Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 324,588 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

If people are still buggered up on Vickers' death, then I wonder how badly deaths in the Jurassic Park movies must bother you since the humans run straight most of the time and don't run off to the side.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Not really...dinosaurs can run to the side too and would follow you no matter what - it won't matter if you turn left or right.  A gigantic rolling ship cannot.

BANE

BANE

Doesn't matter. You zig zag. Have you ever watched a gazelle running from a cheetah, or someone running from the cops through a field? Always zig zagging.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Serpentine!

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Yes.  Hilarious!

But, I have to say that my wife found Vickers' death fitting, as it represented the naivete of her character, always serving her own self-interest and acting professional, but really lacking any true field experience.  She was always trying to please daddy, and her character came across as sort of an entitled corporate brat.  In this way, she found her death to be symbolic of how she approached things in her life.

I was both intrigued and compelled by this idea, and am sure there are some others who share it.

But.. I'm still pissed. :laugh:

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Judging by Lindelof's comments about how much he loves stephen King and George R. R. Martin.. and the way they handle character deaths (sometimes in an abrupt and inglorious fashion)... i think Vickers death was an attempt at doing something like that. i think he also liked the idea of killing the one character played by an oscar winner.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

RagingDragon.

Our wives have similar points of view. (And husbands that spend more time than necessary on AVPG  ;D.)

Vickers died the same way she lived. A ridged, inflexible (well ... only Janek knows for sure on that one), uncompromising, forward driven human being unable to deviate from her course. And the things she didn't believe in rolled right over top of her. Literally.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

It's nice to have that wonderful female perspective, ey? :laugh:  I wouldn't have thought of that myself, just being pissed at the flagrant waste of such a fine ass.  No, I'm not completely that shallow, but I think a lot of the angst and hurt feelings are over Charlize's caliber as an actor and the great potential for the character.

We can all safely blame the scattered, rushed nature of the film in the end, though, I think.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 06, 2012, 12:03:38 AM
flagrant waste of such a fine ass. 

Yeah. It was like the universe was getting her back for her tempting Janek with the ghetto bootie. Flatting it out, Faustian style. And with a ship no less.

but I think a lot of the angst and hurt feelings are over Charlize's caliber as an actor and the great potential for the character.

That's the style of these films though man. Great character actors portraying cannon fodder on borrowed time. In the tradition of John Hurt and Harry Dean Staton ... just gone too soon. I did feel they tried to Shoe-horn her into that role and a lot of the meater/juicier aspects of her character were invented on the spot for Charlize to chew on ego wise.

We can all safely blame the scattered, rushed nature of the film in the end, though, I think.

It suffers from not having the balls to savor it's own awesomeness. X-Men: First Class rushed to it's conclusion and hedged it's bets on not getting a direct sequel by all to quickly making Magneto go full darkside at the end. Wasting potential honey sweet character interactions and moments of development to just 'get there.'

Same thing with Captain America. They just threw is ass in the ice quick a minute so he could show up in the Avengers. Forgoing lots of WWII period richness with the Howling Commandos. Not to mention that fine, fine specimen of a woman he didn't get to have a relationship worthy of the present day pay off that could have brought tears to grown mens eyes.  :'(

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Interesting observations... I'll agree.

I honestly didn't think about Alien, because I felt like I knew almost everything you could learn about those characters before they died.  But it was just a more intimate movie, character speaking, anyway. 

I have often wondered what Kane would've done if, say, Dallas got hugged and he was in charge.  Someone should make a comic of that, Marvel "What If?" style...

Vickers

Vickers

I wouldn't have thought of that myself, just being pissed at the flagrant waste of such a fine ass.  No, I'm not completely that shallow, but I think a lot of the angst and hurt feelings are over Charlize's caliber as an actor and the great potential for the character.

I agree.  A complete waste.  Ridley's loss is Mad Max's gain. 8)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's nice to have that wonderful female perspective, ey? :laugh:  I wouldn't have thought of that myself, just being pissed at the flagrant waste of such a fine ass.  No, I'm not completely that shallow, but I think a lot of the angst and hurt feelings are over Charlize's caliber as an actor and the great potential for the character.

So you're saying she was killed off because the writers don't like an Oscar winner?

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

^ Does that mean Charlize herself, or the film in general?

If it's Charlize, I don't think her death was necessarily what hurt the film, though it did seem almost pointless, as if they threw it in as a last-minute addition.  At the point she dies, there wasn't much more for her to do anyway, unless they set up some great fight scene with her, Shaw, and the Engineer.  It would've taken more exploration of her character and emotional situations that forced her to make decisions before the collision, imo.

They had some great scenes with her, but along with the rest of the movie, it just went too damned fast for much to be able to happen.

According to Ridley, the film is Oscar-worthy as it stands.  Millions of dollars must simulate the effects of mad cocaine very closely. :laugh:

AcidForBlood

AcidForBlood

Haha I like that last bit  :D

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 05, 2012, 11:53:51 PM
Judging by Lindelof's comments about how much he loves stephen King and George R. R. Martin.. and the way they handle character deaths (sometimes in an abrupt and inglorious fashion)... i think Vickers death was an attempt at doing something like that. i think he also liked the idea of killing the one character played by an oscar winner.

She was going to die no matter what but i think it was stretched out to have the scene of Vicks getting into the pod be a callback to Alien when Ripley is getting to the space suit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed