Xenos artificial intelligence (or lack thereof)

Started by Salt The Fries, Mar 09, 2012, 04:31:46 PM

Author
Xenos artificial intelligence (or lack thereof) (Read 3,127 times)

Terx2

I'm just gonna wait till the final product comes out then I'm gonna judge it. Till then I don't care.

alanwu1233

Stop judging the game until it releases >:(

chupacabras acheronsis

im not judging the game, im judging its development. if you people want to take an inferior product home, go ahead and look the other way. i have waited enough.

if there is a moment to put every single issue on the table, that moment is now. there will not be another aliens game if this f**ks up.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Mar 11, 2012, 02:18:49 PM
im not judging the game, im judging its development. if you people want to take an inferior product home, go ahead and look the other way.
Those two sentences are contradictory - you're saying that you're judging the development (and admitting that it's an unfinished product) but then saying that this unfinished product is "inferior" - of COURSE it's inferior, it's unfinished. Like the poster above you said, wait and judge the final product.

Quotethere will not be another aliens game if this f**ks up.
Yeah this isn't true, especially when we've already got more Aliens games in production right now.
It isn't the Aliens property that's flawed, especially when there's plenty of awesome Aliens games out there already. FOX surely recognizes this and even if Colonial Marines totally tanked, if another studio came along and said "we can make something awesome because Aliens is awesome" I'm confident they'd let it happen. It's not like Aliens is video-game poison or something, doomed to fail for all eternity.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

What worries me how all the AVP games before were basically an expression of fanboyism towards Aliens and I hope this one won't be the same.

And on topic: I hope Aliens will be very versatile and employ a variety of tactics, including bashing through doors, making holes in the subflooring, making them powerful as they really are, encircling you via air ducts, intelligent retreating, motionless waiting hidden in the shadows, blended with the environment, etc.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 11, 2012, 05:53:21 PM
Those two sentences are contradictory - you're saying that you're judging the development (and admitting that it's an unfinished product) but then saying that this unfinished product is "inferior" - of COURSE it's inferior, it's unfinished. Like the poster above you said, wait and judge the final product.

i mean when it's done. you can't possibly miss that. what the f**k is the point of complaining after the game is released? all i want is the game to be perfect, not just good enough. once it's out, it's either good or shit. you know Sega, they won't even patch it. the delay is the best thing that could have happened to this game.

if i don't like what i see, i have every right as you do to express my thoughts about it, and don't say i'm mindlessly complaining because you've read every argument i've made, and all the counter arguments i've seen come down to "YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW" and "SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF GOES AS FAR AS I NEED IT"

Yeah this isn't true, especially when we've already got more Aliens games in production right now.
It isn't the Aliens property that's flawed, especially when there's plenty of awesome Aliens games out there already. FOX surely recognizes this and even if Colonial Marines totally tanked, if another studio came along and said "we can make something awesome because Aliens is awesome" I'm confident they'd let it happen. It's not like Aliens is video-game poison or something, doomed to fail for all eternity.

like it happened to AvP2010, right? if it isn't a huge hit right off the bat there's no much chance we will see an aliens only game in the next six years. they would rather stick to the tried and true AvP formula with it's more varied and arcadey gameplay and generic story with no continuity.

and what other game is getting done right now?

RagingDragon

im not judging the game, im judging its development. if you people want to take an inferior product home, go ahead and look the other way. i have waited enough.

if there is a moment to put every single issue on the table, that moment is now. there will not be another aliens game if this f**ks up.
I agree wholeheartedly.  If I were ever to overanalyze a new Aliens product to the point of madness, this is it.  Worth every bit of my scrutiny and attention.

And the two sentences weren't contradictory, because he wasn't comparing the in-development game to a final product.  He said that the ai doesn't look dynamic after Gearbox saying, during the gameplay video, that the aliens were controlled by dynamic, sophisticated ai.  He was correct.

::)

Xenomrph

Quoteand what other game is getting done right now?
The one by Creative Assembly.

Predaker

From the perspective of your average gamer, I can see this shaping up to be a decent game. From the perspective of a die-hard Aliens fan, however, it's not up to par at all. I haven't played the game yet, but what we have been shown so far has been underwhelming, to say the least. Gearbox probably has their hands tied behind their back by fox/sega, because the bottom line is dollars and cents. If it doesn't make dollars, it don't make sense. I believe they are following a linear style action gameplay because call of duty was so successful. The aliens won't be your problem, the crusher will. Just sit back and enjoy the show, if an alien happens to run in front of your gun, pull the trigger... lol

Tribal

if there is a moment to put every single issue on the table, that moment is now.

I think you right. If people doesnt talked about the aliens' tail they wouldn't have changed it.

If they see the people is talking about the artificial intelligence issues, maybe they put more effort to make it right  ;)

RagingDragon

Quote from: Predaker on Mar 11, 2012, 06:55:12 PM
From the perspective of your average gamer, I can see this shaping up to be a decent game. From the perspective of a die-hard Aliens fan, however, it's not up to par at all. I haven't played the game yet, but what we have been shown so far has been underwhelming, to say the least. Gearbox probably has their hands tied behind their back by fox/sega, because the bottom line is dollars and cents. If it doesn't make dollars, it don't make sense. I believe they are following a linear style action gameplay because call of duty was so successful. The aliens won't be your problem, the crusher will. Just sit back and enjoy the show, if an alien happens to run in front of your gun, pull the trigger... lol
Scary but very likely true.

I like to think that fans had some bearing on the tail choice, it does seem that way.  That's the point, especially because more and more game developers pay attention to what the fans have to say these days.

That's obviously good and bad, but it's fun for fans anyway.  I think it's fun to talk about, even if the end product didn't change much from the discussions.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 11, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Mar 11, 2012, 06:55:12 PM
Scary but very likely true.

I like to think that fans had some bearing on the tail choice, it does seem that way.  That's the point, especially because more and more game developers pay attention to what the fans have to say these days.

That's obviously good and bad, but it's fun for fans anyway.  I think it's fun to talk about, even if the end product didn't change much from the discussions.

Yes, we may not be able to change this into our "dream game," but there are little things like the tail sail which was an easy fix. That's really cool to see they have been listening to yall and devoted to the fans, when possible.

If this turns out to be a free-roaming, fly by the seat of your pants multiplayer co-op action/adventure, we may have a gem on our hands. Call of Duty was fun but the linear style gameplay gets old.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed