How could a rescue ship get to Fiorina 161 within a week?

Started by EJA, Jul 02, 2012, 08:33:31 PM

Author
How could a rescue ship get to Fiorina 161 within a week? (Read 15,610 times)

SiL

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jul 03, 2012, 11:28:58 PM
Thats acceleration - it has zero to do with its top end speed.
You have to accelerate to get to top speed, and the less massive object will accelerate quicker. Your brick and your bus will move at the same top speed in the end, but the brick can get there faster and sit there longer before needing to decelerate, which will also take less time than your bus.

If your brick accelerates to top speed in one second and your bus in ten, your brick has nine seconds at top speed on your bus. Even if their top velocities are identical, your brick's hitting the finish line first.

Nyeurgh :P

That all being said, no, I doubt just taking the guns off of the Sulaco would allow it to get places in a third of the time of a fully armed counterpart.

... this entire thing was a waste of both our time and I am so sorry :P

ScardyFox

Quote from: SiL on Jul 04, 2012, 08:04:38 AM
... this entire thing was a waste of both our time and I am so sorry :P

I was going to say something to what you said but I think we'd go back and forth the issue for another couple paragraphs.  :laugh:

Lol, it was interesting and thusly fun. :)

EJA

I'm sure I read something in the Colonial Marines Tech Manual that the reason for hypersleep wasn't just the time it took for the ship to travel from one place to another via hyperspace, but the effects hyperspace travel has on the crew of the vessel. Can anyone refresh my memory here?

AcidForBlood

I don't know if someone said this already but the days could be a lot longer? So seven days Fury 161 are longer than 7 days Earth?

SM

Fiorina seems to go by a 24 clock in spite of actual local days and nights being a lot longer.

QuoteI'm sure I read something in the Colonial Marines Tech Manual that the reason for hypersleep wasn't just the time it took for the ship to travel from one place to another via hyperspace, but the effects hyperspace travel has on the crew of the vessel. Can anyone refresh my memory here?

From memory it talks about some sort of reverse relativity.

Thats doesn't appear to be the case when looking at the films though.

AcidForBlood

Hmm, thanks for that. Never noticed.

Apex

Well, seeing as how important it was to the company, and that it actually had Weyland on it, maybe it was a fast ship. Just saying.

SM

The guy wasn't called Weyland.

Apex

Micheal Bishop Weyland.

Called Weyalnd.

SM

Bishop II aka Michael Bishop.

He's never been referred to as 'Michael Bishop Weyland'.

Apex

Do you think he was a synthetic?

SM

Apex

I would have guessed the opposite, doesn't matter.

You are right, I just looked, in the credits, and the film he was never called "Weyland." If you put AVP and AVP 2010 in canon, it would make sense that he would be part of the Weyland line.

Still, Bishop was on the ship, and it was a huge priority, so I'd say the ship he was on was a fast one. VIP and all that.

SM

We don't know where Bishop the Second was in the pecking order.  He may have not been terribly high up.  There's simply no way of knowing for sure what was going on.

Which is Alien3 all over.

Apex

I would imagine he was pretty high up. I mean, they made synthetics base on him, and he was sent, or he sent himself, on a mission to retrieve a Xeno. That is a huge deal for the company.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed