Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 323,940 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Topics merged.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2012, 01:33:29 AM
Yeah but he was the creator of his "pups" (which by the way...making whining noises...?) so he should have had someway to see where they'd been. If not, then the writers weren't thinking things through and writing the characters into a dumb situation..hence the screenplay sucking.
He designed them, but it's not like he gets to bring a personal, customized explorers suit everywhere he goes. These suits looked brand spanking new, as one would expect from a trillion dollar enterprise.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

There was an implication that they were Fifield's design, but I didn't see it made explicit or definite.  He called them 'my pups' but he could be proprietary about his equipment.  Even so, he was erratic and volatile, and ill at ease with the expedition from the moment they began finding the corpses.

And yes, I wasn't sure anyone inside the temple could see what Janek and co. were seeing on the bridge in terms of the mapping.  Bottom line, it's human behavior - they're stuck inside a haunted house all night, and both Fifield and Millburn were tense.  If we're going to damn those characters we could damn a lot of people in all four movies.  Honestly, this kind of shit comes with the Internet age.  Nobody was bagging on Hudson and other Marines having issues despite their qualifications (tech, weapons, etc) when the second film came out, or knocking the crew of the Nostromo for letting the coolant tanks leak when Brett goes looking for the cat ("stupid bullshit!"  I can hear it now).

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 10, 2012, 01:13:15 AM
I don't understand what everyone's whining about with the screenplay. I never noticed the people out on the expedition actually having maps in the display, only the guys back at the Prometheus. The only thing they had was cameras, which were viewable back at the Prometheus. And the probes hadn't even finished mapping yet, so directions with an incomplete map would be useless. Could the Prometheus have guided them back? Maybe if they had their helmets on. But they took them off, didn't they? That also means they couldn't ask for directions.

And people say, 'oh, he's a geologist, he should know how to get around'. On earth, maybe, but not on a f**king alien planet in an alien building.

Spoiler
Actually the DO have the maps. When Janek contacts them about the ping he asks them for their location and Milburn looks at his wrist and calls out some grid location. Why wasnt this grid location device used before? And the probes not having mapped the whole ship completely makes it even easier to NOT get lost because they should have less paths to confuse anyone that for some reason  doesnt know how to read that hologram... which there shouldnt be one person there like that on the ship. Specially one monitoring the team. And how did those two leave the main team without anyone back at base knowing to start? They were all looking at the cameras.

And the helmets didnt have the cameras, the cameras where on the neck section. When Dave blocks his camera he puts his hand over his shoulder. The little device on top of the helmet was probably just lights. 
[close]

There is really absolutely no way with all the stuff that they setup on the film for this to happen. No way.
Unless there is a missing scene specifically negating all of that this is just bad writing.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

And why did the crew of Nostromo let sections of it fall into disrepair?  And why didn't they all stay in constant radio contact like they said?  And why did they only go after a monster with a net?  And why did they stop using firearms in the atmospheric processor?

Because it's a movie, and these films are all basically thrillers dressed up in larger ideas.  Brett goes looking for a cat, Dallas goes in the vents alone, Kane fools with an alien egg, no one checks out the derelict beacon between Alien and Aliens or ever finds the ship in 57 years...and yes, Janek and his crew assume Fifield and Millburn are tucked in for the night (they did do a sign-off) and go about their business.

Cybercat

Cybercat

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 01:57:46 AM
Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 10, 2012, 01:13:15 AM
I don't understand what everyone's whining about with the screenplay. I never noticed the people out on the expedition actually having maps in the display, only the guys back at the Prometheus. The only thing they had was cameras, which were viewable back at the Prometheus. And the probes hadn't even finished mapping yet, so directions with an incomplete map would be useless. Could the Prometheus have guided them back? Maybe if they had their helmets on. But they took them off, didn't they? That also means they couldn't ask for directions.

And people say, 'oh, he's a geologist, he should know how to get around'. On earth, maybe, but not on a f**king alien planet in an alien building.

Spoiler
Actually the DO have the maps. When Janek contacts them about the ping he asks them for their location and Milburn looks at his wrist and calls out some grid location. Why wasnt this grid location device used before? And the probes not having mapped the whole ship completely makes it even easier to NOT get lost because they should have less paths to confuse anyone that for some reason  doesnt know how to read that hologram... which there shouldnt be one person there like that on the ship. Specially one monitoring the team. And how did those two leave the main team without anyone back at base knowing to start? They were all looking at the cameras.

And the helmets didnt have the cameras, the cameras where on the neck section. When Dave blocks his camera he puts his hand over his shoulder. The little device on top of the helmet was probably just lights. 
[close]

There is really absolutely no way with all the stuff that they setup on the film for this to happen. No way.
Unless there is a missing scene specifically negating all of that this is just bad writing.

They don't have maps.  Actually watch the movie I guess and stop whining about non-existent things that happened.

BANE

BANE

Actually, he doesn't have a map. It was just a location reading, like longitude and latitude. You try negotiating a maze with longitude and latitude.

And did he cover up the camera or turn it off? I think he turned it off, in which case the neck or shoulder would be a probably location for the switch. And rethinking it, the camera is in the helmet. Just look at the views on the monitors back at the Prometheus. David touching his shoulder was probably him turning it off or taking his helmet off (which he did and Vickers swore).

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 10, 2012, 02:03:24 AM
And why did the crew of Nostromo let sections of it fall into disrepair?
Has nothing to do with the plot of the movie.

QuoteAnd why didn't they all stay in constant radio contact like they said?
They were in radio contact, but not as much as one character like.

QuoteAnd why did they only go after a monster with a net?
Because they are space truckers?
They had to make their own weapons, man.

And why did they stop using firearms in the atmospheric processor?[/quotes]
In Aliens? The part about the explosive round causing and explosion?

Because it's a movie, and these films are all basically thrillers dressed up in larger ideas
None of these films have people acting like kids for no reason.

QuoteBrett goes looking for a cat,
Yeah.... Rip was looking for her cat. He wanted to help

Dallas goes in the vents alone,
What's the problem here? There arent that many people in this crew an they were trying something.

Kane fools with an alien egg,
Yes a space trucker being a little off with his fear effect is within character.

Quoteno one checks out the derelict beacon between Alien and Aliens

What? Weyland send terraformers. That's the whole point of the second movie.

Quoteor ever finds the ship in 57 years
Because space is you know..... small.

Quote...and yes, Janek and his crew assume Fifield and Millburn are tucked in for the night (they did do a sign-off) and go about their business.

What? Two people separate from the team and the people looking at them dont notice this, how is this possible.
Explain to me this. How did they get lost with the different levels of safety.
This is what you are not understanding, there are numerous things the movie shows us the viewers to negate the possibility of this happening. This is not one character make a decision by himself when he is alone and no one else is around.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 02:15:49 AM

Neither does Fifield or Millburn's wrist thingies.

And why did they stop using firearms in the atmospheric processor?[/quotes]
In Aliens? The part about the explosive round causing and explosion?

And if that excuse was given in one of the films today it would be crucified - especially since they immediately open fire afterwards.  My point is, we went with it then, and it was fine.

QuoteBrett goes looking for a cat,
Yeah.... Rip was looking for her cat. He wanted to help

He reluctantly went after it after Parker ordered him to get it off the grid.  Fifield and Millburn try to avoid the 'ping' on Janek's map and end up in a bad spot in the temple.

Dallas goes in the vents alone,
What's the problem here? There arent that many people in this crew an they were trying something.

Again - if either of those things (Dallas or Kane) happened in the film today, you'd crucify it.  I love Alien - these things I mentioned are not actually problems for me personally.  But they are the same kind of stuff being nitpicked on Prometheus, because unlike Alien it does not hold a cherished place in our cultural memory.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Cybercat on Jun 10, 2012, 02:04:13 AM

They don't have maps.  Actually watch the movie I guess and stop whining about non-existent things that happened.

Yes they do. You dont have grid locations without a grid.

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 10, 2012, 02:07:02 AM
Actually, he doesn't have a map. It was just a location reading, like longitude and latitude. You try negotiating a maze with longitude and latitude.

This doesnt help your argument because.... that means they STILL have data on where they are at. On top of everything else.

And did he cover up the camera or turn it off? I think he turned it off, in which case the neck or shoulder would be a probably location for the switch. And rethinking it, the camera is in the helmet. Just look at the views on the monitors back at the Prometheus. David touching his shoulder was probably him turning it off or taking his helmet off (which he did and Vickers swore).

When Dave turns off the feed he doesnt have his helmet on and from Vicker's perspective you see his hand covering the feed which means he put his hand over the camera. 

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Cameras are on the shoulder.  Another example is Weyland's death - his body lying is angled so the cam sees half of his face, since it's on his shoulder.

Edit: I feel like Fifield maybe did have a map, because I do recall him telling the crew which way to go when they first go down there.  It could have been just once, but he does tell them which tunnel to take (though I don't know where they were headed).

BANE

BANE

Huh. I'll go rewatch it and confirm whatever the answer is. Sometime. Not now. I've got to repair my lawn mower blade. I actually ran over a squirrel carcass in my backyard today, and some bone (looked like a rib, but I can't be sure) got lodged and won't come out.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 10, 2012, 02:21:06 AMAgain - if either of those things (Dallas or Kane) happened in the film today, you'd crucify it.  I love Alien - these things I mentioned are not actually problems for me personally.  But they are the same kind of stuff being nitpicked on Prometheus, because unlike Alien it does not hold a cherished place in our cultural memory.

Dallas knows it's a terrible idea - as does the rest of the crew - and he portrays that nervousness on screen, so in effect we go along with him, we don't just sit back and laugh at his stupidity. Milburn fearlessly making friends with the hammerpede clashes with what we have seen of his character up to that point, whereas Kane shows a careless urge to explore the alien ship from the get go, which actually gels with looking into the egg without regard to his own safety.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Don't mean to kick a dead horse, but looking into some 4 petaled rock flower is a lot more justifiable than probing a penis worm that hisses and opened up into vaginal formation like a freaking cobra.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 10, 2012, 02:21:06 AM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 02:15:49 AM

Neither does Fifield or Millburn's wrist thingies.

They get brought up by a character when asked for their position which he replies by giving it.
You cannot be lost when you have a device where you look at to find your position.
If a character is lost he does not have any options, these two had plenty of options.
One of them being the device the movie decided to bring up in the scene that shows us these devices.

And if that excuse was given in one of the films today it would be crucified - especially since they immediately open fire afterwards.  My point is, we went with it then, and it was fine.
Do you actually remember aliens at all?
The explanation was sound back then at is still today.
One type of round can cause an explosion while the other doesnt.
Unless you dont know about bullets, which can be true, you should know that there are different types that have different effects.
So this movie saying that there is one kind that is dangerous to fire in this area and one there isnt... is no problem at all. And will never will be.

He reluctantly went after it after Parker ordered him to get it off the grid.  Fifield and Millburn try to avoid the 'ping' on Janek's map and end up in a bad spot in the temple.

My problem is the two getting lost.... not where they decided to go while they were in there.

Again - if either of those things (Dallas or Kane) happened in the film today, you'd crucify it.  I love Alien - these things I mentioned are not actually problems for me personally.  But they are the same kind of stuff being nitpicked on Prometheus, because unlike Alien it does not hold a cherished place in our cultural memory.

There is nothing to crucify. Dallas doesnt have an army to find the alien, he comes up with a plan and they go through with it. If he had many, many viable options shown in the film, some that are safer and look more successful and he didnt take them then there would be a problem. And this is the problem with Fif and Mil, they have many, many options to stop them from getting lost yet somehow they do. Not only that but there are people that are keeping an eye on them. The two getting lost has failures on many levels.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed