Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 324,852 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Scree on Oct 24, 2012, 01:18:04 PM
Don't know if this was already posted somewhere but I had such a blast  listening to those guys. They really know this stuff.  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osBFSuTRTqk#ws
That's what I'm talking about in another Prometheus thread. :)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Scree on Oct 24, 2012, 01:18:04 PMDon't know if this was already posted somewhere but I had such a blast  listening to those guys. They really know this stuff.  :laugh:
24:45. Vintage AVPG :laugh:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=43053.msg1338079#msg1338079

Damn, that was just for a laugh - these guys make it all serious and shit.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Scree on Oct 24, 2012, 01:18:04 PM
Don't know if this was already posted somewhere but I had such a blast  listening to those guys. They really know this stuff.  :laugh:

The science is fun to hear.

Their film criticisms are a boring retread of a thousand previous conversations.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 24, 2012, 03:03:43 PM
Quote from: Scree on Oct 24, 2012, 01:18:04 PMDon't know if this was already posted somewhere but I had such a blast  listening to those guys. They really know this stuff.  :laugh:

Holy crap Chris!   ;D

What a blast from the past!  LOL.  Good times.

I love how many of us had raised these very points/concerns, regarding the science (or lack thereof), well before the film was even released...based solely upon pre-release information, trailers, media, etc.   

Again, I reiterate (and emphasis), this all occured here on this forum BEFORE the film was even released!
Shit, we had entire conversations regarding the bad science already apparent from the leaked pre-release info., previews, teasers, trailers and viral website info.:

-- The "star map", INCLUDING the fact that the relative positions and associations of star clusters/positions would dramatically change over the course of tens of thousands of years.
--  The distance and travel time to LV-223 assuming relativistic speeds, including the shipboard (proper time) versus the time elapsed on Earth.  f**k, I even programmed an Excel spreadsheet using GR equations in order to make exact calculations.
--  The seeding of primitive terrestrial life by the "engineers" that somehow gives rise to humans despite 3.8+ Gyrs of Evolution.  The point being that there is ABSOLUTELY no way that the "engineers" had any right to expect (even in their wildest dreams) that a life-form identical to themselves (i.e., Homo sapiens sapiens) would eventually arise, given the almost infinite probability space that 3.8 Gyrs of Evolution via Natural Selection exists within.
-- The previous is further complicated by the fact that, evidentally, the "engineer" civilization stuck around, with little to no change, for the subsequent 3.8 Gyrs.  This is simply ludicrous.

And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  It has been awhile.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 25, 2012, 01:13:18 AMf**k, I even programmed an Excel spreadsheet using GR equations in order to make exact calculations.

LOL I remember that now. :laugh:

I learnt a lot about GR back then, so it wasn't all for naught.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 25, 2012, 01:13:18 AM
--  The distance and travel time to LV-223 assuming relativistic speeds, including the shipboard (proper time) versus the time elapsed on Earth.  f**k, I even programmed an Excel spreadsheet using GR equations in order to make exact calculations.
This doesn't bother me - Lambert said the Nostromo would take 10 months to get from Zeta II Reticuli back to Earth. I think in Aliens that is reduced to a matter of weeks.

Quote--  The seeding of primitive terrestrial life by the "engineers" that somehow gives rise to humans despite 3.8+ Gyrs of Evolution.  The point being that there is ABSOLUTELY no way that the "engineers" had any right to expect (even in their wildest dreams) that a life-form identical to themselves (i.e., Homo sapiens sapiens) would eventually arise, given the almost infinite probability space that 3.8 Gyrs of Evolution via Natural Selection exists within.

They didn't put it in the film -and should have- but according to making of materials the Engineers laid the seed for all life, and then manipulated certain strains to end up with us. They gave us mental and physical upgrades (<-- a paraphrase) throughout the years. We were actively engineered throughout history.

Quote-- The previous is further complicated by the fact that, evidentally, the "engineer" civilization stuck around, with little to no change, for the subsequent 3.8 Gyrs.  This is simply ludicrous.

Yup. Though, devil's advocate here, Scott said that's not necessarily Earth we're seeing in the opening.

The Creation stuff annoys me, very much, but there are a couple of okay explanations. Trouble is, they ain't in the frickin' movie  >:(

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 25, 2012, 01:13:18 AM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 24, 2012, 03:03:43 PM

Holy crap Chris!   ;D

What a blast from the past!  LOL.  Good times.

I love how many of us had raised these very points/concerns, regarding the science (or lack thereof), well before the film was even released...based solely upon pre-release information, trailers, media, etc.   

Again, I reiterate (and emphasis), this all occured here on this forum BEFORE the film was even released!
Shit, we had entire conversations regarding the bad science already apparent from the leaked pre-release info., previews, teasers, trailers and viral website info.:

-- The "star map", INCLUDING the fact that the relative positions and associations of star clusters/positions would dramatically change over the course of tens of thousands of years.
--  The seeding of primitive terrestrial life by the "engineers" that somehow gives rise to humans despite 3.8+ Gyrs of Evolution.  The point being that there is ABSOLUTELY no way that the "engineers" had any right to expect (even in their wildest dreams) that a life-form identical to themselves (i.e., Homo sapiens sapiens) would eventually arise, given the almost infinite probability space that 3.8 Gyrs of Evolution via Natural Selection exists within.
-- The previous is further complicated by the fact that, evidentally, the "engineer" civilization stuck around, with little to no change, for the subsequent 3.8 Gyrs.  This is simply ludicrous.

And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  It has been awhile.

:) :) ::) :P

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/06/16/questions-about-prometheus-spoilers/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_24983

A lot of the same complaints that some people find boring and or angering.....
Some of it can be explained quite easily, some of it can explained in quite interesting ways. As Valaquen says there is some really interesting idea and explanations for these issues out there but sadly Scott elected not to put all of it in teh actual movie.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Don't know if this has been posted, but I got a kick out of it. Another scathing deconstruction.

http://digitaldigging.net/blog/prometheus-an-archaeological-perspective/

This was just one of the comments below the article that I found utterly hilarious:

QuoteI hear you, but it's not like Ridley Scott is a nub at this. He has been making movies for over 30 years. There is really no good excuse for someone of his caliber to put out something like this.I didn't walk out of the theater going "Woah! That ws bad!", I walked out baffled, like a seven year old who just ran into his grandparents having sex.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

"It seems that at least one part of the crew selection procedure took the form of a raffle at an arsehole convention."

This has made my morning, cheers Rage!

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 30, 2012, 10:38:25 PM
"It seems that at least one part of the crew selection procedure took the form of a raffle at an arsehole convention."

This has made my morning, cheers Rage!

:laugh:

It's great reading what the common working professional has to say.

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Watched Prometheus with a friend yesterday. During the mission briefing he paused the film to ask: "Wait. So these people are sent on a multi-year, multi-billion mission, but they don't know what the mission is about? And they're there just because that woman chooses to believe the images in the caves represent our creators? And this guy in the horrible old guy makeup puts her and her boyfriend in charge?" Needless to say, he didn't really enjoy the movie. In fact, he was laughing his ass off during certain scenes and bored to death most of the time.

This was my third time seeing it, and I've kinda come to terms with the movie. What really makes me sad is that Prometheus could have been really good. The visuals are wonderful, the basic idea of the film is ok, but the characters, their actions and the script overall just sucks, there's no way around it.

I still can't believe what went on in the writers mind when they decided that Janek should leave Fifield and Millburn alone in the caves, just  to get laid. I mean seriously, WTF? First of all, It's completely unnecessary - the raging storm could have just cut down all communications. Second of all, it makes the captain, and consequently the whole mission seem completely reckless, irresponsible and haphazard.

I'm also baffled by Hollloway's sulking when he didn't get to talk to the engineers. They've been in the structure one single time for a period of few hours, and he's down because they didn't immediately find what he was thinking. Scientist, in general, know very well that gathering information and getting answers usually takes a long time. There's also the alien corpses, their culture, the structure itself, the vases, the black stuff, etc... to examine and study, just for starters. And what about the rest of the planet? Did the writers really think it was a good idea to have him get drunk and depressed? And speaking of the first visit: Since there's tons of stuff still to explore (really, they've been in the structure once!), why does Weyland immediately want them to "try harder" when he talks with David? They've traveled two years to get there, and now he can't even wait for a couple of days, just so they could at least try to figure out what's going on the planet?

Me thinks the writers really didn't know how to push the story forward in a natural way, so they had to come up with something very much artificial.

There's absolutely no point in revealing that Vickers is Weyland's daughter. It doesn't change anything or add anything to the film. Instead, it just seems like a desperate attempt to add "depth" to one the characters, which is also the case with Shaw's inability to have children.

There's also no point in having Holloway taking his helmet off. Or Fifield smoking a joint in his spacesuit. I hear "defenders" of the film say stuff like "they could very well do that, it's not impossible" Sure, it's possible. But both actions are, again, completely unnecessary for the film. It's like a character letting out a massive fart during some scene. Sure, people do that. But you don't need to put that in a movie. It's unnecessary and makes the characters, as well as the writers, seem stupid.

Random causes of complaint: The flute. The way random guy #6 just goes "Fifield, hey Fifield" (really bad acting, by the way), when Fifield's forehead is all bulging, his face melted and he's obviously a monster at that point. The fact that nobody asks Shaw what happened after she's had the abortion (seriously, everybody looks at her like she's just menstruating all over the place or something).  The discussion before the suicide run just makes me cringe, every single time. How the hell did Fifield manage to get lost, when earlier he's obviously navigating with his pups and wrist computer? Why does Shaw still believe in a Christian god, when it's obvious that the engineers created us, thus rendering the Bible, it's stories and pretty much all of Christian faith false?

I know most of these issues are old and already discussed to death. Just needed to ventilate a bit. Rant over.

Aspie

Aspie

Can some one explain the hatred for this movie? I honestly don't get it.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Aspie on Nov 11, 2012, 06:13:03 PM
Can some one explain the hatred for this movie? I honestly don't get it.

Disappointment yes, hatred no (At least for me.)

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2012, 05:20:24 PM
Here's hoping you get to engage in some wrong-side-business, Eva ;D

NEW ENTRY FOR THIS THREAD
WARNING, SERIOUS PROMETHEUS SPOILERS
Spoiler
I'm not joking, this is actually spoiler based.
Spoiler
You've been warned!
Spoiler
[close]
[close]
[close]

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 03, 2012, 02:07:03 AM
The Ending of Prometheus (Seriously)

Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 07, 2012, 12:29:48 AM
"But the Engineers, and the Tapirs, they're the same.

Moses will discover this, he will discover these f**king things, and call them Engine-Tapirs."

http://geektyrant.com/storage/0999-post-images/rdileyscott5302012.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1338504944122

Quote from: Vickers on Jun 10, 2012, 07:03:21 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/22jmtf.jpg

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 03, 2012, 06:02:50 AM
How PROMETHEUS Should Have Ended
(Warning: spoilers)

Spoiler

[close]

"Space Jesus died for your franchise." -Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on Nov 11, 2012, 01:36:24 AM
Trying to impose any sort of logic on Lindelof's magical hand waving is an effort in futility. As a matter of fact, I have found it is best not to think about it. As Shakespeare said... "O, that way madness lies."

BAD_ASS_MOFO

BAD_ASS_MOFO

9/10

I'll rate it 10 if the alternate and deleted scenes minus the alien/fifield scene was reinserted.

Film was amazing. never expected to like it so much especially after seeing the crybaby reviews. Definitely the 2nd best film I've seen this year next to Looper

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed