Xenomorph's Weaknesses

Started by Gosutoraida, Jul 15, 2012, 08:12:19 PM

Author
Xenomorph's Weaknesses (Read 13,481 times)

Gosutoraida

Gosutoraida

I was wondering that other than fire, what other weaknesses do Aliens have?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Bullets, airlocks, and a perfect mixture of hot lead and cold water.

SM

SM

Adult Aliens don't appear to have a weakness to fire.

BANE

BANE

Strawberries. Aliens love strawberries.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 15, 2012, 10:51:40 PM
Strawberries. Aliens love strawberries.

predxeno

predxeno

The EU says that Aliens also have a weakness against base compounds; they diffuse acids, what the Xenomorphs have for blood.

SM

SM

Sounds reasonable - providing you have a strong enough hypo.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

They seem to freeze well enough from the movies.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

I wonder if Aliens do actually have a weakness to fire that is out of the ordinary, if you will. Or simply is it the seemingly inherent fear/respect we all creatures have for fire. I feel like the fire thing is being read into too much.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

It is read into too much. :) Mostly, because the games and comics kept that baseless idea firmly in popular culture references.

We saw the Queen having a natural aversion to flame, but it's possible that this is either an impulse genetically engrained by its more vulnerable 'facehugger days' or if, as I prefer to think, it's because it overloads their much higher developed sensory systems (which, incidentally, is the reason I suspect Newt's tracker might have been removed; her captor found it annoying).

More to the point, we saw the Nostromo's escape shuttle use high-temperature plasma thrust at very close range and the thing never showed in damage. Of course, I found it would have burst into flames in a vacuum, but still... There's just as much chance that it simply went into hibernation and is still floating out there, largely unharmed.

Eggs and facehuggers are fleshy. They seem flammable. Adult vulnerability is presently unknown.

I think it'd be rather iconic for a film to show one rushing through a torrent of flamethrower fuel, though... They already look like something which emerged from hell. Might as well add the as-much-at-home-in-an-inferno-or-ice theme. :)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Ok so maybe in aliens the chestburster that was fried only had a sensory overload and passed out... well I don't see why not. :)

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 17, 2012, 08:59:53 PM
Ok so maybe in aliens the chestburster that was fried only had a sensory overload and passed out... well I don't see why not. :)

What are you on about? Nobody said they were immune to fire. Anything would have died from getting napalmed (or whatever they use in that era) in the face. Point is they don't seem to anymore susceptible to "fire" then anything else.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jul 17, 2012, 09:33:26 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 17, 2012, 08:59:53 PM

What are you on about? Nobody said they were immune to fire. Anything would have died from getting napalmed (or whatever they use in that era) in the face. Point is they don't seem to anymore susceptible to "fire" then anything else.
I should have used quotes... but above Xenomorphine talks about not knowing if a xeno is actually damaged by fire. It survives a booster blast to the face for example. The chestburster in alien is fried but being the same creature that doesn't necessarily mean it was dead. A sensory overload is possible.

Yes I know Ridley uses fire as the catch all for everything. So by that fire should kill it.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Its possible that the chestburster got burned because it was much, much weaker of course than the adult version. It had a thin skin and was just a larva. The Alien novelization actually has a scene where Parker shoots the alien with the flamethrower and nothing happens at all, and I tihnk that makes sense since the alien can withstand any atmosphere, whether its the huge cold of space and LV426 or warm interiors of Nostromo

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

Yeah, generally, I never got people saying they had a "weakness" to fire. Generally creatures with an exoskeleton aren't all that hurt by it (on the outside) they're just boiled alive most of the time if their hide isn't thick enough. By that logic, an Alien, who's exoskeleton seems to be incredibly thick (resisting pistol rounds in Aliens) wouldn't have too much trouble.
They would probably be afraid/annoyed by it though, either because of a primal fear or because (as said by Xenomorphine) it overloads their senses.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 17, 2012, 12:13:31 PM
(which, incidentally, is the reason I suspect Newt's tracker might have been removed; her captor found it annoying).
Oh man, I love this, it's hilarious to imagine the Alien just sort of being annoyed by it as it brought her to the hive then finally just sort of holding her with one arm and taking the thing off and just tossing it away shouting "IT'S FINALLY QUIET"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed