Engineers and Space jockeys

Started by King, Sep 21, 2012, 12:19:02 PM

Author
Engineers and Space jockeys (Read 34,890 times)

thecaffeinatedone

I was one of the more nervous ones about how the Engineers would turn out. I liked 'em a lot in the movie, despite annoying size inconsistancy. The Deacon IMO was the worst creature in the movie, just completely unnecessary and I remember thinking, "Jester Alien? Oh Gods...why did you have to end the movie with that Ridley?", and just remember, I'm one of the one's who liked Prometheus.

King

King

I'm not saying i don't like Prometheus i actually like it a lot, and will most likely turn out to be a classic probably one day, it just the design of the engineer could have been ..well much more thought into even the suit concept it could have looked much more eerie inside , i wasnt very dissapointed with, could have been worse though, but then again it could have been better....

lol "Vin diesel" how true.

zuzuki

zuzuki

I didn't liked the fact that they made it look like rubber. I mean i know it is made from ruber or whatever material, but in the movie i was looking when the deacon bursts out at the end, and instead of those ribs looking like they are made of bone, they stretched exactly like rubber instead of breaking like a twig and have the bones crack with splinters and stuff

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I honestly still don't understand why Ridley Scott felt a burning desire to make them so human-looking. Would've much preferred it if the Space Jockey looked like it should do and, truthfully, the original scene still looks like fossilised bone, not just a suit.

Like I've said at the time of release, I'd prefer it if they made the suits to emulate the Space Jockeys as an expression of cultural worship, who happen to either be in charge or had originally made them, in turn.

For all we know, they could've been at war and those suits were meant to allow them to act as infiltrators.

Quote from: kittychu6 on Sep 22, 2012, 08:03:42 PM
they are human, but generations of space travel in low light, low gravity made them tall, with large dark eyes while the bioengineered suits gave them immense strength.

Low gravity should have made them relatively weak, but they're immensely muscular. Gravity wouldn't affect how tall a species evolves to, from what I know. But we've seen nothing to indicate they aren't able to replicate artificial gravity, either - and the ones we saw were all on a planet-bound facility, in any case.

King

King

it most definitely looks like a fossilized bone in alien,  in alien it was supposedly the first time humans came in contact with the thing, it was mysterious and eerie prometheus sort of removed that feel in a way

Kol

Kol

Quote from: King on Sep 23, 2012, 02:25:01 PM
it most definitely looks like a fossilized bone in alien,  in alien it was supposedly the first time humans came in contact with the thing, it was mysterious and eerie prometheus sort of removed that feel in a way

you're right, but i think every prequel of every franchise demystifies the former-, but story wise later movies.

although i like the engineers from prometheus and have more issues with the other creatures in that movie, the engineers are just retconning A L I E Ns space jockey.
would've love to see a total biomechanoid. hell, giger should've been the production designer (and general creature design) and not arthur max. than everybody would've loved that movie. no matter how the story ended up.

believe me.

Shadow

Shadow

I'm just thankfull the suits at least look as close as they did. think about it, some of the other concept art of the suits looked WAY LESS bio mech, and way more tech. and way..WAY more of from the original jockey. in compare, the current ones are pretty close and i'm accepting it. i'm thankfull they did not use some of the concept art and went with the closest thing at least.

and some original concept art from alien of the facehuggers had first of, very large huggers (im assuming this gave birth to the trilobite idea somewhat) and second of, a bald, pale and biomech-bodied human being facehugged. i can't see anything else than this being something that was part of the engineer design ideas.

these things makes me accept the engineers and the designs alot more than i otherwise would. i'm one of those who liked Prometheus, but i too wish some things where better. but i'm still glad it was not worse.

T Dog

T Dog

I'm just going to chime in and say that the final shot of the Engineer in the chair in Prometheus is an absolutely rubbish image.

Ah Prometheus, such a waste, such a shame, such a missed opportunity.

PG-13 fo evaaaaaaaaah.

Nightmare Asylum

But...it was R.

And rating should have no bearing on quality, unless the film is written with the intentions of getting a rating, which almost always ends badly. In a perfect world, the rating would simply just be a reflection of the film.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 23, 2012, 03:57:29 PM
But...it was R.

And rating should have no bearing on quality, unless the film is written with the intentions of getting a rating, which almost always ends badly. In a perfect world, the rating would simply just be a reflection of the film.

Ah c'mon. It was a 15's max. It's just for some reason in USA they don't have a rating to bridge the gaping age/muturity gap between the PG-13 and the R. Although R makes no sense to me since you can bring a 3 year old.

Anyway it was edited for the video game kids. The movie is edited so quickly, just as your eyes are adjusting to a shot, BAM, cut to another piece of coverage.

But of course I agree that the rating should have no bearing on the quality. HAve you seen Peter Weir's "The Mosquito Coast"? Good movie, pretty dark, PG.

Nightmare Asylum

Given that it got assigned an R, I'd say it was an R rated movie. And given that its an American movie, I think the American rating system would probably be the best one to go by for the film, flawed as it may be.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I just laugh at R rating = intense arguments. The Ring is a film that consistently scares me whenever I watch it -- and it's PG-13.

Nightmare Asylum

Agreed. While I haven't seen The Ring, there are plenty of intense PG-13 films. It sucks that a lot of film makers shoot with an R rating in mind as a way to 'please' the audience, when really, they should just make the film...

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

I will forever call the giant dead creature in Alien the Space Jockey.

Marlowe

Marlowe

I liked the idea around the engineers.The real look was for me one of the strong points of the movie.
When I saw Alien first time the only thing that scared me was the height of them.The appearence of the space jockey was very brutal in my opinion.
And in Prometheus we can see a sophisticated race.With the best of both worlds. Elegant , mysterious and scary at the same time with their suit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed