Alien3 redux with CGI aliens

Started by acrediblesource, Nov 19, 2012, 03:26:07 AM

Author
Alien3 redux with CGI aliens (Read 8,090 times)

acrediblesource

OK, i don't believe this has been discussed in this forum but i did find something from Prometheus forum here
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/community/forums/topic/4883

I was wondering if any one here would like to add to this discussion about a redo petition to REDO Alien3 "alien puppet" scenes in cgi and completely remaster the scenes in bluray.
Reason?
1. bluray REALLY shows the discolouration and inconsistencies in the layering of the alien in most of the puppet shots.
2. A CGI alien could faithfully recreate the puppeteers actions so there wouldn't be much debate on animation changes, they were perfect if not for the lousy compositing job.
3. After seeing what was done in Prometheus, between the Hammerpede scene puppet/CGI mix, I was astounded by the seamlessness of it all. CGI engineers would be able to easily recreate lighting and atmospheric effects around the alien to make it look like it was part of the original film.

I always thought that Alien3 captured the weight, speed and height of the Alien runner perfectly running around in the most complimentative environment the alien could possibly be in. It would be ashame to have some shots stand out like a sore thumb especially in the bluray releases.
George lucas fixed his so this process is proven.

Lets here your thoughts huh?

SM

SM

It's always really stood out - the format is neither here nor there.

I think Fox has spent as much as it's going to spend on Alien3 creating CG ox bursters and doing ADR.

But I've been wrong before.

LarsVader

LarsVader

This took me like two minutes:

It's just filtering, no painting; ergo easily employable to moving HD footage.
Didn't really put a lot of effort to it.
I think I could do this given some software like after affects or some other grading tool, a huge harddisc and the original footage.
And I'd probably be much less expensive.  :P

I never understood why this has never been fixed, since it seems so easy to me.
And it wouldn't be GeorgeLucas'sising IMO, since it's basically just color grading.

Valaquen

Valaquen

The puppet looks great, but is at the same time a bloody eye sore. Don't know why they didn't fix it; after all they fixed the audio (which actually never seemed bad in my UK copy...) and put in a CG bambi-burster. I don't think they'll go back to it again, though. Maybe for the 3D release :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

They will never put that much money to make ex novo CG shots for every single sequence featuring the rod puppet.
It would be easier, but still too expensive, to fix the composition.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 19, 2012, 03:54:57 AM

I think I could do this given some software like after affects or some other grading tool, a huge harddisc and the original footage.

And it wouldn't be GeorgeLucas'sising IMO, since it's basically just color grading.
It's more than just the coloring- the sharpness is a huge contrast to the rest of the image.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Quote from: Alienseseses on Nov 19, 2012, 11:51:09 AM

It's more than just the coloring- the sharpness is a huge contrast to the rest of the image.

Lighting plays a huge role in making it believable. Remembe this in CG practices: The very spot in which the character is suppose to be in has a particular set of lighting and radiance. Everything from the reflections off the wall color, reflections from the lights and flares, bouncing light off dust in front of the character, all place an important part of the dynamics of colour on the Alien's body. They couldn't  get that from filming a rod puppet in a clear dark room, against a green screen. They never thought about that at the time. Hence the very 2D looking shadows.

Note on the picture in the OP:
What will work in one frame won't necessarily work with the others (but i know the cuts are quick to even notice)
(LEFT)There are also the environment itself  which need  reflections of the alien. 
(RIGHT) The entire floor looks like a separate layer from the walls as the hue/saturation/contrast/depth of field levels are completely different.

LarsVader

LarsVader

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 19, 2012, 01:53:39 PM
Quote from: Alienseseses on Nov 19, 2012, 11:51:09 AM

Lighting plays a huge role in making it believable. Remembe this in CG practices: The very spot in which the character is suppose to be in has a particular set of lighting and radiance. Everything from the reflections off the wall color, reflections from the lights and flares, bouncing light off dust in front of the character, all place an important part of the dynamics of colour on the Alien's body. They couldn't  get that from filming a rod puppet in a clear dark room, against a green screen. They never thought about that at the time. Hence the very 2D looking shadows.

Note on the picture in the OP:
What will work in one frame won't necessarily work with the others (but i know the cuts are quick to even notice)
(LEFT)There are also the environment itself  which need  reflections of the alien. 
(RIGHT) The entire floor looks like a separate layer from the walls as the hue/saturation/contrast/depth of field levels are completely different.
I was just talking about colors/contrast obviously. (Which I think is the most irritating thing that should be fixed first.)

Fixing sharpness/d.o.f. is a tad more difficult but not impossible.

And sure every framing has to be treated each for itself. And some masking would have to be done. And maybe even some slight frame by frame roto.

But replacing the runner itself or rendering new shadow/lighting would probably a too expensive job for Fox to be willing to spend money on.
And I as a fan am not sure if I would want that much tempering with the movie.

SM

SM

Which one is the before and which one is after?

LarsVader

LarsVader

Quote from: SM on Nov 19, 2012, 10:16:21 PM

Which one is the before and which one is after?
I tuned down the green hue in the shadows of the runner.
top=original
bottom=edit

SM

SM

Can't tell the difference.

There's still an unrealistic blobby looking shadow on the ceiling that should have much sharper edges.

Simply tweaking the colours a bit isn't going to fix anything.

LarsVader

LarsVader

The greenish hue is what annoyed me the most (besides the whole theatrical cut).
Fixing more than that would be a major ordeal. And I guess re-compositing is not an option after all these years.

But I agree that the whole thing doesn't look that well nowadays.
But also I am not much a fan of pulling a George Lucas.
Color grading, dust/scratch removal, mat-line/wire removal and maybe re-compositing is restoration to me.
Replacing/adding/removing mayor elements is "special edition"-ising to me.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Let's remake the whole movie.

SM

SM

Off you go then.

LarsVader

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed