Is the Alien really evil?

Started by facehugger13, May 17, 2012, 08:40:53 AM

Author
Is the Alien really evil? (Read 8,542 times)

Gash

Gash

I'd like to think of it as evil and sadistic. If it's just it's nature I can't really root for anyone against it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I would like to think it is beyond arbitrary terms such as good and evil... way, way beyond evil.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 17, 2012, 04:12:43 PM
Xenomorphine again kills with immense meticulousness.

This is due to my membership of Unicorn Success Club.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

i don't think any comparison has ever gotten as close to what i consider the xenomorphs' true behavior as the Dolphins'.

hats off, Morphine, hats off.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Yeah, I'll never go back in the water.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I used to like dolphins.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Gash on May 17, 2012, 09:18:19 PM
I'd like to think of it as evil and sadistic. If it's just it's nature I can't really root for anyone against it.

I'm not sure I follow your logic sir.

If someone is being chased by a lion, you wouldn't find yourself rooting the person to get away from the lion?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 18, 2012, 08:24:50 PM...you wouldn't find yourself rooting the person to get away from the lion?

:o :laugh:

Gash

Gash

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 18, 2012, 08:24:50 PM
Quote from: Gash on May 17, 2012, 09:18:19 PM

I'm not sure I follow your logic sir.

If someone is being chased by a lion, you wouldn't find yourself rooting the person to get away from the lion?

If they can get away, good for them. I wouldn't be rooting for someone to shoot the lion just 'cause it's doing what lions do.

chupacabras acheronsis

One could argue that if the Lion was being chased and had a rifle it would do the same.

humans do what humans do.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Gash on May 19, 2012, 03:34:05 AM
If they can get away, good for them. I wouldn't be rooting for someone to shoot the lion just 'cause it's doing what lions do.

Okay. *Will never go on a trip to Africa with Gash, ever*  :laugh:

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 19, 2012, 02:09:21 AM
:o :laugh:

What?

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on May 19, 2012, 03:36:27 AM
One could argue that if the Lion was being chased and had a rifle it would do the same.

humans do what humans do.

Exactly, and I would not fault my own species for gunning down a wild animal that was endangering a human. To Hell with that lion.

I was merely trying to illustrate... The Alien is an animal. A very unique one, sure, but it's still an animal, as are we. I don't really hate any animals, but if it's a threat to me, or my family. Kill it. Kill it with fire, nuke it from orbit, light the EM EFFER up with an M56 Smartgun. Whatever gets the job done as long as there be danger thar... Yar. :D

PsyKore

PsyKore

I think the Alien is more interesting to think about if it's a thinking sadistic bastard. The Aliens in the latter movies follow the more survival traits, but the first Alien definitely has a menace to him which is more interesting to me personally. I wouldn't necessarily say "evil" is the right word to describe him, but I like to think of it like a being without any moral boundaries or dilemmas, so it would be free to indulge in what it desires at any given time with no after-thought. I think that makes the Alien more frightening.

Predaker

Predaker

From the perspective of some people they are evil, but depending on their origins they may just be trying to survive. If they turn out to be biomechanical weapons, then that is evil.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Predaker on May 26, 2012, 01:36:43 AM
If they turn out to be biomechanical weapons, then that is evil.

How would their origins make a difference to whether human ethics can be applied to what they do?

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 26, 2012, 01:52:58 AM
Quote from: Predaker on May 26, 2012, 01:36:43 AM
If they turn out to be biomechanical weapons, then that is evil.

How would their origins make a difference to whether human ethics can be applied to what they do?
The intent of the creators (engineers?) to inflict horrible atrocities. Or perhaps they were a mistake...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed