Is the Alien really evil?

Started by facehugger13, May 17, 2012, 08:40:53 AM

Author
Is the Alien really evil? (Read 8,540 times)

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 29, 2012, 02:10:05 AM
Or as the Alien was, driven by it's natural reproductive processes.

Also, the alien really didn't 'hunt down' anyone, when you really look at the film.

Brett stumbles on the Alien while it's taking a nap.
Dallas and the Alien bump into each other (Dallas goes the 'wrong way')
Parker and Lambert it's iffy, but i'd honestly put that more up to them being on the lower level. The Alien seemed to like being down there.

The Alien being on the Narcissus is a different matter. I've always took it as being highly coincidental. The Alien had been disturbed, and was trying to find a quiet corner of the ship to rest.

I dunno mate. The fact that the Alien is always in the right place at the right time seems to be more than incidental. That looks to me like a good semblance of intelligence on the Alien's part. I don't like to think of Aliens as like moths that blindly follow their instinct into a light source, or something. Not saying anyone here does say that, but that's what I think when I hear Aliens described in a manner as mindless and just following their instinct. I think there's a lot more to them, personally, a lot more darker qualities. A:RES also later shows us they can assess and "think" about whatever situation they're in; and this also confirms to me that they could easily be capable of sadistic traits. The original, especially, the way it gestures and moves indicates to me that there's more brewing through its mind than just simple survival.

But I guess this whole subject is really up to personal interpretation. Personally, I find it fascinating if Aliens are sadistic and perverted rather than operating solely on instinct.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 29, 2012, 02:10:05 AM
Quote from: Predaker on May 28, 2012, 11:46:08 PM
Well I imagine a predator like a lion or dinosaur might be most deadly in its natural habitat, but if something like that were born alone on a spaceship full of people it would be more inclinced to hide and stay hidden rather than methodically hunt down and kill everyone.

Unless it was hungry.

Or as the Alien was, driven by it's natural reproductive processes.

Also, the alien really didn't 'hunt down' anyone, when you really look at the film.

Brett stumbles on the Alien while it's taking a nap.
Dallas and the Alien bump into each other (Dallas goes the 'wrong way')
Parker and Lambert it's iffy, but i'd honestly put that more up to them being on the lower level. The Alien seemed to like being down there.

The Alien being on the Narcissus is a different matter. I've always took it as being highly coincidental. The Alien had been disturbed, and was trying to find a quiet corner of the ship to rest.

The Alien in the first film is a very sleepy animal when you think about it.  :laugh: Probably from the rapid growth rate. :)

Quote from: Predaker on May 28, 2012, 11:46:08 PM
I guess what i am getting at is that if they are naturally occuring then they probably are not evil. If they are some kind of creation gone wrong, then I view that as evil in the context of their actions.

If they are a weapon, they still aren't evil. Anymore than a sword or a gun is evil itself.
Guns and swords are inanimate objects.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well the creature surely wouldn't any more evil than any vicious wild animals that are dangerous to mankind.  It's up to humans to stay away from them. Maybe if now they're bio weapons, they're possibly the product of the evil of another race depending on what Prometheus has to do with Alien.

Gash

Gash

When I said the Alien salivates prior to attack, yes, that's in all the movies, but the way Ridley shot it in the Brett attack, head down with a couple of bits of dangling KY literally pumping and pausing and pumping and pausing watery goo like some lazy pre-ejacualtion seems far more bizarre and is echoed by the discordant pulsing in some of Goldsmith's music (particulary Parker and Lambert's demise).

This might by massively over analysing things, but it's those little touches that, yes, make the alien seem natural, like something shot by OSF, but also give it an extra level of alieness, whereas Aliens seems go for stringy goop, or stretchy gum-like deposits.

In other word if you're going to choose a lubricant go for KY instead of chewing gum!

Anyway, back to the OP. These touches that Ridley made and the slower more meticulous attack in the one really revealing scene do appear to give the creature more than just a natural hunter approach. I wouldn't choose the word evil really as that appears to belong in a different genre, but sadistic yes. The human DNA in it perhaps?

Predaker

Predaker

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Ridley himself said its a creature guided by instinct living solely to reproduce. The quote was in Val's "Alien Intelligence" article

Gash

Gash

Well, as one of the earliest tag lines went....

"It killed to live, and lived to kill."

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Gash on May 29, 2012, 03:59:18 PM
Well, as one of the earliest tag lines went....

"It killed to live, and lived to kill."

Yup, which was a terrific line

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed