Newborn.  :P

You want a real tough bitch try Vasquez.  :P

Bishop2

Quote from: gameoverman on Sep 02, 2007, 05:42:02 AM
I wouldn't call Ripley a feminist icon by any stretch.  They make her tough, but she still has that mother role and when it's taken away in Alien 3 they kill her.  :P 

In Alien Resurrection she's just a freak and has that weird thing with the Newborn.  :P

You want a real tough bitch try Vasquez.  :P

It depends on how you define "feminist."  Ripley is a strong individual who takes control but retains her femininity, including the maternal instinct - even in Resurrection.  Vasquez on the other hand has probably been "mistaken for a man."  ;)

arachnophilia

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 29, 2007, 02:13:17 PM
If you're not interested in intense film analysis for symbolism and larger themes, boy, have I got a book that's NOT for you.  The people who are still intrigued by reading a work that explores Ripley as a feminist icon and how the imagery of the films evolved along with her, though?  I can't imagine it's gonna get much better than this.

i wanted to STAB the person who wrote the last feminist literary criticism of alien that i read. seriously, it was in a textbook for class, and it was such an atrocity i THREW OUT the book.

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 29, 2007, 02:13:17 PMUnlike some film analysis books I've read, this one completely avoids any personal opinions from the authors.  There are no reviews here, just straight-up looks at the characters and scenes of Alien up through Resurrection.  Some of the stuff is obvious: Everybody knows the facehugger is basically an equal-opportunity rape machine, and that aliens have oddly phallic heads.  Other stuff is less so.  Is Ash, as a robot, essentially a eunuch?  Does him trying to cram a rolled-up magazine down Ripley's throat basically amount to his own wack form of rape?  And so on.

yes, that sort of dreck. and aliens are male because they impregnate people, and the whole concept is that the male crew members are emasculated and turned into women, and that men are by definition alien to females, so for something to be alien to the human race it has to be "hypermasculine."

nevermind that it's the FEMALE wasp that lays its eggs in spiders. or that the alien is just hyper-sexual period, and is designed to have a mix of masculine and feminine features. it's like they take what they want to see, run it through a bunch of stereotypes, and pretend this crap's serious. and this "women = victim of a man's penis; baby factory" idea can't be healthy for women. it's like a paranoid victim-complex; they're the ones enforcing the stereotypes.

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 29, 2007, 02:13:17 PMin the first introductory chapter, they try to explain why putting a woman in the lead was so new for sci-fi. 

that was the "unexpected twist." revolutionary in that it went against what people were expecting, not in that it was trying to be feminist.

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 29, 2007, 02:13:17 PMAnd in the process, they suggest that the first Star Wars was actually an assault on the feminine, because the X-Wings represented sperm that were trying to destroy a gigantic ova (Death Star).  And I'm sorry, that's some f**king inane shit.

yeah, that kind of garbage. i mentioned above something i needed for a textbook -- i was in a feminist perspective on science and technology (and sci-fi) class. sounded interesting, made me want to kill myself. my favourite story from the class involves me running the professor around in the circles for an hour over another hr giger creation: sil.

we watched species 2, arguably the second worst movie ever made, in class. it clearly demonstrates the "male as alien, turning women into baby-factories" idea. clearly, explicitly, violently. points all around, everyone agrees.

"wait" says i, "are we forgetting that this is a sequel? why not watch the first movie, which btw is a much, much better movie and that's not saying alot, where the alien is FEMALE, and runs around raping men for procreation?"

cue the double standards. post-modern academic femism (as opposed to the equal-rights bra-burning variety of yesteryear) is apparently about having your cake and eating it too. something can prove your point, but so can its exact opposite.

gameoverman

Quote from: arachnophilia on Sep 02, 2007, 07:13:24 AM"wait" says i, "are we forgetting that this is a sequel? why not watch the first movie, which btw is a much, much better movie and that's not saying alot, where the alien is FEMALE, and runs around raping men for procreation?"

No men were raped in that movie.  Violently killed, yes, but not raped.  :P

arachnophilia

Quote from: gameoverman on Sep 02, 2007, 08:39:38 AM
No men were raped in that movie.  Violently killed, yes, but not raped.  :P

lol, can't rape the willing i suppose?

well, "used and abused for procreation"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed