Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2

Started by zuzuki, Oct 12, 2012, 06:12:16 AM

Author
Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2 (Read 26,985 times)

SM

SM

If you can score a bit better quality copy of this image, you can see a thin crescent of the moon at the far right of frame.  It's the same plate used over and over (and again on the surface where it's flipped I dopn't recall if the Blu Ray makes all three moons visible in the sky, thus meaning, there are four moons circling the gas giant).

In regards to it being Zeta 2 Reticuli - that may have been what was intended, but personally the jury's out whether it's a legit part of the film.  Too many astronomical issues.

If the sequel confirms it either way then so be it.

whiterabbit

Well if it is a story about creation I don't see why LV-426 itself couldn't be created.

I know how stupid that sounds, however it is a tiny planet and could perhaps have been missed even by future planetary exploration techniques so no one really thinks of it as being odd when it is found and labeled. Such as being hidden behind the planet. So having a planet named LV-223 and LV-426 in the same planetary system wouldn't be that strange.

marrerom

marrerom

check this out:

Judging by this there are only two moons in orbit around the planet. So perhaps what we saw in Alien was a passing planetary body that wasn't in orbit around the planet but instead was just passing through the system?

SM

SM

Again, this assumes it's the same planet.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I still don't think we are going to see a sequel anytime soon with a possible Blade Runner 2 coming out soon. A Prometheus sequel might not happen until after 2015. I wonder if anyone will care by then?

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Oct 25, 2012, 03:31:59 AM
God does his work in mysterious ways. Hey I'm liking this religious stuff, just say god did it and it's instant canon.  :laugh:

RagingDragon

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 25, 2012, 06:39:04 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 25, 2012, 03:31:59 AM
God does his work in mysterious ways. Hey I'm liking this religious stuff, just say god did it and it's instant canon.  :laugh:
Oh Sna-

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Oct 25, 2012, 04:38:12 AM
I still don't think we are going to see a sequel anytime soon with a possible Blade Runner 2 coming out soon. A Prometheus sequel might not happen until after 2015. I wonder if anyone will care by then?
They will either go into pre-production early 2013 or it won't happen. Sequels such as this only have a short shelf life before even those you liked the first lose interest (and that invariably means less box office - unless it's something like Star Wars or James Bond where you can re-boot it after a longer wait). The studio knows this... If it's wait until 2015 for Ridley Scott or start production in 2013 with a new director - it will be the latter.

Eva

Eva

Ridley said some fun stuff about where the film took place just prior to release. I honestly don't know if he was just having a bit of fun with fan expectations or if he was confused himself.

The fact remains that Prometheus tells us that they arrive at a planetary system roughly 3.27*10^14 km from Earth. That calculates to roughly 34.5 light years. Zeta 2 Reticuli is located 39.2 light years from Earth. So, going from what we are shown in the film, the system cannot possibly be Zeta 2 Reticuli. It's off the mark by 4.7 light years, which equates to about 3 months of travel time in The Prometheus.

Toy

Toy

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Oct 25, 2012, 04:38:12 AM

What if there is a plan to connect Bladerunner with Prometheus and there will be some cross-promotion and cross-pollination going on? Showing Fox how to properly weave a hybrid series together... to create a new hybrid series the old one first had to be destroyed. The head of the company replaced, like the head of the hammerpede that regrows..

What if the Weyland timeline is partially propaganda made to make Weyland look like the king/god of the Earth after the previous King, Tyrell, was killed?

What if young Peter Weyland shows up at the end of Bladerunner 2 to join the series together in a way that's more balanced and properly weaved together. In a way that AVP wasn't... making the Prometheus, Paradise, and Persephone movies a bridge between two series and not an end to either...

Eva

Eva

Blade Runner is a Warner Bros. property - not Fox, so I don't see that happening. I don't think it's 'required' either, for making a storyline centered around artificial humans, interesting.  :)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Eva on Oct 25, 2012, 12:57:58 PMIt's off the mark by 4.7 light years, which equates to about 3 months of travel time in The Prometheus.

Some of the 'supplementary' material suggests that they knew about the LV-426 signal before setting out. Makes you wonder why they didn't go there instead - at least they could of been more certain that there was something there rather than just going on the hunch of a nut job archaeologist who thinks that she has found god's homeland.

Maybe Weyland intended on going there after LV-223. Seems a long way to go and not say hi.

SM

SM

Quote from: Eva on Oct 25, 2012, 12:57:58 PM
Ridley said some fun stuff about where the film took place just prior to release. I honestly don't know if he was just having a bit of fun with fan expectations or if he was confused himself.

The fact remains that Prometheus tells us that they arrive at a planetary system roughly 3.27*10^14 km from Earth. That calculates to roughly 34.5 light years. Zeta 2 Reticuli is located 39.2 light years from Earth. So, going from what we are shown in the film, the system cannot possibly be Zeta 2 Reticuli. It's off the mark by 4.7 light years, which equates to about 3 months of travel time in The Prometheus.

I think this is the biggest issue.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Oct 25, 2012, 11:01:40 PM
Quote from: Eva on Oct 25, 2012, 12:57:58 PM

I think this is the biggest issue.

Hi Eva!

Well...it does depend on the degree of your suspension of disbelief.  If you accept FTL propulsion for the Prometheus, than anything is possible.  Unfortunately, this also raises the NOT INCONSEQUENTIAL problem of time-travel to a reference frame in the past...and all the potential paradoxes that would ensue.

However, if we limit the Prometheus to subluminal, yet relativistic travel (i.e., velocity at a high percentage of "c"), and using a quite reasonable assumption of 1g acceleration outbound, with a turn-around at mid-point, followed by deceleration at 1g, then here is the calculated time (proper-time, as perceived on-board the ship) versus the elapsed time on Earth:

Note that my calcs are based on General Relativity, and take into account the acceleration and deceleration maneuvers, versus a continous, constant speed (which is simply calculated based on the Lorentz equations of SR).  So, to reiterate, this is a much more "realistic" scenario.

Again, I accept if the Prometheus is using FTL (magic) propulsion, then the calcs do not apply.  However, without breaking the laws of Physics, the total ship-board travel time experienced  by the Prometheus crew would be 7.3 years, whereas as the Earth-based (inertial) observers would experience a total of 41.4 years elapsed time.

If we allow the Prometheus to accelerate and decelerate at greater than 1g, then both the proper-time (ship-time) as well as the Earth-based elapsed time would be reduced.

SM

SM

It's using FTL travel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed