Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 326,137 times)

LarsVader

LarsVader

Quote from: Space Sweeper on May 09, 2013, 01:27:06 PM
Maybe it's a musical instrument and its beats play externally through its ribcage like speakers. And it can activates starmaps whilst laying down ill beats. I believe this is what Giger was going for.
They communicate like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAka_y3BC0#ws
David was practicing beatboxing on the Prometheus.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 09, 2013, 05:46:21 AM
Quote from: Morpheus on May 03, 2013, 11:35:42 PM
I'm sorry, i really dont want to read all this posts, but i just want to ask you guys something:  I am the only one who thinks that the idea of the Space Jockey be a giant dude with a elephant trunk on the face instead of a nose, just ridiculous?

I wouldn't. Looking back at the original Jockey seen in Alien would suggest it is an elephant-like trunk. I don't know, but something tells me a tube wouldn't fossilize like the rest of an organic body. The Jockey's chair looked untouched but the Jockey himself was a fossil, including the nose part.

Know, i never could see a "trunk guy" in that. I aways saw some alien using a space suit.

and you have a good point in there. But is clear that the Engineers began to evolve its technology over to the side of biotechnology. Prometheus showed us that.

So, their "space" suit its like a biotech suit, organic like. It would "die" with its owner, and obvious, fossilize with him. I believe it so.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Rewatched Prometheus for only the third time, really tried my hardest to find something redeeming about it but I couldn't, gorgeous cinematography and effects aside, it's still horrendous

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think it bothers me more that it isn't horrendous.  If it was horrendous I wouldn't try to watch it.  Its just the fact that it settled for okay without capturing anything that made the Alien series successful, and without answering any of its big ticket questions.  Massive disappointment yes, but not AvPR levels of suck imo.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Horrendous might have been too strong, it's was just such a huge disappointment

Morpheus

Morpheus

the thing that f**k it all is that it has such an awesome idea...it's such a huge waste. And we fans are the one who suffer for it...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I still firmly believe that Prometheus is a fascinating mess. It is terribly paced and edited (especially during the final third) and it has quite a few really stupid scenes throughout, but I can't help but love it more and more every time I watch it.

I find the themes and concepts that the film portrays to be absolutely, dare I repeat myself, fascinating. I completely understand and sympathize with those who do not like that the Lovecraftian cosmic horror that was the Space Jockey was transformed into humankind's creator (I kind of share those sentiments myself) but I also absolutely love the Engineers of this film. The way the movie plays around with such concepts as 'God', 'creation', and the ultimate purpose behind our lives and our very existence is vague (occasionally frustratingly so) but, for me, it really works.

Most of the core themes of the movie all seem boil down to one single exchange of dialogue:

Charlie Holloway: What we hoped to achieve was to meet our makers. To get answers. Why they even made us in the first place.
David: Why do you think your people made me?
Charlie Holloway: We made you because we could.
David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?
Charlie Holloway: I guess it's good you can't be disappointed.

The way I look at it, Prometheus is essentially Mary Shelly's Frankenstein in space (pfft, and to think Ridley made a comment about Frankenstein not being an inspiration for Prometheus). Both stories are heavily inspired by the original Greek Prometheus mythology, albeit on different scales, and it definitely shows in the final products. While Frankenstein is a personal take on this philosophy, Ridley Scott's Prometheus is a more grand retelling of the original tale of creation and destruction. The Engineers (humanity's original creators) are Victor Frankenstein reincarnated and we humans play the role of the misunderstood but savage monster that our creator wants to destroy. But in Prometheus we also seem to have a bit of a Frankenstein-complex in ourselves as well; while we are merely a creation (perhaps even a failed one, seeing as we are 2000 years overdue for extermination) we are also creators ourselves. Not of biological life, but of thinking beings nonetheless. And these mechanical lifeforms (one of the most fascinating elements in all three of Ridley Scott's science fiction films) too share with humanity and Frankenstein's monster the need to destroy and make a name for themselves.

Elizabeth Shaw: What happens when Weyland is not around to program you anymore?
David: I suppose I'll be free.
Elizabeth Shaw: You want that?
David: "Want"? Not a concept I'm familiar with. That being said, doesn't everyone want their parents dead?

David 8, like Ash and (Alien), Roy Batty (Blade Runner), and even the non-humanoid Hal 9000 (Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey) before him, represents the pinnacle of human achievement and innovation, blurring the line between what we call true life forms and mere machinery.

Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto. (Blade Runner)

Like the Engineers and Victor Frankenstein, we too are meddling in forces beyond our control. Flash forward from Prometheus to the first three films in the Alien franchise. No longer satisfied with simply creating life, we as a species are also constantly on a quest to discover and create new ways to take life. Weyland-Yutani, the merger corporation formed sometime after the events of Peter Weyland's quest for a God-like status and eternal life in Prometheus, spends the entirety of the three films attempting to get their hand on the Alien creature (a creature that, given the less than welcoming status of the facility on LV-223, the Engineers themselves could not even handle as they too tried to utilize the creature's essence in their very own impossible-to-control bioweapons) in order to create weapons. When the last Alien is destroyed in Ellen Ripley's ultimate act of life-preserving self sacrifice in Alien 3 (sacrifice is another huge theme in Prometheus and is responsible for the creation of human life) the Weyland-Yutani corporation's successor, the United Systems Military, actually clones and recreates the beast, all the while manipulating, humiliating, and ultimately destroying themselves and the creature that they could never even dream of actually controlling or containing, let alone converting into a weapon. As if by deliberate design and careful planning, we failed just as our god-like creators did thousands of years ago.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

I agree, I loved the concepts that the film suggested, it was just so poorly executed IMO

szkoki

szkoki

i have to say the first act is still a masterpiece (apart from how silly they just find the pyramids) until they find the urn hall...then i always feel...meeeh just urns and black goo

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Despite thinking it had some cool ideas, which probably makes it even more disappointing, I haven't had the urge to revisit it since opening day, so I'll just go with "didn't care for it."

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Just re-watched it and I loved some of it. As flaky as the mythology is, the opening sequence is fantastic - I would even say a bit rushed - it could of done with some lingering. I thrilled at the ship design and the landing sequence - the way its cockpit bumps and whinnies in the wind as they drop into the valley, the long shots of it tiny in the landscape...

...then about 40 confused minutes later I got another thrill from the juggernaut launch and the amazing looking comedy of the spaceship missile and the rolling croissant... epic stuff...

...then the movie just flopped down dead.

demonbane

demonbane

Is it vocal minority that film is horrible? I understand that everyone has different taste, and movie with about 70% rating is debatable. But imo, 70% is quite enjoyable with flaws here and there. Both Rotten Tomato and IMDB have 70% rating. I would say bitter disappointment from hardcore fans caused the uproar.
Like I said here, I still feel awkward when the Captain just went kamikaze after listening to Shaw. I felt rather ridiculous than emotional.

RobThom

RobThom

**My Review of Prometheus**

Prometheus is a movie that may or may not be completely unwatchable.
Depending on how personally you take the insult to your intelligence and good taste.

There is no plot.

(Arbitrary things happening spoilers ahead.)

Allegedly the impetus for the narrative is Peter Weyland searching for immortality,
maybe.
But which only manifest itself as him pretending to be dead for no reason. Bringing a ship full of incompetents that proceed to endanger any attempt at any coherent mission. Including a self aware and unpredictable manchild android who he instructs to infect the crew of the ship that he's on with unknown probably toxic alien sewage out of a jar.
Despite the android manchild allegedly speaking alien by studying primitive dialects... with rosetta stone. He's an early unpredictable prototype without a USB port. But he doesn't apparently read the writing on the jar or further investigate the structure where he found it (craftily sneaking a 3 foot alien jug anto the ship in the back of a truck with 4 other people without anybody noticing) for clues to its use or contents.

Or it may allegedly be about Elizibeth Shaw choosing to believe something? Maybe she's a Christian since she trots around wearing a crucifix, but a Christian would not get on a space ship and try to meet god. That contradicts having faith...

Anywho,
plotlessly they proceed to wander back and forth from an apple store standard issue chrome and neon spaceship from star trek to 2-3 large sets ripped off from Giger that dont really serve any apparent plot point other then to look at them. Where absurd things like taking off their helmets, freaking out and getting lost and petting hissing space cobras happen for no apparent plot function other then to die via blender editing.

Until after ripping off dialogue and visuals from 2001, Alien, Aliens, Jodorosky's Dune and every creative movie he's seen before where other people have already done the work and put in the effort to be creative,
damon lindelof basically rips off the end of alien where Ripley tricks and ejects the alien out of the airlock.
But in his clever twist 4 foot 5 pretty girl Shaw tricks a 7-8 foot murderous space karate expert into wrasslin with her across the floor and next to a button that she no-look hits behind her while delivering an action movie punchline which lets a giant octopus through the door to fight with the muscleman.
(His DNA is 100% human from space.)

She then flies off backwards with another decapitated android in a third derelict, implying that the prongs of the derelict from Alien are not majestically pointing skywards, but that its stuck in the dirt face first with its feet in the air, leaving a recorded message for who knows.

But wait theres more!

The octopus has impregnated the apparently already dead karateguy and a soul crushingly laughable dime store Alien knockoff with a conehead pops out.

But as previously suggested at the beginning of this review,
prometheus may arguably have attributes.

I've heard that it has great visuals.
And indeed the Giger knockoffs are generally nice looking Giger knockoffs.

The derilect/juggernaut is nice looking.
The Juggernaut cockpit set is nice looking.

The creature design isn't good,
the costumes look like glorified scuba gear,
the ship looks like any number of shiny generic CGI spaceships.

I've heard that Fassbender performance is impressive.
But its hard to really say when he's saying and doing dumb things.

He just seems like he's talking and acting all mellowed out like he's been smoking pot,
possibly becasue they also brought pot, a full bar, bmx bicycles, a basketball court, chandeliers, a grand piano and a pool table on the scientific mission.

But I'm glad I saw it at least once.
(I've actually studied it multiple times searching for closure.)

It has at the very least released me from ever expecting a return to form from Ridley Scott.
And a new perspective on just what he actually ever brought or had to offer,
even to his greatest achievements.

Aliens_Diner86

Aliens_Diner86

Watched it again for the 3rd or 4th time and it still has not grown on me  :-\
It's a greatly designed film but thats pretty much it.
Pales compared to the first alien !

okey Movie 3/5

UFO-Man

UFO-Man

Sad to say that Alien series does not have the respect that Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter have.

I've enjoyed Prometheus.

8/10.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed