Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 154,065 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Just returned from a second screening....my theater was full of people. On a Monday? Go figure. During the Xeno birth scene the guy behind me was saying "is that an alien?" " oh shit, that's an alien" he had no clue the film was related. He was totally excited by it.

Ooze on First

Ooze on First

Any guesses as to what Prometheus will pull in for Monday (6/11)?

Most films of this type drop around 65% from Sun-Mon, so I'll say $4.75m

I'm talking domestic (U.S.) take here.

The Hyena

The Hyena

Seems the movie is becoming highly successful.

Go figure.

Gazz

Gazz

Prometheus is actually out grossing MIBIII in the UK with $24.8 to $24.4 million (plus MIBIII was out a week extra also).

I didn't expect that.  :)

Ooze on First

Ooze on First

Early numbers show about $5.3m for Monday.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

$5.3 million is on par with what Snow White pulled last monday

It's also a slight improvement over AVP's inflation adjusted $5.0 from 2004

Ooze on First

Ooze on First

I hope that number holds (or increases) when the actuals come in.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

The actual for Monday (domestic) was $5.2 per Box Office Mojo

And per ER, "PROMETHEUS' worldwide haul as of Monday: $148.9M"

zakzak

zakzak

The movie may gross on a lower side of $150 million. I wanted the movie to gross over $200 million but hey.....With all the minor violent scenes in the movie, Fox should push for PG13. LORD OF THE RINGS has more constant violence than this movie, seriously! and it gets a PG13

Cybercat

Cybercat

Quote from: zakzak on Jun 13, 2012, 12:10:29 AM
The movie may gross on a lower side of $150 million. I wanted the movie to gross over $200 million but hey.....With all the minor violent scenes in the movie, Fox should push for PG13. LORD OF THE RINGS has more constant violence than this movie, seriously! and it gets a PG13

What are you talking about?  It already made 150 million.   ::)  Sorry, people, this movie was a success.  Take your lowballing negativity back to the past where it belongs. 

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Quote from: Cybercat on Jun 13, 2012, 01:20:35 AM

What are you talking about?  It already made 150 million.   ::)  Sorry, people, this movie was a success.  Take your lowballing negativity back to the past where it belongs.

lol

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Cybercat on Jun 13, 2012, 01:20:35 AM

He's talking about US box office (which does tend to be excessively focused on by the industry, presumably because the studios get a higher percentage). Worldwide, it's pretty damn close to making back its costs (assuming marketing + distribution is 50% of its $120m production budget, for a $180m total). Should make a tidy profit by the end of its run, and if they can jam the cool stuff people are expecting into the home media release (ideally a "director's cut"), that should be a great success (though, again, for some reason there isn't such a focus on DVD/BD sales).

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

It'd be a disgrace if Prometheus ended up earning less than Snow White and the Huntsman, Madagascar 3 and MIB3...

Gazz

Gazz

Why would it be a disgrace?

MIB3, Madagascar and Snow White are all PG13 and lower. Two of which are sequels to pre existing franchises capable of pulling in larger box office numbers (something the Alien series has never really done since Aliens and even that didn't break records). I think Prometheus will end up doing Snow White type money in America overall (topping out about $130/ $140) and that's just fine.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Gazz on Jun 13, 2012, 10:40:49 AM
Why would it be a disgrace?

MIB3, Madagascar and Snow White are all PG13 and lower. Two of which are sequels to pre existing franchises capable of pulling in larger box office numbers (something the Alien series has never really done since Aliens and even that didn't break records). I think Prometheus will end up doing Snow White type money in America overall (topping out about $130/ $140) and that's just fine.

You could argue that Snow White will pull in the Twilight crowd, so it might as well be another franchised picture. More than just the rating though, those films all appeal to kids, who turn out in droves to anything that's well marketed, are frequent repeat-viewers, and bring their parents along whether the adults want to see it or not.
Even if Prometheus was neutered into a PG-13, it's not that kind of a film, and has to make its money purely on merit. If anything, the higher rating may be helpful, because the adult audience can see it's something intended specifically for them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed