In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,417,557 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Well when they say it was an unlawful kill, I'm sure this refers to the rules of engagement as they are actually laws. Political correctness isn't laws. That's just "don't be dicks to other races/sexes/etc."

From what I understand - and remember my Army friends telling me - soldiers are supposed to shout warnings if they're opening fire first. They generally have to wait to be fired upon before being able to return fire. This is just a bastardisation of that rule - how the f**k is a sniper is supposed to operate like that, I don't know.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Well I had assumed snipers - much like special forces - are given some degree of leeway when it comes to RoE, simply because of how they operate. They are a very long way off, and the fact they have to be so precise often means you need to shoot first, before the enemy knows you're there.

What really confuses me is there was that guy a couple of years back who killed some jihadis from over a mile away, and by all accounts they were just sitting about doing nothing, yet no one questioned his actions then. There was also that SAS sniper more recently who killed three guys through a wall with a .50 cal from over a kilometre out, and again no one had any problems with that. By all accounts, the terrorists didn't see that one coming either.

So I really don't get why this particular incident is playing out the way it is. The man did his job and prevented a rocket attack.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I suspect we don't know the whole story here. As per usual.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 21, 2016, 10:20:54 AM
Well when they say it was an unlawful kill, I'm sure this refers to the rules of engagement as they are actually laws. Political correctness isn't laws. That's just "don't be dicks to other races/sexes/etc."

From what I understand - and remember my Army friends telling me - soldiers are supposed to shout warnings if they're opening fire first. They generally have to wait to be fired upon before being able to return fire. This is just a bastardisation of that rule - how the f**k is a sniper is supposed to operate like that, I don't know.

"YOOO, I'm on the tenth floor in a building half a mile to your east! I got you in my sights! No, I'm not giving away my position, this is just a friendly warning to my enemies!"

You're right, Hicks, it is a bastardization of the rule. Snipers are meant to be silent. And from the distances involved, how the hell is he meant to shout a warning coherently anyway? Send smoke signals?

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 21, 2016, 10:20:54 AM

In northern Ireland they had to shout warnings(they called it rules from the yellow book)thats stupid because your in a f**king riot.Snipers however should be different they are normally in a distance unless somehow the guy was to close.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Northern Ireland was very different though. As bas as it got, it was never Iraq. You didn't see many Provos shooting off RPGs on a daily basis.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 21, 2016, 03:58:18 PM
Northern Ireland was very different though. As bas as it got, it was never Iraq. You didn't see many Provos shooting off RPGs on a daily basis.
True but there were a LOT of riots.What Provos use to do is during a riot they would make the crowd clear then fire a shot then run.Also theu used Traps and Back shots a lot more so the Army was always on edge.(What pussies in my opinion)

Hubbs

Hubbs

I'm sorry but how in God's name is shouting a warning to the enemy that your're about to fire, gonna win you a conflict. Hey...umm, excuse me, I don't suppose you could just acknowledge me here before I shoot you? Ah yes thank you very much old chap, now hold still please.

Its like something out of Monty Python  ???   ::)

I find the entire thing pretty disgusting because its almost as if our own people care more about the enemy than are actual soldiers fighting a war to protect them! I also find it PC because this is exactly the kind of crap that happens these days, its all basically human rights nonsense by righteous groups that seem to think these rights solely belong to the opposite side (at least so they can make some money off it). Sure I don't know the exact details but the fact this sniper stopped the enemy from firing onto a UK base shows how little they care about UK troops, and much they care about the enemy, probably because they think they're all refugees or whatever  ::)

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 21, 2016, 04:36:15 PM
I'm sorry but how in God's name is shouting a warning to the enemy that your're about to fire, gonna win you a conflict. Hey...umm, excuse me, I don't suppose you could just acknowledge me here before I shoot you? Ah yes thank you very much old chap, now hold still please.

Its like something out of Monty Python  ???   ::)

I find the entire thing pretty disgusting because its almost as if our own people care more about the enemy than are actual soldiers fighting a war to protect them! I also find it PC because this is exactly the kind of crap that happens these days, its all basically human rights nonsense by righteous groups that seem to think these rights solely belong to the opposite side (at least so they can make some money off it). Sure I don't know the exact details but the fact this sniper stopped the enemy from firing onto a UK base shows how little they care about UK troops, and much they care about the enemy, probably because they think they're all refugees or whatever  ::)
Agree with you(apart from the refugee bit)British army are too lenient while the IDF is to brutal there has to be a limit,there should be a way of dealing with the enemy i mean look at northern Ireland South Armagh was bandit country for 30 years.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Its like they're saying he should have thrown a can attached to a string to the guy before he shot him

Hubbs

Hubbs

Its sick, in a way these groups are almost saying, if you die in battle, its actually a lot more PC for everyone involved and helps us. If you come back alive then you might have done something underhanded to do so, so we might have to investigate you. So, it looks better for you if you get killed in battle cos then we're sure you probably haven't done anything wrong.

Of course I'm going to the extreme but it does kinda sound that way from a certain angle.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't think you understand what PC is.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2016, 02:23:41 PM
I don't think you understand what PC is.
In a way he is right though about political correctness getting into war, the amount of shit people get into with today's conflicts for doing their job is horrible. There shouldn't even be an investigation when it comes to this guy, he killed an enemy combatant that was armed with an IED, fair game in my book. This reminds me of that one Canadian forces member who went up to a taliban fighter who was blown in half by an airstrike, was being kicked by ANA fighters, and put a bullet in him to put him out of his misery. Guy comes home and gets dishonorably discharged.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Feel free to give me specifics but that doesn't seem to relate to political correctness. This seems to be related to things like the rules of engagement, human rights and humanitarianism rather than political correctness. I'm not saying I agree with it - the opposite in fact, the RoE are too stringent IMHO and I'm sure there's more to the story than we know - but I do think the term PC is being used incorrectly and often incorrectly.

Hubbs like to throw it around in quite a negative manner that often seems incorrectly used. And I'm sure misuse of the concept does get in the way of a lot of things. At the end of the day, it just boils down to don't be a dick.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2016, 03:16:44 PM
Feel free to give me specifics but that doesn't seem to relate to political correctness. This seems to be related to things like the rules of engagement, human rights and humanitarianism rather than political correctness. I'm not saying I agree with it - the opposite in fact, the RoE are too stringent IMHO and I'm sure there's more to the story than we know - but I do think the term PC is being used incorrectly and often incorrectly.

Hubbs like to throw it around in quite a negative manner that often seems incorrectly used. And I'm sure misuse of the concept does get in the way of a lot of things. At the end of the day, it just boils down to don't be a dick.
Lets talk about something else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed