Prometheus : The Fan Edit?

Started by ThisBethesdaSea, Aug 11, 2012, 11:42:47 AM

Author
Prometheus : The Fan Edit? (Read 21,697 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I'd love to see someone re-edit Prometheus with some different music cues and see if the film can be made better. It would be an interesting project.

Highland

Highland

Thought the music was pretty good myself. The movie does not need cut up. It needs shit put in.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Highland on Aug 11, 2012, 01:32:36 PMThought the music was pretty good myself. The movie does not need cut up. It needs shit put in.

I reckon that there are a few music cues that could be improved upon (what the f**k is that SHIT IN MY EYE!)... dah dum!

I agree that the film is already cut to within an inch of its life, but a fan edit would still be fun to watch.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Aug 11, 2012, 11:42:47 AM
I'd love to see someone re-edit Prometheus with some different music cues and see if the film can be made better. It would be an interesting project.

Invariably fan edits are sh*te, because invariably fan edits are done by individuals with nothing better to do.

bov930527

bov930527

Quote from: Darth Vile on Aug 11, 2012, 01:50:02 PM

Invariably fan edits are sh*te, because invariably fan edits are done by individuals with nothing better to do.

I'd like to differ for the very same reason you mentioned. Sometimes fan edits are actually better, because fans are just simple folks and can experiment a lot. Meanwhile world-known movie directors have their respect and multi-million $ contracts on the line. There is a certain limit as to how much risk they are willing to take. Fans are anonymous people on the internet, they (we) don't need to worry about respect or money (which is also a bonus, since fans make stuff because they have passion for it, not because of money) and thus when experimenting I've seen people coming up with ideas worth hundreds of million $ in Hollywood. Off course, about 90% of fan-made stuff is in fact bullsh*t. But the remaining 10%, when good, are really good and make it worthwhile to standout with 90% of crap.

BANE

BANE

The problems aren't something you can fix with the existing material though. Sure, maybe fix the music in one or two scenes, but ultimately what has been cut (i.e what isn't available to fans, until October) is what needs to be reinserted to make this movie even better. 'Flesh out characters more' is the biggest goal.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: bov930527 on Aug 11, 2012, 01:58:03 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Aug 11, 2012, 01:50:02 PM

I'd like to differ for the very same reason you mentioned. Sometimes fan edits are actually better, because fans are just simple folks and can experiment a lot. Meanwhile world-known movie directors have their respect and multi-million $ contracts on the line. There is a certain limit as to how much risk they are willing to take. Fans are anonymous people on the internet, they (we) don't need to worry about respect or money (which is also a bonus, since fans make stuff because they have passion for it, not because of money) and thus when experimenting I've seen people coming up with ideas worth hundreds of million $ in Hollywood. Off course, about 90% of fan-made stuff is in fact bullsh*t. But the remaining 10%, when good, are really good and make it worthwhile to standout with 90% of crap.
The most high profile ones I've seen have been the Star Wars edits... and whilst technically ok - and clearly time and effort have been put in, they are nothing more than 'interesting' and a curio (IMHO). I'd be interested to know which you'd recommend though...

T Dog

T Dog

I mentioned in a different topic that I had considered doing an edit when the deleted scenes come out.

My intention was to alter the music and thus try and create a true mood and atmosphere. Not one that stops and starts constantly. I posted some Penderecki in a thread before the film came out, where we were talking about what we hoped the soundtrack would sound like.

Would also add/cut scenes. Such as the dream sequence, because that was bloody brutal.

Dunno when I'd have time to work on this though. I'm busy with other creative things.
Anyone have other ideas as to what they'd like to change/alter/cut/keep?

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

im going to edit it and add dialogue to make the scientist seem more like scientist.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 11, 2012, 08:04:12 PM
I mentioned in a different topic that I had considered doing an edit when the deleted scenes come out.

My intention was to alter the music and thus try and create a true mood and atmosphere. Not one that stops and starts constantly. I posted some Penderecki in a thread before the film came out, where we were talking about what we hoped the soundtrack would sound like.

Would also add/cut scenes. Such as the dream sequence, because that was bloody brutal.

Dunno when I'd have time to work on this though. I'm busy with other creative things.
Anyone have other ideas as to what they'd like to change/alter/cut/keep?
I think from a structural perspective... the best and most fundamental change/edit would be to reduce the amount of trips to the temple from 3 to 2... all though I'm pretty sure that's not feasible due to the differing elements involved. If that's not possible... perhaps cut the sequence with the David/star map sequence. That would at least save the reveal of that location/set to the more pertinent section i.e. the engineer's awakening scene.

A simpler improvement (requiring very little effort) would be to remove the Deacon segment... as I don't think that scene is needed. However, I'm not sure that deletion would improve the movie for those that don't like it.

SM

SM

QuoteSometimes fan edits are actually better, because fans are just simple folks and can experiment a lot.

Example?

bov930527

bov930527

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2012, 01:33:39 AM
QuoteSometimes fan edits are actually better, because fans are just simple folks and can experiment a lot.

Example?

There is a fan-edit of AvP I saw on the internet a couple of years back that was about 45 (maybe 50+, I don't really remember) minutes long and that I thought was actually better paced and kept my tension more than the original. However, it is the only fan-edit I've ever seen. I don't know where I found it or where it is right now, so unfortunately I can't provide any more info than that straight out of my memory. (I also think it was deleted due to copyright or some).

bleau

bleau

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2012, 01:33:39 AM

Example?

Army of darkness Primitive screwhead edition.  :)

Not that it is better, but the most complete version and it is way better imo than theatrical.

T Dog

T Dog

Hi, can anybody offer any advice on the first steps of how to actually go about this?

I know how to use editing software etc but how do I get all the scenes off the DVD, what kind of time would it take to rip all the scenes off the DVD. So my real question is, how long would the pre production (so to speak) take before I could actually get down to work on the edit?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 12, 2012, 05:37:24 PM
Hi, can anybody offer any advice on the first steps of how to actually go about this?

I know how to use editing software etc but how do I get all the scenes off the DVD, what kind of time would it take to rip all the scenes off the DVD. So my real question is, how long would the pre production (so to speak) take before I could actually get down to work on the edit?

It wouldn't take long at all. The only thing that would take time is deciding what you want to edit. You don't piece the movie  together bit by bit, you leave it as it is then trim what you don't want or shuffle a scene to a different point in the timeline. 

I can't recommend any programs but I'm sure something like Adobe Premier would be a good place to start.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed