Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 323,926 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 12, 2012, 07:05:18 AM
I almost forgot the flute thing until somebody brought it up.  That was ET like camp.  Expected it to be more ghost of the shellish.  With the jockey's running everything biomechanical style (kind of like cyborg's interfacing with computers using wireless connections in their bodies or direct physical connections into hardware).
I felt the flute was a little Close Encounters nod ... and yeah, more GitS, biomech, creatures integrated into technology. Maybe we'll see more of that in a Jockey society sequel.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: dave1978 on Jul 11, 2012, 02:30:25 PM
Well it should have been 3hours + then.  People didnt have a problem sitting through LOTR 2 towers or Return of the king for over 3 hours.

God I did. Return of the King: not only did it not know when to end, it did it all in slow motion.

Now Prometheus by comparison felt far too short.

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 12, 2012, 04:13:10 PMI felt the flute was a little Close Encounters nod ... and yeah, more GitS, biomech, creatures integrated into technology. Maybe we'll see more of that in a Jockey society sequel.
Do you reckon we are going to see more flutist Engineers and silicon buttons in the future?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 12, 2012, 11:19:12 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 12, 2012, 07:05:18 AM
The Alien.  So the black goo end result is the Alien.....yet there is apparantly a zillion different ways to get there.  If the end result is not the Alien how did they know to make a mural of it?

I can offer a possible explanation for this. We know based on the mural and Alien that the Engineers have know about/had possession of the Aliens for a long time prior to Prometheus. We also know that every creature created from the black goo has Alien-like traits (The Hammerpedes have acidic blood, the mutated humans [based on concept art] were beginning to take shape of something that resembles the Alien, the Trilobite is essentially a Facehugger, and the Deacon, well, that one is pretty obvious). Now, this is all just speculation on my part, but given that everything links up to the Alien like that, I'm under the impression that the Alien we know from the Alien Quadrilogy (and by extension, the Eggs in the Derelict) are a naturally occurring lifeform discovered by the Engineers. Like Weyland Yutani in the Alien films, the Engineers deemed them worthy of their bioweapons division, but after getting their hands on the creatures and discovering just how dangerous (even for their own handlers) the Aliens were, they deconstructed them down to their most basic state (the black goo) to make them a bit safer to transport and use.

I would still argue the Jockies engineered the Aliens in some capacity. The Deacon, born out of the black goo, is too obvious for it to be any other way IMO.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Personally, I feel that the Engineers definitely engineered the Deacon, but that the original Aliens may be naturally occuring (and the basis for the Deacon as well as then other creatures and mutations running around in Prometheus).

SM

SM

Some issues with script and pacing aside, saw it, dug it, want to see it again.

bleau

bleau

Quote from: SM on Jul 14, 2012, 10:35:03 PM
Some issues with script and pacing aside, saw it, dug it, want to see it again.

Glad to here you like it.

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: Gash on Jul 12, 2012, 08:05:44 PM
Quote from: dave1978 on Jul 11, 2012, 02:30:25 PM
Well it should have been 3hours + then.  People didnt have a problem sitting through LOTR 2 towers or Return of the king for over 3 hours.

God I did. Return of the King: not only did it not know when to end, it did it all in slow motion.

Now Prometheus by comparison felt far too short.
Finally another person who had trouble sitting through LOTR. Thought I was the only one  :D

SM

SM

Jackon copped flack about the long ending(s).  And this is after he significantly shortened it from the books.

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2012, 04:29:19 AM
Jackon copped flack about the long ending(s).  And this is after he significantly shortened it from the books.
Still think it should have been shorter or maybe add more details but split the films into different parts.

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Quote from: delsaber8 on Jul 15, 2012, 03:21:58 AM
Finally another person who had trouble sitting through LOTR. Thought I was the only one  :D

No, there's actually quite many of us. Return of the King was a real pain to watch.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Whilst I think ROTK is a good movie, and probably the best of the 3, it's almost impossible to re-watch due to its procrastinated  nature. Like The Dark Knight, it needed to be at least 30 mins shorter to hold attention for a re-watch.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

"Like the Dark Knight?"

Lol, you're the only one who holds tight to that belief.  :D  Lol, wut?  TDK  was flawless.  You're just too afraid to admit it.

Divpax

Divpax

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 15, 2012, 08:26:13 AM
"Like the Dark Knight?"

Lol, you're the only one who holds tight to that belief.  :D  Lol, wut?  TDK  was flawless.  You're just too afraid to admit it.
Please tell me you're taking the piss. The dark knight pacing issues are a very commonly held belief by most people who aren't blind Nolan fans. Don't get me wrong it was a good film, a great film actually and one of the best comic movies ever, but to call it flawless is just plain silly. Re watch the film and tell me the film wouldn't benefit from cutting out the whole 2 ships scene out.

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

I enjoyed Prometheus for the most part. I thought the last half hour or so felt rushed somehow, badly edited perhaps. It didn't spoil the whole film or anything but it did leave a bit of a bad taste. I guess I'd give the movie 3 out of 5.
The only character I liked and found interesting was David. I can't stand Noomi Rapace and found it a chore watching her (if you need to flame me for my dislike of Noomi then flame away). I didn't think much of the dialogue and with the exception of the Engineer I didn't like the creature designs.
I did like the general look of the film, liked the sets and non-creature designs, like the effects etc. Even the story isn't new in terms of alien astronaught stuff I did enjoy it apart from the last 30 mins.
I didn't have a problem that with not being a direct prequel to alien and not seeing the classic xeno, in fact I think it should have been totally divorced from the alien movies, set it in a completely different universe.
This is one of those movies I'll probably only watch once. Not neccesarily a bad thing, I've only seen lots of good movies only once, however this is the only alien related movie that I'll have only watch the once.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed