Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 323,929 times)

BANE

BANE

Yeah, right up there with Sharktopus. I salute you, Major Exaggeration.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Hi guys...been away a long time...

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

Saw this movie last week... And I have mixed feelings about it...

I loved the imagery, the production design, the Prometheus, and most of all, Noomi Rapace... Amazing actress and a delightful surprise... I have been tempted to see the Swedish Millenium trilogy but the language is to me like Catwoman using her claws alongside the Max Schreck's store windows...Sheesh... The religion versus science battle was lightly adressed here, but efficient nonetheless...

I have mixed feelings about the whole Space Jockey/Engineers thing... I know that it would be hard to make a sci-fi without the human element in the middle of it, grounding the story, but the entire 'They made us at their image' thing... nah...

The droids keep bugging me in this Alien saga, including this 'fake' prequel  (I'll explian in a sec what I mean by 'fake')... They are way too human for my taste, showing machiavelian and psychopathic behaviors, including David's grinning after Shaw told him she did not want her parents dead... Him infecting Holloway could have been instructed by Weyland, so I can give that one the benefit of the doubt but the jokes about 'i didn't think you had it in you...Sorry, poor choice of words'...This cynicism is not credible for a construct that 'has no soul' (I loved David's reaction to that, and immediately noticed 'hey, that is not very robotic of him')...

So, on to the 'fake' prequel... I found it disturbing two things: first, that humans found ALiens before the Nostromo crew, rendering the Alien movie quite pointless... I mean, knowing this happened 30 years before Ripley killed the first xeno, and that a human spawned the first proto facehugger (looked more like an octopus to me...LOL) and henceforth the first protoalien and so on and so forth... meh...

I say it is a 'fake' prequel in this regard: it makes little to no sense that the distress signal the Nostromo picked up could be Shaw's, though it is hinted at...Second, taking 30 years to capture a radio transmission (though the Prometheus is no longer there, it surely sent a distress signal or data back to Earth... I mean, that is standard protocol for space missions, right?) and worse, if the distress signal the Nostromo picked up was not Shaw's, then who sent it and how did they manage to decrypt it?) Maybe that's for the P sequels to unravel...

AND it is a chronological prequel to the Alien because of the Weyland Corporation (still no sign of the merger with Yutani, though I can easily predict the falling of Weyland after Weyland and his daughter's demise) and the date, which sets this 30 years before The Nostromo's endeavor...

I have a lot of trouble with the story and never quite understood why the Vickers character escaped the Prometheus only to be killed moments later squashed by the falling Engineer carrier... I found quise amusing the fact that they both, Shaw and Vickers, ran a straight line instead of running to the side and therefore avoiding the ship falling on them... Shaw's survival still puzzles me for its sheer irrealism... her dome must be a lot stronger than the poor sap who was killed by Fifield...

There are a lot more 'huh' moments for me, but nevertheless, it is a movie that was a sight to look at (saw it in an empty theater all to myself, which was so cool! hey, I saw it two weeks after it opened...) And I enjoyed it... provided I don't overthink it...

Yet, I had a great time all by myself watching it... And I am gonna watch the sequel for sure, I assure you...

All in all, I give it 7.5 out of 10...

SCORE - 9 out of 10
STORY - 6.5 out of 10
VISUALS - 9.5 out of 10
DIRECTING - 8 out of 10
CHARACTERS - 8 OUT OF 10
REWATCHABILITY WHEN IN DVD - 10 out of 10

That's all for now, folks... take care

Cheers!

SM

SM

Quoteit makes little to no sense that the distress signal the Nostromo picked up could be Shaw's

There's a reason it makes no sense.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2012, 12:45:05 AM
Quoteit makes little to no sense that the distress signal the Nostromo picked up could be Shaw's

Why is that, SM?  ???

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Jul 24, 2012, 01:17:13 AM

Why is that, SM?  ???

The distress signal in Alien is from LV 426 perhaps?

SM

SM

Why is that, SM?  ???

Because Shaw's transmission - sent from a different planet in a different star system - isn't the one picked up by the Nostromo.

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2012, 01:25:00 AM

Why is that, SM?  ???

Because Shaw's transmission - sent from a different planet in a different star system - isn't the one picked up by the Nostromo.
Alien was set on LV-426 and prometheus is set on LV-233 maybe (LV-223) can't remember, but they are not the same planet.

SM

SM

Yup, LV-223.  Which is 34.5 ly from Earth.  LV-426 is 39.

Some have suggested LV-223 is in Gliese 86.  I prefer Iota Persei at the moment.  LV-426 is in Zeta 2 Reticuli.

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2012, 03:07:29 AM
Yup, LV-223.  Which is 34.5 ly from Earth.  LV-426 is 39.

Some have suggested LV-223 is in Gliese 86.  I prefer Iota Persei at the moment.  LV-426 in in Zeta 2 Reticuli.
I have been enlightened, thank you. So these real celestial bodies are represented by the LV's?

SM

SM

The only verified one is Zeta 2 Reticuli.

Gliese 86 and Iota Persei are a similar distance from Earth but in different directions.  Dunno if anything official has been nailed down, but Gliese 86 has appeared in the Betty Hill starmap as part of the Prometheus pre-release promotional material.

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: SM on Jul 25, 2012, 02:39:21 AM
The only verified one is Zeta 2 Reticuli.

Gliese 86 and Iota Persei are a similar distance from Earth but in different directions.  Dunno if anything official has been nailed down, but Gliese 86 has appeared in the Betty Hill starmap as part of the Prometheus pre-release promotional material.
Quite interesting, I would have never thought they would use real planets, I would have thought it was all made up.

Primordial

Primordial

I put 5/5 but if I could, I would put 4.5/5.

The fear Scott promised wasn't there, I had more questions after watching it than before, but Prometheus is a movie which I appreciate more and more with time (like the monsters in it)

SM

SM

QuoteQuite interesting, I would have never thought they would use real planets, I would have thought it was all made up.

The planets are made up, but not the star systems.  No exoplanets the size of LV-426 have been discovered thus far.  It's too small.

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: SM on Jul 25, 2012, 11:36:53 PM
QuoteQuite interesting, I would have never thought they would use real planets, I would have thought it was all made up.

The planets are made up, but not the star systems.  No exoplanets the size of LV-426 have been discovered thus far.  It's too small.
Hmm, I see. How big is Lv-426 anyway? I know you get an idea from the explosion which stated by Bishop is around 40 Megatons.

SM

SM

1200km diameter as stated by Lambert in the Alien DC.

"Tiny."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed