In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,418,073 times)

SM

SM

Never ceases to amaze me how unbelievably vast space is.  When you think Pluto is about 40 AU, then you have Kuiper Belts, Heliopauses, and then maybe one day in the distant future you might reach the Oort Cloud and finally leave the Solar System.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: SM on Jun 28, 2013, 06:13:47 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how unbelievably vast space is.  When you think Pluto is about 40 AU, then you have Kuiper Belts, Heliopauses, and then maybe one day in the distant future you might reach the Oort Cloud and finally leave the Solar System.

What's the general consensus of when humans could possibily venture out of the solar system? I mean in the span of 100 years we've only been able to get off the planet and go to the moon. Surely another 100 years should mean we could be have a Mars colony and add another 100 years I'd say we would have a outpost on the edges of our solar system.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T1LO6nOUdw#ws

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 28, 2013, 05:26:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T1LO6nOUdw#ws
Wow, it really puts things in perspective doesn't it?

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jun 28, 2013, 01:18:23 PM
What's the general consensus of when humans could possibily venture out of the solar system? I mean in the span of 100 years we've only been able to get off the planet and go to the moon. Surely another 100 years should mean we could be have a Mars colony and add another 100 years I'd say we would have a outpost on the edges of our solar system.
Took us more like 200 000 years to get to the moon!  ;)

As the Voyager 1 demonstrates, it's possible to leave (or at least reach the edge of) the solar system if you've got about 35 years to spare but where do you go from there? It's still a very long hike to the next star.

The Mars One project aims to establish a permanent colony on Mars by the year 2023 (ten years from now). It's privately funded and aims to raise most of the cash required through corporate sponsorship and "reality TV". Many experts including NASA consider it to be a pipe dream though.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Just about the only reality TV show I'd genuinely look forward to watching!

SM

SM

Nah - Real Housewives of Olympus Mons.

QuoteAs the Voyager 1 demonstrates, it's possible to leave (or at least reach the edge of) the solar system if you've got about 35 years to spare but where do you go from there? It's still a very long hike to the next star.

It's a good 20000+ years to clear the Oort Cloud, never mind 35.

Effectz

Effectz

On the subject of the universe and how awesomely mind-boggling it is,do any of you guys like Brian Cox?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjuIoCorTE

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Effectz on Jun 28, 2013, 10:44:47 PM
On the subject of the universe and how awesomely mind-boggling it is,do any of you guys like Brian Cox?

Actor? Hell yes. Professor? Not really, I find him very irritating.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SM on Jun 28, 2013, 10:40:36 PM
QuoteAs the Voyager 1 demonstrates, it's possible to leave (or at least reach the edge of) the solar system if you've got about 35 years to spare but where do you go from there? It's still a very long hike to the next star.

Depends on how you define the the edge of the solar system - is it the Heliopause or the Oort cloud? The Oort cloud is still loosely influenced by the Sun's gravity but it's already deep in interstellar space.

Even NASA is not always sure what to say in their press releases:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/voyager-1-leaving-solar-system/

We can at least be certain that it has left the inner Solar system.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: ST on Jun 29, 2013, 12:29:43 PM
Quote from: SM on Jun 28, 2013, 10:40:36 PM

Depends on how you define the the edge of the solar system - is it the Heliopause or the Oort cloud? The Oort cloud is still loosely influenced by the Sun's gravity but it's already deep in interstellar space.

Even NASA is not always sure what to say in their press releases:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/voyager-1-leaving-solar-system/

We can at least be certain that it has left the inner Solar system.

Honestly we don't know much about the edge of our solar system currently. Voyager 1 has been making ground breaking discoveries recently, it would seem. I can't wait to learn more.

Aspie

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

LMAO

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

That right there is some good news.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Aspie on Jun 29, 2013, 11:57:55 PM
YES. TEXAS NEEDS ONE.
The state government would drop bombs on it.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 30, 2013, 12:37:55 AM
Quote from: Aspie on Jun 29, 2013, 11:57:55 PM
YES. TEXAS NEEDS ONE.
The state government would drop bombs on it.

...yeah. They really would. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed