How could a rescue ship get to Fiorina 161 within a week?

Started by EJA, Jul 02, 2012, 08:33:31 PM

Author
How could a rescue ship get to Fiorina 161 within a week? (Read 15,612 times)

Terx2

Wormholes? Just gonna leave that there ;D Does anyone a picture of the ship? Just wondering if it's smaller than the Sulaco. Less weight, faster engines and so on could speed up spacetravel.

Quote from: SM on Jul 29, 2013, 03:45:29 AM
If I want to nitpick I'll go with his original name - Micheal Bishop.

Peter Weyland never had anyone to carry on his name.  :)

Or Charles Bishop Weyland ;) Ha ha canon ;D

SM

The ship is the Sulaco minus the weapons.

Dustie

It always got me how the ships are portrayed moving either slow (Sulaco) or super-slow across the universe. It was only Prometheus that finally showed a ship actually speeding through space. These distances are crazy. We're talking about ships moving at the speed of light, right? Or even way faster?

Arterial Spray

We mostly see the ships manouvering near planets. Its not unreasonable that they simply such at manouvering and so take it slow, then when they are all lined up for a long journey (and away from the nearest planets so their gravity has less effect on the course) the big engines kick in and Whoosh!

SM

The second half of Alien is the Nostromo going faster than light.  First establishing shot of Sulaco would be the same.  And again in Alien3.  And again with Auriga in second half of Resurrection.

The reason they move relatively slowly is to give them the illusion of size and weight on screen.

SiL

Also because, y'know, the reference point of their movement -- the stars -- are still billions of kilometers away.

Parallax shift and shit, yo.

SM

That and all.

Apex

Not even attempting to try to explain whether Wey-Yu sent the ship to Fury 161, or put the egg or board or not, I still think the time line makes sense because of the following:

1) The Weyland Corp had FTL traveling ships before the events of Prometheus.  See http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Weyland_Corp

1.5) It is not just possible, but likely, that Wey-Yu had access to faster ships than the United Americas Allied Command, always wanting an upper hand, even to governments.

2) The Wey-Yu Corp had colonized many worlds, and therefore did not have to be coming all the way from Earth.

3) The Bio-Weapons program that Ripley essentially held within her chest was monumentally important the company, that is why Micheal Bishop Weyland, who bled red, and had a full name, went to a prison colony personally to retrieve it. I'd say someone that important to a company that's stock was worth trillions would have a very fast ship. 

Valaquen

Quote from: SIMULANT on Jul 29, 2013, 04:08:20 AM
in the back of my mind Peter Weylands comment about David being "the son he never had" seems like a dig at a illegitimate child that he had but did not consider a true son (a possible Weyland heir) who could be revealed in later installments of the franchise
That was aimed at Vickers, dude. His daughter.

Local Trouble

That Prometheus minutiae is hot garbage.  The official "Weyland Industries" website makes the dubious claim that they've managed to colonize planets more than 3,000 light years away, yet for some reason it's supposed to take the Nostromo ten months just to travel 37 light years from Zeta Reticuli to Earth at the time of Alien.

SM

1) Yes they had FTL ships - but be wary taking the Weyland site as gospel.  Prometheus was supposed to be the state of the art flagship and took over 2 years to travel about 35 light years.  At similar speeds it'd take 174 years to reach KO 2410 - yet KOI 2410 was colonised 25 years before the Prometheus mission.  They also manged to mine metals from Gliese 581 six months before FTL travel was made viable.

1.5) Dunno about that.  WY was probably building the drives for military ships.

2) WY had colonised worlds, in conjunction with the ECA.

3) Possibly.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2014, 11:29:12 PMThey also manged to mine metals from Gliese 581 six months before FTL travel was made viable.

So it's not even internally consistent.  :laugh:

Apex

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 08, 2014, 11:18:53 PM
That Prometheus minutiae is hot garbage.  The official "Weyland Industries" website makes the dubious claim that they've managed to colonize planets more than 3,000 light years away, yet for some reason it's supposed to take the Nostromo ten months just to travel 37 light years from Zeta Reticuli to Earth at the time of Alien.

You have a valid point there, it did kind of screw up the time line.

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2014, 11:29:12 PM
1) Yes they had FTL ships - but be wary taking the Weyland site as gospel.  Prometheus was supposed to be the state of the art flagship and took over 2 years to travel about 35 light years.  At similar speeds it'd take 174 years to reach KO 2410 - yet KOI 2410 was colonised 25 years before the Prometheus mission.  They also manged to mine metals from Gliese 581 six months before FTL travel was made viable.

Yes, as I said, good point because it messed with the timeline, but, even if we accept it, the events of Prometheus and Alien 3 happened decades apart, we can surmise advancements in tech occurred.

1.5) Dunno about that.  WY was probably building the drives for military ships.

I figure than an "evil" corporation would keep the best toys for themselves.

2) WY had colonised worlds, in conjunction with the ECA.

3) Possibly.

ECA? I'm sorry, not familiar with the term.

SM

AKA Colonial Administration.

Apex

Quote from: SM on Jan 09, 2014, 01:39:13 AM
AKA Colonial Administration.

Right, thank you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed