In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,417,589 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 02:17:15 AM
Ye olde "BUT THEY'RE DOING IT TOO!!!!!" argument as if that all makes it better.

That aside, I've really tried to read Jessica Valenti's stuff on the Guardian, but she continually comes across as one of the aforementioned group of disproportionate complainers.  Not that there's nothing to complain about - there generally is - but she just goes over the top.  Even a lot of the traditional Guardian readership who'd be completely sympathetic with her views find it hard due to poor writing or research, or just her general over-the-topness.

She's a tumblrite with a louder voice. She's hardly a "journalist", even if she works for the Guardian.

SM

SM

Didn't say she was a journalist.  In inverted commas or otherwise.

As if it actually mattered.

Sabby

Sabby

Wait, why isn't she a journalist? We can discuss the quality (or lack there of) of her work all day, but doesn't working for a publication make you a journalist?

I have noticed the word is losing utility over the last few years, so I'm not even certain of it's correct definition or it's common use.

SM

SM

She's a writer, but personally I would define a journalist as someone who has at least trained (if not qualified) in journalism.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 02:17:15 AM
Ye olde "BUT THEY'RE DOING IT TOO!!!!!" argument as if that all makes it better.

That aside, I've really tried to read Jessica Valenti's stuff on the Guardian, but she continually comes across as one of the aforementioned group of disproportionate complainers.  Not that there's nothing to complain about - there generally is - but she just goes over the top.  Even a lot of the traditional Guardian readership who'd be completely sympathetic with her views find it hard due to poor writing or research, or just her general over-the-topness.

As usual...lets just let the PC brigade dominate our lives with their petty sh*t. Are you SURE you don't live in the UK? you'd love it here  ::)

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 19, 2014, 09:52:12 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 19, 2014, 09:24:36 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 19, 2014, 11:33:25 AM
I completely agree. There's too much concern over what group will dislike what. I, personally, think people look for offence.

Indeed.

Which is why we have people to manage brand and image - and have had for a very long time.  You can't stop people arcing up online, so your best course is to give them as little as possible to arc up about.  If he hadn't worn the dumb shirt, people wouldn't have had anything to crack the shits about. And other parties would've had to have found another target for their threats of death and rape.

So why take the steps to stop something you admit will always happen. Don't you think maybe catering to these people as a routine hands them the power?

Precisely.

Oh and that shirt was designed by a woman lol  ::)
Glad to hear the shirt is selling big time  ;D

Source...
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/392929/shirtgate-and-common-decency-jonah-goldberg

Topazora

Topazora

Goodnight Philae Lander, hope you get some sun soon!

SM

SM

QuoteAs usual...lets just let the PC brigade dominate our lives with their petty sh*t. Are you SURE you don't live in the UK? you'd love it here

As usual... you utterly fail to grasp anything resembling the actual point that's being discussed.
And if I'm politically correct - I'm still correct.

QuotePrecisely.

Case in point.

:laugh:

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 04:49:49 AM
QuoteAs usual...lets just let the PC brigade dominate our lives with their petty sh*t. Are you SURE you don't live in the UK? you'd love it here

As usual... you utterly fail to grasp anything resembling the actual point that's being discussed.
And if I'm politically correct - I'm still correct.

QuotePrecisely.

Case in point.

:laugh:

::) And your point is a man shouldn't wear a shirt with cartoon images of semi naked women to an interview because its unprofessional and should know better. Point taken, my point...who gives a sh*t. The fact you even question his choice of attire or suggest its unprofessional puts you in the same camp as the PC brigade. Why? because it doesn't matter, his job doesn't require a suit and tie, it doesn't matter at all. On top of that they are cartoon images, you can hardly make them out much and it was designed by his female friend! Oh and it doesn't matter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11232986/Matt-Taylors-sexist-shirt-and-the-day-political-correctness-officially-went-mad.html

No...no you're not, depends on the politics.

SM

SM

QuoteAnd your point is a man shouldn't wear a shirt with cartoon images of semi naked women to an interview because its unprofessional and should know better. Point taken, my point...who gives a sh*t.

If no one gave a shit - this discussion wouldn't have been going on over the last few pages.  A discussion that you've finally caught up with and are now contributing to.  I know it's hard but do try and keep up.

Quotehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11232986/Matt-Taylors-sexist-shirt-and-the-day-political-correctness-officially-went-mad.html

No...no you're not

lolhubbs

A right wing newspaper lectures about "political correctness gone mad".   :laugh: You know that have that rubbish sitting there as a template and just copy and paste the names in, right?

I've already called the reaction to this guy disproportionate.  If you could only grasp that the world isn't black and white and that there's a whole range of opinions and ideas that sit between "PC" and "Miserable Hate-filled Racist Pretend Movie Critic".

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 05:36:35 AM
QuoteAnd your point is a man shouldn't wear a shirt with cartoon images of semi naked women to an interview because its unprofessional and should know better. Point taken, my point...who gives a sh*t.

If no one gave a shit - this discussion wouldn't have been going on over the last few pages.  A discussion that you've finally caught up with and are now contributing to.  I know it's hard but do try and keep up.

Quotehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11232986/Matt-Taylors-sexist-shirt-and-the-day-political-correctness-officially-went-mad.html

No...no you're not

lolhubbs

A right wing newspaper lectures about "political correctness gone mad".   :laugh: You know that have that rubbish sitting there as a template and just copy and paste the names in, right?

I've already called the reaction to this guy disproportionate.  If you could only grasp that the world isn't black and white and that there's a whole range of opinions and ideas that sit between "PC" and "Miserable Hate-filled Racist Pretend Movie Critic".

Errr no, your extreme lefty ideas are kicking in too high here. The Telegraph (media group) is a major British newspaper that I suppose would be deemed a Tory paper.

But you defend the reaction to a degree.

SM

SM

Nope.

I just said that internet over-reaction is inevitable, and anyone who is surprised by this is fooling themselves or an idiot.

Next week, it'll be something else.

And you do know Tory=right wing, correct?

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 06:06:06 AM
Nope.

I just said that internet over-reaction is inevitable, and anyone who is surprised by this is fooling themselves or an idiot.

Next week, it'll be something else.

And you do know Tory=right wing, correct?

Well that's what Labour would like most to think (for obvious reasons) but no, we're in the EU remember, no chance.

SM

SM

No - it's common knowledge that Labour = left and Conservatives = right, at their core.  Maybe the Tories are more centre than you'd like - but that just means they're centre right.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Sagittarius on Nov 20, 2014, 04:35:54 AM
Goodnight Philae Lander, hope you get some sun soon!

What a time we live in. I wonder when we'll send people to Mars.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's New Horizons we need to be looking forward to next. That'll be another major first for us.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed