Prometheus Easter Egg (spoilers)

Started by predxeno, Jun 09, 2012, 08:34:21 PM

Author
Prometheus Easter Egg (spoilers) (Read 49,748 times)

Aceburster

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2012, 01:19:05 AM
Oh, and by the way, Peter Weyland is f**king British. Last time I checked...Charles was not.

People can have family in other countries  :(

predxeno

predxeno

Maybe we should tone down on the AVP vs. Prometheus canon debate, I remember that before Prometheus came out, there were lots of rage wars about that which a lot of people didn't like.  Don't want to get anyone banned here.

Anyway, are there any official names for the "Super Hugger" or the "Proto-Alien" yet?

Hudson

Hudson

Obese Face Hugger and Dollar Store Alien

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

'Prometheus' didn't verify or negate the AVP series from canon. Just didn't refer to them (although, one could easily say it happened to retread much of the same ground).

If anything, the biological wizardry shown in 'Prometheus' might make the previously ridiculous Predalien reproduction method, sadly, a lot more plausible... The one thing I felt which could believably erase 'Requiem' from having canon status, up until now.

Quote from: Barringer on Jun 10, 2012, 12:26:07 AM
If AVP and Prometheus are in the same universe, the Engineers and Predators would have to have had contact considering that they were both influencing the development of human culture at the same time.

From what I remember, the Engineers are inferred to have been responsible for making us, but little more than that. Predators just happened to find our world when we were at a later tribal stage of development. Whether or not they could be said to have encountered one another is totally up in the air (no pun intended). If you want both series to be in the same continuity, you could just as easily say they happened to meet as not.

I've often said the Predators are more likely to have stolen or been given their technology than to have made it themselves (thermal vision doesn't lend itself to the invention of things like electronics and I'd suspect they would have had trouble coming up with an engraved, viewable writing system, too). Perhaps the Engineers tried to influence them and they took them over. Or artificially evolved Predators to serve as guardians... The old vampires-and-werewolves relationship.

I later found out that the 'Mass Effect' series took that same logic to explain the krogans and was executed well enough there, so... If a future film-maker wanted to take that angle on things, there's a precedent for doing it in a plausible way. Just combine 'Underworld' and 'Mass Effect', throw in some Lovecraftian themes and you're good to go. :)

Basically, the entire thing is still a sandbox for whoever's lucky enough to get to go and play in it.

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2012, 01:19:05 AM
I don't understand what makes certain people so uncomfortable about the AvP films not being considered canon.

All in the eye of the beholder, my friend. Right now, if someone wants them to be, they can. Likewise, if someone doesn't, they don't have to.

QuoteCBW disappeared in 2004. What makes you think his global corporation would disappear without a trace simply because of him (with only small percentage in share prices) dying and within 8 years his son...or whatever already has enough patents and patents pending to jumpstart an even bigger and more impressive corporation!? Oh, and by the way, Peter Weyland is f**king British. Last time I checked...Charles was not.

No different to Stark Industries in the world of 'Iron Man'. Father dies, child prodigy takes over. Or brother/cousin/nephew/whatever.

Nationality doesn't matter. It's an accent. One spent formative years somewhere the other didn't. 'Charles' could've settled in the UK and had a family. Who knows?

QuoteAvP are movies based on comics made by shitty filmmakers with no credibility before or since they made those movies. That's enough reason for me to shit on PWSA's face and tell him to f**k off when he tries to shoulder himself into the glory of the Alien canon. I'm glad that Prometheus is basically AvP with a brain, even if it's not that great of a movie.

Eh... Be careful where you sling mud around. There's plenty of 'Prometheus' which comes across as comic-like, too. In a few places, some of the characters of the first AVP film act more intelligently.

One doesn't have to tear down one to bring the other up.

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 10, 2012, 01:24:44 AM
Anyway, are there any official names for the "Super Hugger" or the "Proto-Alien" yet?

We'll get them when the 'art of' book gets published in English. It's a lot of speculation, right now.

Barringer

Barringer

The various archaeological artifacts depicting the Engineers among myriad Human societies throughout history indicates a level of influence beyond creation, and Ridley Scott has also indicated as much in interviews, including the Jesus connection.

AmazSpiderMan1

Quote from: Ballzanya on Jun 10, 2012, 12:35:25 AM
Quote from: Barringer on Jun 10, 2012, 12:26:07 AM
If AVP and Prometheus are in the same universe, the Engineers and Predators would have to have had contact considering that they were both influencing the development of human culture at the same time.

The way i look at the avp films is that they are no more canonical than many of the aliens comics pre-alien 3 which has ripley and a bunch of other characters running around etc. To whatever extent people find them enjoyable, (the minority of you out there) it doesn't mean they have any contact with Prometheus or the alien films. Some video games, toys etc. featuring the aliens are not part of the canonical, alien universe but they can still entertain.

That's because YOU don't like them, and you CHOOSE to disregard them as canon. It's not fact, and it certainly doesn't say in "Prometheus" that "AVP" is non canon. And again, I don't like them either, but I understand how these things go, and they're just movies. Since the dawn of film there have been bad sequels to great movies, usually with the first one being considered a "classic" or a "masterpiece". "Frankenstein", "The Mummy", etc, and that continues on into today. "A Nightmare on Elm Street", "Halloween", etc. They will always make bad sequels or spin offs. I'm sorry, but "Halloween: Resurrection" happened. "Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare" happened. "King Kong Vs. Godzilla" got made. "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man" took two genius monster movies and combined them into a popcorn entertainment. So, I know it sucks that "AVP" had to be the Alien Vs. Predator movie that we got, and until they make a film that legitimately retcons it - it's a part of continuity. Besides, some people, as you've mentioned, do really like "AVP", and who are you and I to tell them, "Oh, your stupid little movie doesn't exist."

"Prometheus" easily could have changed the canon for not only "AVP", but "Aliens" as well, and it just didn't. I believe the original draft pre-Lindelof did, but in the final product, everything is just too ambiguous. I respect you not enjoying the "AVP" movies though. I don't either.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Barringer on Jun 10, 2012, 01:36:28 AM
The various archaeological artifacts depicting the Engineers among myriad Human societies throughout history indicates a level of influence beyond creation, and Ridley Scott has also indicated as much in interviews, including the Jesus connection.

We don't know if the exact times/locations Predators visited match up with those of the Engineers, though.

Technically, we don't even know if those who visited us in 'Prometheus' were one and the same as the Engineers or just allied factions.

In real UFO lore, there's meant to be a whole ton of different species regularly visiting us, from ancient history to the modern day. Some friendly, some unfriendly and others who don't care either way. I can see much the same thing being implied here. Especially since one of the primary influences for both Scott and Anderson is meant to be precisely that.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 10, 2012, 01:24:44 AM
Maybe we should tone down on the AVP vs. Prometheus canon debate, I remember that before Prometheus came out, there were lots of rage wars about that which a lot of people didn't like.  Don't want to get anyone banned here.

Art of Book calls the bodyhugger a "Trilobite" (NO idea why - could be a lost in French translation thing, perhaps).  The proto-alien is called "Deacon," which is actually a nickname I kinda like.  I believe it means a servant to the Church or something.  Interesting analogy in terms of the engineer's relationship with them.

atlantis

atlantis

I don't care that Ridley buried the alien....

When i watch in Giger's alien book and the necronomicon books .. the creatures he designed are still mysterious , exotic and very creepy...

The fact , that after Alien , film makers failed to keep it that mysterious is their fault...

So lets handle this Alien with care, it's the only one of it's kind we got :)

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 09, 2012, 11:12:51 PM
I think it's a new alien as I'm pretty sure Ridley already buried the xenomorph.

cloverfan98

Quote from: atlantis on Jun 10, 2012, 03:49:58 AM
I don't care that Ridley buried the alien....

When i watch in Giger's alien book.. the creatures he designed are still mysterious , exotic and very creepy...

The fact , that after Alien , film makers failed to keep it that mysterious is their fault... and not Gigers design ...

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 09, 2012, 11:12:51 PM
I think it's a new alien as I'm pretty sure Ridley already buried the xenomorph.

So you're saying that you don't think that Giger's Alien is not overplayed like Scott says? Cause I agree completly.

atlantis

atlantis

I did see the Alien only in one movie ( alien 1979 )

In aliens it was already transformed to a simple ant like creature completely with egg laying queen..( God I hate that )

Rick Grimes

I swear when Holloway first fell, Shaw turned around and said "Jonesy" when she went to check on him. Could have been my imagination but I think that's what she said to him.

cloverfan98

Quote from: atlantis on Jun 10, 2012, 03:59:26 AM
I did see the Alien only in one movie ( alien 1979 )

In aliens it was already transformed to a simple ant like creature completely with egg laying queen..( God I hate that )

As much as I LOVE Aliens I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who felt that Cameron DRASTICALLY changed the Alien.

Rick Grimes

Cameron expanded on the Alien Universe, in which had he never made his film we wouldn't be where we are now.

Alienseseses

I was under the impression it was another bio-weapon in the Engineer arsenal that's probably related to the Alien we all know on a genetic level. It's unclear whether or not it was created by the Engineers or simply utilized by them. All the same, it's a different creature. The ordinary Alien already exits, chillin' like a villain on LV-426. And what we see here is an infant, anyway. It'll mature into something more messed up.

I like it. While it's not needed for the plot, it does add to the sense of "Holy crap, there are horrifying things out there and this is just the tip of the iceberg."
I have a feeling HP Lovecraft would have loved this movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed